Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

If we keep winning, will we lose Kiffin?

Owl2Doc said

cbboarder said

Granted, he's making big bucks but the quality of life isn't on par with living in Boca. The guy was making 1.5mil in Tuscaloosa living in an apartment.
It's curious, isn't it? Lived in an apartment there but bought a house here?

Posted On: Nov 12th 2017, 1:17 PM #373218

is it curious?  Lets analyze:  Real estate in Tuscaloosa < Real estate on the Intracoastal in Boca Raton.
Back to the top

We all know he will go… just hope we get one more season of this awesomeness!!!

#goodtimes
#goowls
Back to the top

FAUALUM0526 said

The interesting spot for me will be UCF. I'm not sure a P5 gives him a chance this quick butt Frost will be fine and my guess is they come after Lane. Briles will be our next head coach I am told and we should all consider that a good thing. He's you and will stay at least 3-4 years before he's picked off. 
Posted On: Nov 12th 2017, 11:55 AM #373209

I don't believe this for one moment.  Knowing a little bit as to how the Kiff hire went down; this makes absolutely zero sense.
Back to the top

SCowl said

We all know he will go… just hope we get one more season of this awesomeness!!!

#goodtimes
#goowls

Posted On: Nov 12th 2017, 10:23 PM #373261

I dont think one year of 9-3 in the CUSA is enough to get a P-5 school to break the piggy bank
I expect to have Lane for at least 2 and possibly 3 years.

Hes not gonna leave us for low tier SEC money. When he leaves
it will be for an obscene amount of money and a program that will allow
him a similar level of control and quality of faciltiies to what FAU does.

He already passed over 2x the money for an OC job elsewhere.
Back to the top

sigep77 said

FAUALUM0526 said

The interesting spot for me will be UCF. I'm not sure a P5 gives him a chance this quick butt Frost will be fine and my guess is they come after Lane. Briles will be our next head coach I am told and we should all consider that a good thing. He's you and will stay at least 3-4 years before he's picked off.
Posted On: Nov 12th 2017, 11:55 AM #373209
I don't believe this for one moment.  Knowing a little bit as to how the Kiff hire went down; this makes absolutely zero sense.

Posted On: Nov 13th 2017, 12:09 AM #373263

Anyone who uses this quote "I am told" would not know anything from anyone who actually knew, because they wouldn't betray that persons trust.  In addition, the person telling him is probably so far out of the circle he's just playing with you.  Briles wouldn't be the first selection on staff in my opinion.  That's opinion not someone telling me something they don't know.
Back to the top

I think he has to stay 3 Year’s or 4 years max if he has a sub par or bad season in between.  Even though we are winning remember these are Partridges recruits, he walked into a gold mine with Singletary.  He’s just utilizing the players better, overall it’s easy when the bar was so low from the get go.  I don’t think others are impressed abut this,  he needs to win consistently beat an Oklahoma or Ohio st.  If he left for a low end P5 job say Ole Miss he’s just going to get clobbered by Alabama every year.
He may not be given as much control, at another program.  At FAU he can be that coach that takes a program out of mediocrity and brought up to the level competition. If he leaves early it will be the same oh Lane is doing it again.  Guz Malzahn has a one year stint where Arkansas St.  won lots of games and it worked for him because it wasn’t looked down upon to leave to Auburn. Overall  Kiffin has to have many great seasons to get the keys to a bigger car, unless a program is desperate, if he jumped ship then it may result failure.  We need him and he needs us.  4 Year’s max and 3 Year’s for sure.
Back to the top

This years jobs, as they stand today, don’t seem to fit the bill.

Tennessee: good big time SEC job, but there is no way the administration can look their boosters in the face with this hire. They’re in the position they’re in today bc if the snowball caused by Lane leaving like he did.

Florida: too big of a job for them to risk it on Lane, they’ve had two “step up” coaches already who failed, there is too much pressure on the new AD to hit a home run he can’t risk Lane. Dan Mullen is the best choice here but he may have an sec Clause in his contract. 

Arkansas/Ole Miss: potential jobs, SEC, but basement dwellers. Not really the SEC dream scenerio, living in Arkansas coming from Boca (when we know Lane likes living on the water, fishing, women in bikinis) would be an awful move.

Are there any other big time jobs on the horizon? What’s the UCLA coaching situation? I know why’ve has a disappointing season. That’s where I see the risk for us right now a big time west coast job where he can be with his kids and prove he’s not a chump to the USC AD. It’s that or a job where he can beat Saban 
Back to the top

50/50 on:
Texas A&M
Nebraska

Places that could be looking after next year if season is bad:
UNC
LSU

And the other thing is the guys who go and take all of these jobs mentioned are going to be leaving jobs that will now be open.  For example, Frost takes one of these and UCF is a "bigger" job than FAU. Dan Mullen takes one and another SEC job (Miss St) is available.  Every job above is going to get a coach from most likely a good and well-known P5 school or a top G5.  I guess they could go the coordinator route, but several on this list are in the "have to make a splash hire" category. 

The good news is Lane is not the kind of splash several on here can risk taking, or they are jobs you would have to think he doesn't necessarily want at this time. 
Back to the top

Lane is different than most up and coming coaches in that he has already been there.  Already HC at big time college programs and NFL.  Already made millions.

You have to remember - he turned down the OC job at LSU to take the HC job at FAU.  NOBODY else would have made that decision that I can think of.

You realize in 2001, TCU was in CUSA.  

2001 record   6–6 (4–3 C-USA)

They were paying thier coach at the time $400k.  That coach is still there today.

TCU is now in the Big XII.  Not a doormat, but top 3 program in the conference.  Pay the SAME HC over $5m this year.

It's all speculation.  Everybody talks about what FAU is today.  This is DYNAMIC folks.  With Kelly as President, growing with Lane isn't out of the question folks.

7 years ago we played in a sh*t box off Commercial and paid our HC $225k per year and were in the SunBelt.  84 months later we have a $70 milion stadium, $1m HC who is Lane Kiffen and are about to break ground on $50 million in new facilities and host the CUSA championship game on campus.

FAU is 30k+ students in the heart of South Florida.  We are the largest public univeristy in a place that is home to millions (palm beach,broward) and is constantly growing.

I am telling you right now, there is zero reason we cant be TCU.  Zero.  It's all about who is calling the shots and thier vision.

We will see what happens.  But know this - EVERY school in CUSA is extremely nervous about what FAU is becoming.  If we dont have a blow up - we will be the class of the conference for as long as we are in it.

Let's see where we are in another 7 years.  Lastly, aside from CUSA schools others are hoping Lane leaves I can promise you that.  If recruits get comfortable that he will stay for 4-5 years and he is able to recruit in that manner...I dont care who we play during that time we will be able to compete.  People that scheduled us will be dreading it.  If we get deep with talent and have backups who can play - watch out.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

:-]

GO OWLS!
Back to the top
Control functions: