Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Kiffin signs a long term deal!

Can you imagine the millions he can earn and bring in to a power five school ? Our only hope is that he really likes SoFla and decides to take less money for a better life style for his family. Tough decision.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Can you imagine the millions he can earn and bring in to a power five school ? Our only hope is that he really likes SoFla and decides to take less money for a better life style for his family. Tough decision.
Posted On: May 7th 2018, 6:19 PM #378242
Tons of pressure at a P5 school. The money is great, but how much does lifestyle change from making $1million per year to making $5million per year? Yes, you can have more cars, houses, etc., but you can have a very good life at $1million per year, and his salary will likely increase at FAU. Hopefully he has matured enough to realize that FAU is a good gig and if he continues to win, he can stay for life.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Here's your answer…

owlfan1 said

Hopefully he has matured enough to realize that FAU is a good gig and if he continues to win, he can stay for life.
Posted On: May 8th 2018, 11:18 AM #378246

Here's your answer…

Back to the top

owlfan1 said

Local Owl said

Tons of pressure at a P5 school. The money is great, but how much does lifestyle change from making $1million per year to making $5million per year? Yes, you can have more cars, houses, etc., but you can have a very good life at $1million per year, and his salary will likely increase at FAU. Hopefully he has matured enough to realize that FAU is a good gig and if he continues to win, he can stay for life.

GO OWLS!!!

Great post and I hope and pray the same! I still think the Coaches salaries are gonna kill the golden goose too. $7M a year to coach football? HUGE buyouts unless they commit a crime basically. Assistant Coaches pools getting to $6M a year? Again, to coach a position in football. Give me a break! the economics even in the Power 5 are gonna break and the competitive gaps from top to even the lower Power 5 schools, let alone down to the Group of 5 is ridiculous.
Back to the top

I think he'll eventually leave once he gets a Jimbo type offer from a place he wants to go to….I'm not sure a school is ready to give him an offer like that….. if he stays on this trajectory and we get close to an undefeated season and a major bowl appearance like what UCF did, he'll get that offer…..it's inevitable and I'll be happy for him…..dude has been a hell of a hire….

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

The ONLY thing that could interest him, IMHO, is a chance to beat the likes of Sabin or Myer in the head role…not seeing anything else that could motivate him at this point in his career.

He has more to gain from a reward standpoint beating everyone else while rising to the top here…
Back to the top

I know it's going to be tough for Kiffin to turn down a ton of money from elsewhere. It's fascinating to me just how much he has meant to our university. Students and especially alumni appreciate him so much for making FAU so well known, and obviously on the football map. I've never seen anything like it, just how much everyone loves him. I feel that what has happened this past season has forever endeared Kiffin to all of us. He's a legend down here. And our school is still new and growing, with a vibrant student population. That can make it interesting as far as how willing he is to leave. Maybe he comes back one day and helps build us into a P5 school.
Back to the top

"Maybe he comes back one day and helps build us into a P5 school."

OR Maybe he stays and does the very same as HIS program!
Back to the top

Rick said

Here's your answer…

owlfan1 said

Hopefully he has matured enough to realize that FAU is a good gig and if he continues to win, he can stay for life.

Here's your answer…

Posted On: May 8th 2018, 11:51 AM #378247

Thanks, Rick. I saw that previously. I guess what I am saying is that I hope this isn't just talk. I hope he really does see the value in staying at FAU.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

owlfan1 said

Local Owl said

GO OWLS!!!

Great post and I hope and pray the same! I still think the Coaches salaries are gonna kill the golden goose too. $7M a year to coach football? HUGE buyouts unless they commit a crime basically. Assistant Coaches pools getting to $6M a year? Again, to coach a position in football. Give me a break! the economics even in the Power 5 are gonna break and the competitive gaps from top to even the lower Power 5 schools, let alone down to the Group of 5 is ridiculous.
Posted On: May 8th 2018, 11:51 AM #378248

Thanks, GeorgiaOwl. I think you are right. Reality is that only 4 teams can compete for the National Championship at the end of the year, and only 1 team can win it. Too many schools are paying $4 million, $5 million, $6 million, etc. per year and if the team is not a perennial conference champ and playoff team, it is hard to justify the salary. 20 schools are paying more than $4 million per year. That puts coaches in positions that are super high pressure, and the likelihood of not lasting more than a few years at a position is pretty high.

Look at Nebraska with Scott Frost. Seems like a great move, but if he doesn't produce (in a very competitive BIGTEN conference), he is likely gone. While ego and nostalgia might have driven him to take the Nebraska job, he has about a 15% chance of making it a career job. Nebraska has had 5 coaches since 1997. That is an average of 4 years per coach. No coach since 1997 has been there more than 7 years. It is a tough road for Frost at Nebraska. At UCF he had a 100% chance of making it a career job.

I just hope that Kiffin has put his ego aside enough to realize this and that he sticks with FAU for the long haul.

GO OWLS!!!

Back to the top
Control functions: