Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Kiffin signs a long term deal!

To support Rick's thinking, Coach K also revealed earlier how most of the $$$ from HIS Big contracts from HIS past was gone by way of taxes, agents commissions and now child support - how much of $4M would he actually keep - maybe $1M!

And of course yes the Big $$ is gonna tempt him like the Devil as long as he is winning here, but one bad year and the offers drop off. And ONE BAD YEAR at say Bama and they are out to lynch him AND THE AD THAT HIRED HIM!!!

THE EXPECTATIONS AT THE POWER 5 LEVEL NOW ARE JUST REDICULOU8S DUE TO THE CORRUPTION OF VALUES BY THE BIG MONOPOLY MONEY THEY HAVE NOW!!!! AS HAS BEEN POINTED OUT - THE AVERAGE STAY AT THOSE SCHOOLS IS VERY SHORT. HECK - AT UGA, KIRBY SMART IS NOW ONE OF THE LONGER TENURED COACHES IN THE SEC ENTERING YEAR THREE (3)!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to the top

Using that math…he's making about $250k a year as our head coach…he still has taxes, an agent and Layla taking most of his money.

December 2019 LSU Hires Lane Kiffin. That's my prediction.

He's not leaving us to go coach at Virginia, it has to be the right kind of school, fan base and opportunity to beat Saban/USC/Play for a Title.
Back to the top

teambeer said

He's not leaving us to go coach at Virginia, it has to be the right kind of school, fan base and opportunity to beat Saban/USC/Play for a Title.
Posted On: May 14th 2018, 7:42 AM #378313

Exactly what I was saying…

:Yawn:  :cool:  :Big-Grin:
Back to the top

The only thing that makes sense for him is to wait until a major perennial contender opens up. A school with the resources to compete in the recruiting battle, and hire quality assistants. Mid-tier P5 programs can be a death sentence for most coaches, and Kiffin doesn't need another highly-publicized termination. At FAU the buses will never leave without him, and he certainly won't get fired on the tarmac. Here, he can wait until a legitimate contender with a high level of commitment to the program entirety opens up, and there are only a handful of those schools. There's no way he'll go to an Ole Miss, a Missouri, a Kentucky or a Kansas, Iowa or Minnesota. Those programs have to do so much more, with so much less, in a very competitive environment.

Our facilities, plus the big assistant coach compensation pool, make us the most attractive and compelling program in the conference. We'll stay in the media, and we'll keep winning. Our coaches are the best in the conference, and our recruiting is the best also.

We can win until a big Pac 12 program opens up, or a well-positioned SEC or Big 10 program opens. I think we can all be certain he won't be like PJ Fleck and go to a Minnesota. I don't think he would go to rebuild a program, but would want to step in and win quickly after wandering through T-town and Boca. There are only a handful of programs that can win fast, but also have a bad coach.
Back to the top

The one constant is winning, and this year an upset with Oklahoma or UCF puts us deeper into the national conversation.  Kiffin will get all the credit and I must admit he changed the identity of our program.  If FAU wants to be in these conversations for years to come we need to give this guy a good deal. he is our cash cow and our name out there for football  will trickle down to basketball, baseball, softball and our other sports. I believe he stays  for 4 years, I will stand by that.  If he left after 2 years it will revert him being back to the same old Lane never growing up. I think he needs more on his resume as far as wins, last years bowl win was his first as a head coach.  If we defeat Oklahoma, it will change our program forever and for the first time in many years I feel like we can actually pull an upset this year. I think of Kiffin like a freelance artist, he loves to improvise and create without any restrictions.  In this case the Power 5 programs and AD's restrict  and undermine his logic  making  his past jobs were failures.  I believe that a smaller school is a better fit for him like us.  If he stayed and won a lot here I am sure he would get a statue, but if he went to say LSU, hes another person among a long list of coaches.  Think if he went to big program and fails again, that is the dagger in his career.  We were bad for a while before he came and now we are on the up and up.   As long as he can win I think he sticks around.  Our school, stadium and location is unique and fits his lifestyle and coaching style.  Why leave Boca to end up in Fayetville or Starkville, him winning here would get him further.
Back to the top

I agree 100%with faufan! He can build HIS program HIS way and take on and take down the BigBoys who basically hate him and his style!

Dr. Kelly - get this done, show him how much you want him and believe in him and you will see what Coach K will do for FAU!

As of now, one great year is just a flash in the pan with everyone out there saying show me you can do it again! Was is Coach K? Or was it his Power5 staff that raised the bar - both in recruiting and on the field? THAT is what the BigBoys are really thinking now, but in 3 to 5 years he can prove he IS a great Coach not a one year wonder!
Back to the top

Some NOT very positive news on the Coach K front per the Miami Herald;

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/conference-usa/florida-atlantic-university/article211155994.html

This story was published today so OUR U needs to step up and get it done!!!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/conference-usa/florida-atlantic-university/article211155994.html

Posted On: May 15th 2018, 1:47 PM #378330

Meh..it's not news…it's nothing…it's what you write about when you cover fiu…taking shots at a program that has you under their heel.

:Laughing:  :Laughing:  :Laughing:  :Laughing:  :Laughing:  :Laughing:  :Laughing:
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Posted On: May 15th 2018, 1:47 PM #378330

Butch Davis knocked it out of the park when he wrote this editorial.
Back to the top

faufan300 is on  point. I think Kiff will follow more of a Chris Peterson career at this point - win at a small program, then take on a job where he can win quickly. Washington has done a great job in being relevant, and getting to the playoffs. I expect Kiffin to do even better wherever he goes after a long-ish stint here in Boca.
Back to the top
Control functions: