Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Kiffin announces Robison will "not be a part of team activities" for Spring

Just some non-state secret, non-spoiler thoughts on this. I agree and understand with a lot of the points taken. I'll stay out of the millennials argument, but I will add that what Jack and Shane have done for the FAU community, especially lately, is great. Onto the CR stuff:

* I'll sum up a thread I had on Twitter the other day. I'm only a year and change older than him; I'm July 1997, he's October 1998. And all of my interactions with him have been pretty good. I've defended him, too, because I get he's a college kid and college kids sometimes get into trouble. As long as these guys are being responsible enough off the field, that's all that matters. But Chris is on strike four at the NCAA level (public intoxication at OU, violating team rules/dismissal there; and two spring camp suspensions here). There has to be a point where you either get it, or you don't.

That's not a millennial thing or a discipline thing, at least on FAU's end. These guys aren't the 80's Canes. Take away the nightclub fight from Jan. 2017 and I think guys have mostly been responsible under this staff. It's death by a thousand cuts. More smaller issues, mainly with Robison, instead of guys getting caught doing illegal things.

* One of the biggest problems I thought this team had last year was not talking the talk. They said multiple times they looked at the scoreboard and got overconfident and that would change. Didn't really happen. It just felt like they were searching for any type of motivation, whether it was the bell or the turnover bat or what. It's like the cliche with actors, "what's my motivation?"

* The dancing thing during practice is whatever. There were times where I'd walk past the defensive lineman during a water break and they'd be dancing or having fun. Ernest Bagner was the king of that. Chris Tooley is another guy who has a ton of fun during practice. Same with Korel Smith. You're out there for two-plus hours in the heat, I get wanting to have some fun.

I'll also add that because the media usually lines up behind the offense on the sideline during team drills, it's not even uncommon for players to say hi when they see us. Some could say that's problematic or a bad reflection on the players and coaches, too. I don't think so. But practice is much, much different than the games.

* The argument I've made in recent days is if it's a sixth-string, walk-on wide receiver or lineman, the expectations are far lower. If I saw a guy who was just in camp as a depth player until everyone arrives this summer dancing after dropping a pass or missing his reads, that doesn't have the same impact than if Robison throws a bad interception during a scrimmage a week before Ohio State and he starts dancing.

Quarterbacks are always going to be judged differently. They're the franchise or the face of the program. When the guy tasked with that has a history of bad decision-making both on and off the field, it's a problem. And the wake-up call will either come or it won't.

Now, if Chris Robison is out there today in a green jersey, that's when we really start asking about the wake-up call…

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

I can't even come to a football forum without some baby boomer talking crap about my generation (insert your played out snowflake jokes). I don't know where all this frustration with them dancing came from. No one complained when we ran the conference in 2017. I hope they dance their way to another conference championship and force you all to critically think about the dynamic of our team. If players dancing would so upset the older alums that they couldn't bare to watch a game… you need to take minute to do some self reflection and you might find where the perceived stereotypical attitude of my generation came from.
Back to the top

I am a "tweener" in this argument - not old enough to be a baby-boomer, too old to be a millennial, but old enough to have millennial daughters.  The "old man" point of view is not about dancing - it is about accomplishing something before celebrating.  The younger generations point is that there is no correlation, and that self-expression is just what they do now.  I have leanings both ways - if guys need to dance first to make things happen, so be it.  I played college football more in the "respect the game" and "act like you have been there" era, but it doesn't bother me enough to lose sleep.  What I do know is I hope the Owls go back to 2017 and are mopping the field with guys and dancing to their heart's content in 2019.  
Back to the top

Good post owlsdad summed it up well!
Back to the top

Thank you Owl Dad.
Back to the top

With birthdays in 1997 and 1998, neither of you are Millennials. Football!
Back to the top

With all this going down, I want to see what happens moving forward. Tronti seems like he has a good head on his shoulders, and has to be the big favorite to be the starter this year
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

With all this going down, I want to see what happens moving forward. Tronti seems like he has a good head on his shoulders, and has to be the big favorite to be the starter this year
Posted On: Mar 22nd 2019, 2:21 PM #385642

Having Deandre Johnson in the mix would be a pretty good situation right now too seeing how he lead the FIU comeback. Nothing we can do now I know. I don't find myself pulling for any specific qb this year. Whether we have any insight or not I feel like everyone is always sort of pulling for a guy for whatever reason. I honestly think tronti, littlejohn, or robison if he's still here all work for me. I'd be nervous with Robison moving forward trying to have your QB of the future though that much I know.
Back to the top

JakeElman said

* I'll sum up a thread I had on Twitter the other day. I'm only a year and change older than him; I'm July 1997, he's October 1998. And all of my interactions with him have been pretty good. I've defended him, too, because I get he's a college kid and college kids sometimes get into trouble. As long as these guys are being responsible enough off the field, that's all that matters. But Chris is on strike four at the NCAA level (public intoxication at OU, violating team rules/dismissal there; and two spring camp suspensions here). There has to be a point where you either get it, or you don't.

* The dancing thing during practice is whatever. There were times where I'd walk past the defensive lineman during a water break and they'd be dancing or having fun. Ernest Bagner was the king of that. Chris Tooley is another guy who has a ton of fun during practice. Same with Korel Smith. You're out there for two-plus hours in the heat, I get wanting to have some fun.
Posted On: Mar 22nd 2019, 7:26 AM #385635

+ 1& 1

Agreed on both points…

AND

As to what started this whole dancing thing…Someone makes a comment about it during a game last season when we're losing and its like they killed a player's mother and ate her organs.

:truce
Back to the top

If the dancing promotes FAU why not. I just feel like in 2017 we had a lot of players who were passionate about being Owls. In 2018 I think there might have been players who were more interested in stats. This is about being an Owl. And if dancing improves the experience, and if every one of the “performers” is passionate about FAU, then why not. I’m assuming news is going to break very soon about Robison being gone 
Back to the top
Control functions: