Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

If we keep winning, will we lose Kiffin?

owlsdad said

Agree - Kiffin seems to be a Kelly hire, and I think our President is all-in on understanding the impact a successful football program can have on other sports and the university as a whole.  That is all good news, as Dr. Kelly will stay involved and drive it.  I'm just saying deserved or not Chun will reap some short-term benefits.
Posted On: Nov 20th 2017, 10:26 AM #373775

It was presidential Kelly, plus a couple BOT members were influential in bring Kiffin here as well. 
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

owlsdad said

Agree - Kiffin seems to be a Kelly hire, and I think our President is all-in on understanding the impact a successful football program can have on other sports and the university as a whole.  That is all good news, as Dr. Kelly will stay involved and drive it.  I'm just saying deserved or not Chun will reap some short-term benefits.

It was presidential Kelly, plus a couple BOT members were influential in bring Kiffin here as well. 
Posted On: Nov 20th 2017, 10:32 AM #373776

That’s what I was told, Chun was against the hire.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Kiffin will be the coach of a big time program soon, while I hope that program is in Boca, it probably won't be.  A couple things in our favor, the guy did buy a house, UCLA is a basketball school, I don't think he's the most desired coach in the G5 or that's unemployed.  
Back to the top

What Lane Kiffin has shown is that Coaching matters. Who knew the talent that Charlie Partridge recruited was so good when giving the proper coaching across the board. The guys who were getting crushed last year are now Eastern conference champions.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Dr Kelly is on record saying he wants to market FAU with sports. It was his decision to use the Schmidt family donation to improve the athletic facilities. He is using Clemson university as a model. 

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

Chun isn't going anywhere unless he leaves on his own or does something to breach his contract.

The FB program is winning.  GPA is up and good.  Checks are being written.  There doesn't seem to be much of a thought about basketball.

Could more money be coming in for the projects and initiatives we have?  Sure.  However, how often are we going to the same wells over and over again?  Maybe some donors are taking a wait and see approach to see if we hold on to Lane for more than one season.  We had one member of our group drop out last season on his season tickets and OSF donation.  I flat out told people in the administration that they are not seeing another penny from me until things changed; I'm certain I'm not the only one that felt that way.

The effort, expense, and TERRIBLE PR far outweighs the issues brought up here.  Also, if Chun is fired while football is in the midst of this dramatic turnaround, what does that tell potential candidates for the opening?

Finally, while naming rights are important to us and the university, with our limited (but hopefully growing) TV exposure; why would ANY organization pony up the cash for this?  Bang on Chun and our former president for the GEO Group falling through, but your rage should be focused on Angelos for bungling an even richer deal with RBC Bank.
Back to the top

sigep77 said

Chun isn't going anywhere unless he leaves on his own or does something to breach his contract.

The FB program is winning.  GPA is up and good.  Checks are being written.  There doesn't seem to be much of a thought about basketball.

Could more money be coming in for the projects and initiatives we have?  Sure.  However, how often are we going to the same wells over and over again?  Maybe some donors are taking a wait and see approach to see if we hold on to Lane for more than one season.  We had one member of our group drop out last season on his season tickets and OSF donation.  I flat out told people in the administration that they are not seeing another penny from me until things changed; I'm certain I'm not the only one that felt that way.

The effort, expense, and TERRIBLE PR far outweighs the issues brought up here.  Also, if Chun is fired while football is in the midst of this dramatic turnaround, what does that tell potential candidates for the opening?

Finally, while naming rights are important to us and the university, with our limited (but hopefully growing) TV exposure; why would ANY organization pony up the cash for this?  Bang on Chun and our former president for the GEO Group falling through, but your rage should be focused on Angelos for bungling an even richer deal with RBC Bank.
Posted On: Nov 20th 2017, 11:18 AM #373825

+1
Back to the top

sigep77 said

Posted On: Nov 20th 2017, 11:18 AM #373825
Here are my thoughts on the AD situation as it relates to Dr. Kelly's vision as I understand it.

The reality is FAU starts each season $20-$30 million behind the P5 schools due to TV contracts.  If we want to accomplish what Dr. Kelly has states he wants to - the FACT of the matter is we need an AD and President that can get us to a P5 conference.  Period.  This will take some out of the box thinking and ability to make uncomfortable changes.

People may laugh at that notion.  People would have also told me I was crazy if in 2005 I told you TCU would be the class of the Big XII.  Or that FAU could win 11 games this year.  Or hire Lane Kiffen.  

We need to excel at all sports, especially football and basketball.  We simply cannot have a dreadful basketball program.  It's obvious that Dr. Kelly took the football program by the horns, it's time for Chun to show he can get basketball turned around.

Some of our other programs are just flat out inexusable in South Florida.  Why we aren't competing with the best in the country at soccer, golf, tennis is beyond me.  There are soooo many of these athletes in South Florida it's ridiculous.  We simply do not invest in these sports.  That needs to change starting yesterday.  Some people that went to FAU are from the area, went to high school here and dont have great perspective on where they live.  Palm Beach/Broward is a huge area with some of the best athletes.  I would be willing to bet there are 10x as many kids playing tennis in Palm Beach County than the entire state of Michigan!  Our baseball program is top 25 basically by default!  We should be winning national titles in these sports if not at least competing for them.

We need to change the perception of FAU athletics as a whole.  Honestly, we need to surpass UCF and USF.  I'm not exactly sure what that will take entirely, but if we really want to change the University through sports - need to get to the P5 conference and start each year with $20-$30 million instead of $250k.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

My understanding is that Chun does NOT have a contract right now.  And I have also heard he was not for the Lane hiring, and it was the board, a donor and Dr Kelly.  Which tells me he has zero vision to make a bold move that may be unpopular but pay off BIG time.  What does it say to a new candidate?  It says we got our football team fixed and our AD couldn't come up with a plan to sell tickets for an exciting football team.  The next guy needs to have a ticket background, he needs to get people in the stadium.  The mailings, bus wraps and phone calls don't work.  You need a grass root approach, face to face meetings.  It means leaving campus and not wait for phone calls from people looking to buy it means getting out there and selling.

There some good things going on, but the tickets sold to that stadium is the most important due to past performance and incompetence of leadership.  It really stinks when you tell your boss we can sell tickets because we are losing all of the time and then we start winning and you still can't sell tickets.  It's pathetic that a tshirt promotion was the grand idea to sell seats.  It feels like it was thought of on the Monday morning game week meeting.  These promotions need to be mapped out in July and August.

FIRE CHUN.  It's time.
Back to the top

Change said

My understanding is that Chun does NOT have a contract right now.  And I have also heard he was not for the Lane hiring, and it was the board, a donor and Dr Kelly.  Which tells me he has zero vision to make a bold move that may be unpopular but pay off BIG time.  What does it say to a new candidate?  It says we got our football team fixed and our AD couldn't come up with a plan to sell tickets for an exciting football team.  The next guy needs to have a ticket background, he needs to get people in the stadium.  The mailings, bus wraps and phone calls don't work.  You need a grass root approach, face to face meetings.  It means leaving campus and not wait for phone calls from people looking to buy it means getting out there and selling.

There some good things going on, but the tickets sold to that stadium is the most important due to past performance and incompetence of leadership.  It really stinks when you tell your boss we can sell tickets because we are losing all of the time and then we start winning and you still can't sell tickets.  It's pathetic that a tshirt promotion was the grand idea to sell seats.  It feels like it was thought of on the Monday morning game week meeting.  These promotions need to be mapped out in July and August.

FIRE CHUN.  It's time.
Posted On: Nov 20th 2017, 12:03 PM #373831

Chun did all of this when he started here.  I know because I was part of several sit downs with him and so were many others on this board trying to rally the local community to purchase season tickets.

Also, I get your point about going from losing to winning but the fact remains that we have STUNK for a long, long time.  People are not eager to part ways with their money, especially when we started the season off so slowly.  I'm sure many people were concerned with our start and now here we are at the end of the season winning.

We've not had a large fanbase in our history so we're stuck with what we have right now, you're not going to get the fringe fans like Miami, UF, and FSU get when they return to winning as witnessed by Miami's recent sellouts against Notre Dame and VIRGINIA at NOON of all times.

Look, it may sound like it but I'm no Chun apologist.  He wants out as evidenced by his many attempts at gaining employment elsewhere over the last few years.  I'm a realist that understands what else is going on at the University, what else is on PK's agenda, and what the expense and time costs are to launch a national search for the "right" AD.  You think we're going to land the AD version of Kiffin?  Likely not, more like some wet behind the ears Assistant or Associate AD that will have a ton of OTJ training.

If Chun leaves, don't let the door hit ya where the good Lord split ya.  But until that time, we're going to have to ride this out. Who knows, maybe more decisions will be made over his head to improve other areas.

Finally, Walty, you may feel basketball is important, but it's not.
Back to the top
Control functions: