Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Kendal Briles

DeltAlumnus said

LawOwl said

cbboarder said

1OwlFLATL said

DeltAlumnus said

My biggest thing against Briles. 4 programs in 4 years. He is a Texas guy, not a Florida guy. I just attribute the success of the offense in 2017 more to lane. Since lanes tenure seems to be over. Here are my top replacements

My FAU next HC wish list: (no particular order)
1. Butch jones: major success at 2 G5 programs and wasn’t that bad at UT
2. Jim leavitt: best football coach who could be a legit candidate. And knows Florida well
3. Willie Taggart: again success at 2 G5 programs
4. Jeff Scott: young up and coming OC
5. Graham harrell: young up and coming OC made mason fine into a great qb and coached probably the belitnitkoff winner at usc this year. And knows cusa well
6. Larry Fedora:  had good success at USM, coached in Florida as an Assitant for many years, and had good success at UNC until it fell off towards the end
Posted On: Dec 6th 2019, 10:06 PM #391576

Good list. I like taggart and i think he could bring leavitt as the DC
Posted On: Dec 6th 2019, 10:21 PM #391577

Please no. 
Posted On: Dec 6th 2019, 10:26 PM #391578
Lol I’m not a big fan of that list either. Butch Jones is okay but we need to stop with and coming coaches imo and stick to bringing n experienced coaches that are more of a Known commodity 
Posted On: Dec 6th 2019, 10:33 PM #391579

I think you gotta be realistic in who could be a candidate. If it’s a retread candidate where did they have success? I could come out and say Weis jr, Briles, Chris Kiffin and Glenn Spencer. But I’d rather think outside the box and not someone who has previous ties with the program.
Posted On: Dec 6th 2019, 10:41 PM #391583

Glenn spencer is a proven defensive coach. Not to have to spend the next two seasons reinventing the wheel is a compelling argument. Jim Leavitt is a possibility and he likes pepsi now.

Back to the top

voss749 said

DeltAlumnus said

LawOwl said

cbboarder said

1OwlFLATL said

DeltAlumnus said

My biggest thing against Briles. 4 programs in 4 years. He is a Texas guy, not a Florida guy. I just attribute the success of the offense in 2017 more to lane. Since lanes tenure seems to be over. Here are my top replacements

My FAU next HC wish list: (no particular order)
1. Butch jones: major success at 2 G5 programs and wasn’t that bad at UT
2. Jim leavitt: best football coach who could be a legit candidate. And knows Florida well
3. Willie Taggart: again success at 2 G5 programs
4. Jeff Scott: young up and coming OC
5. Graham harrell: young up and coming OC made mason fine into a great qb and coached probably the belitnitkoff winner at usc this year. And knows cusa well
6. Larry Fedora:  had good success at USM, coached in Florida as an Assitant for many years, and had good success at UNC until it fell off towards the end
Posted On: Dec 6th 2019, 10:06 PM #391576

Good list. I like taggart and i think he could bring leavitt as the DC
Posted On: Dec 6th 2019, 10:21 PM #391577

Please no. 
Posted On: Dec 6th 2019, 10:26 PM #391578
Lol I’m not a big fan of that list either. Butch Jones is okay but we need to stop with and coming coaches imo and stick to bringing n experienced coaches that are more of a Known commodity 
Posted On: Dec 6th 2019, 10:33 PM #391579

I think you gotta be realistic in who could be a candidate. If it’s a retread candidate where did they have success? I could come out and say Weis jr, Briles, Chris Kiffin and Glenn Spencer. But I’d rather think outside the box and not someone who has previous ties with the program.
Posted On: Dec 6th 2019, 10:41 PM #391583

Glenn spencer is a proven defensive coach. Not to have to spend the next two seasons reinventing the wheel is a compelling argument. Jim Leavitt is a possibility and he likes pepsi now.

Posted On: Dec 6th 2019, 10:58 PM #391584

Spencer has been a great hire but I have to imagine Kelly and White are going to be aiming higher.  This is a very good job right now and with the new facility opening, we should have our choice of candidates.
Back to the top

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

FAUALUM0526 said

FAUALUM0526 said

FAUALUM0526 said

Kendal and Lane had zero issues. Lane wants Kendal to go with him if he gets another job. This should speak volumes of Lane’s opinion of Kendal. Kendal Briles loves FAU and is very passionate about the school. I think he would be a homerun hire for us. 
Posted On: Dec 6th 2019, 11:50 AM #391534
Lane took over most of  play calling duties before Buffalo.
There was frustrations with not running the ball enough.

I have stated this on the forum 5,890 times now.
Posted On: Dec 6th 2019, 12:24 PM #391536

You have stated it incorrectly. Lane never took over play calling duties period. 
Posted On: Dec 6th 2019, 12:27 PM #391537

Ok. What ever helps you sleep at night.
You also said Kendal loved FAU.
He jetted to Houston first chance he got.
Posted On: Dec 6th 2019, 1:06 PM #391541

I sleep great. The difference between you and I is I know. Kendal had the chance to go to his alma mater, be close to family, and get a pay raise.  Thats not leaving because you don’t love a place. Why is Lane courting Kendal to go where he goes next if they had problems?
Posted On: Dec 6th 2019, 1:08 PM #391542

FAU is investing millions in football and can’t chance going back to 3-9. A first year head coach is a risk and if you do take one they need to be from a championship level program like Clemson. 
Posted On: Dec 6th 2019, 1:42 PM #391546

EXACTLY! These sentences are the truth! That's the scary part about Lane leaving and potentially taking personnel with him. I for one hope the days of it taking multiple seasons to get 3 wins are long behind us.

Back to the top

Sources: Kendal Briles is weighing some intriguing options - FootballScoop

If he was making $1M at FSU and had a 3-year contract, does he lose some/all of that buyout if he takes another job? 
Back to the top

Might not be the most popular choice here, but after Briles, I'd take Taggart in a heartbeat. Briles would probably leave as soon as a P5 came calling for a HC – I'm not that concerned with the jumping around – it is what it is and you could understand why he made each move he made. On the other hand, Taggart would keep recruiting at a high level for C USA and he has won at this level and has (disappointing) P5 experience, just like Lane Train.
Back to the top

d-owl said

Might not be the most popular choice here, but after Briles, I'd take Taggart in a heartbeat. Briles would probably leave as soon as a P5 came calling for a HC – I'm not that concerned with the jumping around – it is what it is and you could understand why he made each move he made. On the other hand, Taggart would keep recruiting at a high level for C USA and he has won at this level and has (disappointing) P5 experience, just like Lane Train.

Posted On: Dec 9th 2019, 6:42 PM #391951

And Taggert would stay???????????? He stabbed OREGON in the back for the FSU job after one year!

Slick Willie is a recruiter because he lies very good, but he is a terrible Coach though, TERRIBLE! He has a losing record to FAU WHEN WE SUCKED!!!!!!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

d-owl said

Posted On: Dec 9th 2019, 6:42 PM #391951

And Taggert would stay???????????? He stabbed OREGON in the back for the FSU job after one year!

Slick Willie is a recruiter because he lies very good, but he is a terrible Coach though, TERRIBLE! He has a losing record to FAU WHEN WE SUCKED!!!!!!
Posted On: Dec 10th 2019, 8:39 AM #391976

Taggert would stay because he would not receive any offers to leave.
After finding a way to make a bad FSU team even worse he is damaged goods and everyone who has been paying attention knows it.
Back to the top

Guys stop worrying about guys leaving. If they have success there is a good chance they will leave. 
Back to the top

DeltAlumnus said

Guys stop worrying about guys leaving. If they have success there is a good chance they will leave. 
Posted On: Dec 10th 2019, 8:59 AM #391979

Exactly! Of course we’d like to think someone would want to stay here long term, but that’s just not the reality of being a successful G5 program. I want teams coming in and taking our coaches every few years. Means we’re doing something right.
Back to the top

Agreed, I don't think we should want to be a place where someone plants roots for 10 years, I think we want to be known as the place where you can come and launch your career if you're the hottest coordinator in the land. The way people do that is by winning like mad, putting up yards, points, and shutting teams out and that's a fun ride to be on.

We need our program to be bigger than the coach. When you have the reputation of being a winner, with multiple coaches, it starts to transcend the man at the top.

on Taggart: I've met him twice in the past two years at FSU Booster events (I was there thru work, my boss is a golden chief or whatever they're called), the first time was the Taggart World Tour right after he was hired and I remember saying after his little 50 person Q&A, that I hope that guy is a players coach, because he didn't command that room at all…and it was a room full of people who loved him at the time. He's sheepish, quiet, and sounded unsure of himself. I gave him the benefit of the doubt because at a place like FSU, they don't need to generate fan interest, winning solves all…but we know how that turned out.

Point being…I don't think we can hire a guy like him as we need that shot in the arm of the guy that will be in the community generating hype and interest, going to chapter meetings of the fraternity sororities and asking them to come inside and support the team, doing what they can to help build the brand. Willie didn't seem to have that at all.
Back to the top
Control functions: