Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Kiffin signs a long term deal!

GeorgiaOwl said

Some NOT very positive news on the Coach K front per the Miami Herald;

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/college/conference-usa/florida-atlantic-university/article211155994.html

This story was published today so OUR U needs to step up and get it done!!!
Posted On: May 15th 2018, 1:47 PM #378330

If you scroll a little further down, you'll see an article listing the top 25 sports figures in Sofla. Negatively slanted comment, but still ranked above home-town Butch.

http://www.miamiherald.com/sports/spt-columns-blogs/greg-cote/article203168319.html

Back to the top

But the point is STILL we need to get the extension DONE! THIS WILL BE AND OBVIOUSLY IS BEING USED AGAINST US IN RECRUITING!!!
Back to the top

I don't think there is anyone on this planet who thinks he will be here for 10 years. Realistically we all should hope we have him for at least 2-3 more years, with the hope being he has helped build the program to where it will look like a destination job for great coaches needing a change of scenery.
Back to the top

Rick said

It may be silly, but it's in motion and is with his agent right now..

If I were a betting man would say you will see something finalized prior to July 1st.

We shall see…

:smile:
Posted On: May 12th 2018, 8:23 PM #378290

DONE DEAL

Back to the top

Got in may car tonight after a tennis match and who is on the National radio? Coach K talking about everything in his career and really emphasizing how HIS goals in life have changed - life is not all about the $$$ to him anymore and now reading this - WOO HOO!
Back to the top

Rick said

Rick said

It may be silly, but it's in motion and is with his agent right now..

If I were a betting man would say you will see something finalized prior to July 1st.

We shall see…

:smile:
Posted On: May 12th 2018, 8:23 PM #378290

DONE DEAL

Posted On: Jun 21st 2018, 8:02 PM #378901

Nice.  Even if this is ultimately meaningless, it's good to see FAU get this done.  I think it shows that it will take a really great opportunity to arise for Kiffin to leave.  
Back to the top

I agree there was no need to put 10 years on it in today's carousel, but at least it's a signed agreement that most could see should last us 2 more years.

Again though, a special job will have to open for him to leave…how much longer is Saban (66) planning on coaching?
Back to the top

I didn't see anything about the buyout clause (or maybe I just missed it).  Was there any material change to what it would cost for him to leave?  Most of the contracts have a decreasing amount the farther a coach gets into the contract, so I am hopeful the amount increased and the 10 year term means the numbers stay high for a longer time.

As for speculation on where Kiffin might eventually want to land, that is still a two-way street.  I totally agree there is only a few places he has on his list as "dream" jobs.  But not only do those have to come open, but they also have to want Kiffin over whoever else is available.  I think it is a little premature to even suggest Alabama would be interested in him - I would think Dabo is miles ahead of pretty much any coach as the potential Saban replacement given his success and his ties to the school.  But I also don't think Saban is retiring for another several years.

Not saying Rick is making that connection - just pointing out Kiffin will want something really special and that place will also have to want Kiffin.
Back to the top

Buy out still the same. :Thinking:  The only real change I see is A LOT MORE and BIGGER performance bonuses which are very good for him and us.

This should help "some" of the negative recruiting saying he is gone after this year. College Coaches have NO class when it comes to negative recruiting if/when needed. And to keep their POWER 5 HUGE $$$ they will lie and cheat every time IMHO!
Back to the top

SB Nation posting on my complaint about the 10 year deal;

Lane Kiffin’s buyout at FAU is an affordable $2m - SBNation.com

"26 coaches currently have a buyout at least five times larger than Kiffin’s." REALLY!!!

I hope and pray Coach K stays the rest of his career and maybe those in the know are correct. But having such a "small" buyout will sure encourage other schools to meddle and tempt every good year we have.

Coach - build your power program and dynasty right here, F the BigBoys who have screwed you over many times!
Back to the top
Control functions: