Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

If we keep winning, will we lose Kiffin?

We all knew this would be a possibility, but after 1-3 start with our ooc scedule, figured we still had a work in progress and no way this year.

Well we are 7-3, undefeated in cusa, and very well on track to finish 9-3 which is fantastic for us, and a conference win 10-3, and bowl game win 11-3…. yeah I would think he will be gone.

Obviously we wanted to rock, hate to lose him only after a season but it's bound to come up.

Thoughts?

But it has  been an awesome ride for us owks, let's enjoy it and rock out the rest of the season, we deserve and we needed this.
#goowls 
Back to the top

There's no concensus.

Everybody acknowledges that he can coach, that he's done a great job for us and what middling P5 team wouldn't want the same turnaround and high-scoring offense? By those marks, yeah, he could be gone.

On the other hand, others say he needs to be successful for a few seasons to show loyalty to a program. Furthermore some have argued that his Twitter antics would not be as well received at a top program.

Hard to say but he's definitely putting forward his best "get me out of here, I'm one of you" coaching performances this season.

As I've said before, I hope that if he leaves we can retain Briles as HC. If we couldn't have either of them, I wonder who we'd go for. I'd imagine after experiencing this success, President Kelly would want someone comparable and hopefully not slip back into hiring another Partridge-type (with all due respect to Charlie)
Back to the top

SCowl said

We all knew this would be a possibility, but after 1-3 start with our ooc scedule, figured we still had a work in progress and no way this year.

Well we are 7-3, undefeated in cusa, and very well on track to finish 9-3 which is fantastic for us, and a conference win 10-3, and bowl game win 11-3…. yeah I would think he will be gone.

Obviously we wanted to rock, hate to lose him only after a season but it's bound to come up.

Thoughts?

But it has  been an awesome ride for us owks, let's enjoy it and rock out the rest of the season, we deserve and we needed this.
#goowls

Posted On: Nov 12th 2017, 10:09 AM #373197

Depends on the job.  I don't think he just leaves for any P5 job.  He has the luxury to wait for the right offer.  If UCLA comes a calling there is a high probability he will say adios.  I don't think the prime P5 jobs are ready to give him the chance and therefore I think we have him next season.
Back to the top

The interesting spot for me will be UCF. I'm not sure a P5 gives him a chance this quick butt Frost will be fine and my guess is they come after Lane. Briles will be our next head coach I am told and we should all consider that a good thing. He's you and will stay at least 3-4 years before he's picked off. 
Back to the top

My useless opinion on this is simple. Lane will leave for one of two reasons. First, he goes to a program that he feels he can develop and beat his old coach. Two, some team , a big program, throws an absolute stupid amount of money at him. Remember, this is still his job. He will not make a pit stop in Orlando , only to move again in a year or two. He can achieve the same thing by staying in Boca. One thing I am certain of. FAU fans will have zero warning that this is coming. He is a tight lipped dude. My guess, I said guess, is he needs another year to get rid of the "But he is Lane Kiffen" label. I personally don't know why so many dislike him. He is a professional football coach. You hire him to do that. Is he the greatest of nice guys…no. But who cares.  I'm certain he is on a lot of lists of potential hires.
Back to the top

FAUALUM0526 said

The interesting spot for me will be UCF. I'm not sure a P5 gives him a chance this quick butt Frost will be fine and my guess is they come after Lane. Briles will be our next head coach I am told and we should all consider that a good thing. He's you and will stay at least 3-4 years before he's picked off. 
Posted On: Nov 12th 2017, 11:55 AM #373209

Don't think he would go to UCF and stay outside of a P5. I think we have him for next year. which can honestly be an amazing, amazing year for this program given the talent that will be here. I'm fine with Briles as the successor, and would also be fine with Chris Kiffin if Briles ever gets picked off.
Back to the top

Just another opinion but he’s absolutely not leaving Boca to go to UCF.  He will leave when he gets a big offer from a top tier p5 school which is at least 1 year away hopefully 2.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

If the right job comes along he leaves and the right job involves the west coast.

I'm sure he'll be getting a pay raise from Kelly/Chun in the near future. So, there's nothing wrong with making a couple mil living in Boca on the inter-coastal. Plus the stress level equals his pay. If he leaves for example to Gainesville making 5mil a year he's living in a swamp with lots of pressure. Granted, he's making big bucks but the quality of life isn't on par with living in Boca. The guy was making 1.5mil in Tuscaloosa living in an apartment. One would assume he has some money saved up….

That my story and I'm sticking to it….I'm also praying it plays out to be true…..

Go Owls!
Back to the top

I had an old friend.Grew up with him locally. He became a big football star, great assistant coach and eventually a head coach at Southern Mississippi. He had tons of offers to go with a big team. Stayed in Hattisburg and coached 17 years. Still lives there. Who knows what Lane is thinking. Money is important. But, I can't believe I'm saying this, being somewhere that makes you happy, is also important.
Back to the top

cbboarder said

I'm sure he'll be getting a pay raise from Kelly/Chun in the near future.

$1.5M? $2M?

I thought about that too, whether we could afford to bump it up after this first stellar season. Same with Briles, if it's true that he feels massively underpaid.

cbboarder said

Plus the stress level equals his pay. If he leaves for example to Gainesville making 5mil a year he's living in a swamp with lots of pressure.

Exactly. I get the high risk, high reward thing but man, the constant threat of losing your job if you lose a couple games has to wear on people. Here we gave Partridge THREE years of 3-9 before we said adios.

cbboarder said

Granted, he's making big bucks but the quality of life isn't on par with living in Boca. The guy was making 1.5mil in Tuscaloosa living in an apartment.

It's curious, isn't it? Lived in an apartment there but bought a house here?
Back to the top
Control functions: