Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Kiffin signs a long term deal!

owlfan1 said

GeorgiaOwl said

owlfan1 said

Local Owl said

Can you imagine the millions he can earn and bring in to a power five school ? Our only hope is that he really likes SoFla and decides to take less money for a better life style for his family. Tough decision.
Posted On: May 7th 2018, 6:19 PM #378242
Tons of pressure at a P5 school. The money is great, but how much does lifestyle change from making $1million per year to making $5million per year? Yes, you can have more cars, houses, etc., but you can have a very good life at $1million per year, and his salary will likely increase at FAU. Hopefully he has matured enough to realize that FAU is a good gig and if he continues to win, he can stay for life.

GO OWLS!!!
Posted On: May 8th 2018, 11:18 AM #378246

Great post and I hope and pray the same! I still think the Coaches salaries are gonna kill the golden goose too. $7M a year to coach football? HUGE buyouts unless they commit a crime basically. Assistant Coaches pools getting to $6M a year? Again, to coach a position in football. Give me a break! the economics even in the Power 5 are gonna break and the competitive gaps from top to even the lower Power 5 schools, let alone down to the Group of 5 is ridiculous.
Posted On: May 8th 2018, 11:51 AM #378248

Thanks, GeorgiaOwl. I think you are right. Reality is that only 4 teams can compete for the National Championship at the end of the year, and only 1 team can win it. Too many schools are paying $4 million, $5 million, $6 million, etc. per year and if the team is not a perennial conference champ and playoff team, it is hard to justify the salary. 20 schools are paying more than $4 million per year. That puts coaches in positions that are super high pressure, and the likelihood of not lasting more than a few years at a position is pretty high.

Look at Nebraska with Scott Frost. Seems like a great move, but if he doesn't produce (in a very competitive BIGTEN conference), he is likely gone. While ego and nostalgia might have driven him to take the Nebraska job, he has about a 15% chance of making it a career job. Nebraska has had 5 coaches since 1997. That is an average of 4 years per coach. No coach since 1997 has been there more than 7 years. It is a tough road for Frost at Nebraska. At UCF he had a 100% chance of making it a career job.

I just hope that Kiffin has put his ego aside enough to realize this and that he sticks with FAU for the long haul.

GO OWLS!!!
Posted On: May 12th 2018, 4:11 PM #378287

C’mon seriously?  So you really think Kiffin should stick around for the “long haul” if some top tier p5 school offers him 5/6M+ per yer for a 5 year contract if offered?  Frost did the math did you?

Some of you guys really need a reality check.  There is no bigger homer than me but this is a business, period.  

Kiffin signing a long term contract is silly, thinking we’re going to increase his salary to complete with a top tier p5 is silly.  He will be here as long as he wants to be here,  Enjoy the Lane train while it’s here, I am.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

Kiffin signing a long term contract is silly…
Posted On: May 12th 2018, 8:07 PM #378289

It may be silly, but it's in motion and is with his agent right now..

If I were a betting man would say you will see something finalized prior to July 1st.

We shall see…

:smile:
Back to the top

Rick said

dusky256fc said

If I were a betting man would say you will see something finalized prior to July 1st.

We shall see…

Posted On: May 12th 2018, 8:23 PM #378290

And it means absolutely nothing.  There will be nothing in that contract that will have any effect on P5 school paying the buy out and Kiffin moving on.  We could get a few extra bucks, which is great but nothing to change the long term outcome.

Please don’t anyone say we need to significantly raise his buyout.  Why would he ever sign that without a huge raise and we don’t have that type of money. He will be here as long as he wants to be here. No silly contract is going to change that.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

Rick said

dusky256fc said

We shall see…

And it means absolutely nothing.  There will be nothing in that contract that will have any effect on P5 school paying the buy out and Kiffin moving on.  We could get a few extra bucks, which is great but nothing to change the long term outcome.

Please don’t anyone say we need to significantly raise his buyout.  Why would he ever sign that without a huge raise and we don’t have that type of money. He will be here as long as he wants to be here. No silly contract is going to change that.
Posted On: May 12th 2018, 8:55 PM #378292

Why would he not sign it if he knows it will help FAU and be a drop in the bucket to a Power 5 school???? If we had a $10M buyout, a serious and desperate (they all are at that level - expectations!) Power 5 will pay it without blinking!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

And it means absolutely nothing.  

It was his idea…for a number of reasons…yes, he is a marketing guy…but he also wanted to explore the option…FAU was caught off guard with it…and yes, money is a factor…which is why it is taking so long…but from what I have been told, this was no smoke mirror…it's a real pursuit…let's wait and see what happens by July 1st…

Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

dusky256fc said

Rick said

dusky256fc said

We shall see…

Why would he not sign it if he knows it will help FAU and be a drop in the bucket to a Power 5 school???? If we had a $10M buyout, a serious and desperate (they all are at that level - expectations!) Power 5 will pay it without blinking!

Posted On: May 12th 2018, 9:22 PM #378293

Because he would be an idiot and his attorney would never work again.  He owes FAU nothing.  This is business.

You seem to old to believe in unicorns and fairy tales.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Dusky +1.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Dusky +1.
Posted On: May 13th 2018, 7:29 AM #378296

Thanks.  I’m not trying to be mean, just realistic.  I am hoping and believe Kiffin likes being at FAU and living in Boca more than most of the opposition wants to believe but I still only think that buys us a couple more years at best.  We just don’t have the money to hold on to a top tier coach when he’s ready to go, no CUSA program does.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Agree. It takes a certain kind of coach to settle into one place. set roots. Be content with really good money (Not really great money). I have a personal friend that did just that , with a CUSA team, and coached there for 17 years at one school. Lane and he are quite different types of guys. Granted, I have no idea what is going on in Kiffin's head. But huge money is always tempting. I would be thinking different if he wasn't so young. Lets all just enjoy the Lane train while it lasts. But if I had Lane's house, and Lane's boat , and Lane's job, and Lane's salary, it would be tough to give up.
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

owlfan1 said

GeorgiaOwl said

owlfan1 said

Local Owl said

Can you imagine the millions he can earn and bring in to a power five school ? Our only hope is that he really likes SoFla and decides to take less money for a better life style for his family. Tough decision.
Posted On: May 7th 2018, 6:19 PM #378242
Tons of pressure at a P5 school. The money is great, but how much does lifestyle change from making $1million per year to making $5million per year? Yes, you can have more cars, houses, etc., but you can have a very good life at $1million per year, and his salary will likely increase at FAU. Hopefully he has matured enough to realize that FAU is a good gig and if he continues to win, he can stay for life.

GO OWLS!!!
Posted On: May 8th 2018, 11:18 AM #378246

Great post and I hope and pray the same! I still think the Coaches salaries are gonna kill the golden goose too. $7M a year to coach football? HUGE buyouts unless they commit a crime basically. Assistant Coaches pools getting to $6M a year? Again, to coach a position in football. Give me a break! the economics even in the Power 5 are gonna break and the competitive gaps from top to even the lower Power 5 schools, let alone down to the Group of 5 is ridiculous.
Posted On: May 8th 2018, 11:51 AM #378248

Thanks, GeorgiaOwl. I think you are right. Reality is that only 4 teams can compete for the National Championship at the end of the year, and only 1 team can win it. Too many schools are paying $4 million, $5 million, $6 million, etc. per year and if the team is not a perennial conference champ and playoff team, it is hard to justify the salary. 20 schools are paying more than $4 million per year. That puts coaches in positions that are super high pressure, and the likelihood of not lasting more than a few years at a position is pretty high.

Look at Nebraska with Scott Frost. Seems like a great move, but if he doesn't produce (in a very competitive BIGTEN conference), he is likely gone. While ego and nostalgia might have driven him to take the Nebraska job, he has about a 15% chance of making it a career job. Nebraska has had 5 coaches since 1997. That is an average of 4 years per coach. No coach since 1997 has been there more than 7 years. It is a tough road for Frost at Nebraska. At UCF he had a 100% chance of making it a career job.

I just hope that Kiffin has put his ego aside enough to realize this and that he sticks with FAU for the long haul.

GO OWLS!!!
Posted On: May 12th 2018, 4:11 PM #378287

C’mon seriously?  So you really think Kiffin should stick around for the “long haul” if some top tier p5 school offers him 5/6M+ per yer for a 5 year contract if offered?  Frost did the math did you?

Some of you guys really need a reality check.  There is no bigger homer than me but this is a business, period.  

Kiffin signing a long term contract is silly, thinking we’re going to increase his salary to complete with a top tier p5 is silly.  He will be here as long as he wants to be here,  Enjoy the Lane train while it’s here, I am.

I get what you are saying. You do not understand what I am saying. How many of these guys that sign the big deal actually survive the pressure cooker? As per my previous post, is there really a lifestyle difference between $1-2 million per year and $4-5 million per year? It is all ego at that point. I am not suggesting that Kiffin should stay, I am hoping that he has some perspective and that he does stay. How long do you think Frost lasts at Nebraska if he doesn't play for a BIGTEN title within his first three years?

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top
Control functions: