Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Looking to Next Season, Oklahoma, others...

jgf2017 said

As far as next year, it's not completely insane anymore to think we can win 13-14 games next season. Between the hash marks we have 6 of 9 starters back counting Willie Wright, 5 if theres a new qb which would be an upgrade. The OL brings back 2, including a first team all conference player and gets bigger bc even though Fernandez was solid he was undersized. The receivers we have Nero Nelson and a couple other transfers and maybe Deandre McNeal works his way back into the rotation. The defense only loses Taleni. And it's of note that we haven't trailed in 6 games straight and 7 at home. 
Posted On: Dec 23rd 2017, 12:54 PM #375865

Defense also loses Internicola, Nagel, Reakwon Williams. I believe our recruits for the past 2 years will be able to fill these voids. Ahman Ross (S) was our highest rated recruit last year but he torn his ACL before season started. I'll keep an eye out for him.

As far as offense, the aforementioned WRs will definitely help replace Woods and Solomon. Let's not forget Jordan Merrell, another weapon for our receiving corps. With all these WRs we will need a QB that can connect with them. If Driskel improves his passing accuracy game, he will get my vote for starting QB.
Back to the top

fauowl said

jgf2017 said

GeorgiaOwl said

An ESPN story on next year's playoff new contenders;

Ohio State Buckeyes Auburn Tigers ready to crash College Football Playoff

W are in story (sort of) in Group of 5 section at bottom (where else for Group of 5!!!). But nice to be mentioned still!!!!!
Posted On: Dec 26th 2017, 4:12 PM #375926

I'm surprised we aren't the G5 front runner. This narrative will change as we climb into the polls and UCF gets blasted hopefully by Auburn. And offseason articles will be about us not Boise St. Let's see how many reporters want to travel to Boise this offseason compared to Boca. 
Posted On: Dec 26th 2017, 5:25 PM #375927

Doesn't really help us if UCF get blasted by Auburn.  We play UCF next year. The winner gets the most attention, the loser doesn't.  If UCF gets blasted by Auburn and then we lose to UCF, well…let's root for UCF against Auburn and then beat them next year. Best scenario.

Posted On: Dec 26th 2017, 8:32 PM #375929

Agree with ya there!
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

It's funny apparently in 2015 WKU dominated everyone in C-USA, besides a 3 point win against La Tech, they crushed everyone else, like we did. Maybe UCF winning is good for us, if they're ranked when we play them that'll be cool. Next year, the excitement is already here. What an amazing off season it will be for us. Our school will become even more of a household name, because the media attention the whole off season leading up to Oklahoma will be crazy. And just to think, who knows, it really looks like a possible upset. With OU having 10 new starters, new QB and WR's.

Posted On: Dec 27th 2017, 1:41 AM #375933

There is not going to be "national" build-up to the OU game. Maybe in July we will be on those "possible week one upsets" lists. We will still be 17-20 points dogs in that game competing with games like UM vs LSU in Texas, Louisville vs Alabama in Orlando and Michigan opens vs ND.

App State went 10-3 in 2016 almost beat UT and opened vs UGA this year. Were you talking about that game all summer or even watched?
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

jgf2017 said

It's funny apparently in 2015 WKU dominated everyone in C-USA, besides a 3 point win against La Tech, they crushed everyone else, like we did. Maybe UCF winning is good for us, if they're ranked when we play them that'll be cool. Next year, the excitement is already here. What an amazing off season it will be for us. Our school will become even more of a household name, because the media attention the whole off season leading up to Oklahoma will be crazy. And just to think, who knows, it really looks like a possible upset. With OU having 10 new starters, new QB and WR's.

Posted On: Dec 27th 2017, 1:41 AM #375933

There is not going to be "national" build-up to the OU game. Maybe in July we will be on those "possible week one upsets" lists. We will still be 17-20 points dogs in that game competing with games like UM vs LSU in Texas, Louisville vs Alabama in Orlando and Michigan opens vs ND.

App State went 10-3 in 2016 almost beat UT and opened vs UGA this year. Were you talking about that game all summer or even watched?
Posted On: Dec 27th 2017, 12:38 PM #375947

Good points, the "national" aspect will be Coach K getting the attention with us benefiting! Especially IF we finish the recruiting class and transfer additions strong.
Back to the top

Lane Kiffen, Monte Kiffen, Kendal Briles, Motor Singletary, Possible OU QB transfer starting, 10 game winning streak, Howard, etc….

This wont get the same hype as Mich vs ND or Miami vs LSU.  But there will be a HUGE difference between App State vs Georgia and this FAU vs Oklahoma game.

There's already more publicity for this game then there was the App State vs Georgia game and its only December.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

FAU can play close the first half, barring any turnovers or big plays that give momentum to OU. Depth will be a factor. OU will go three deep with top level players. FAU won't have the same quality two or three deep. I expect OU to pull away in the second half. It will be something like OU 45 FAU 24. I hope I am wrong.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I don't think OU's depth will wear down our offense. We'll do well for 60 minutes there. It's whether we can slow down their offense. Us playing them with a new QB and WR's in the first game is ideal bc OU will still be feeling things out and getting better. It sure doesn't seem based on the last 10 games that we're the kind of team that wears out or breaks down physically.
Back to the top

We will likely have a new QB and WR's and several new guys starting on the Oline.  Personally, I'd rather play them later in the season.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

I don't think OU's depth will wear down our offense. We'll do well for 60 minutes there. It's whether we can slow down their offense. Us playing them with a new QB and WR's in the first game is ideal bc OU will still be feeling things out and getting better. It sure doesn't seem based on the last 10 games that we're the kind of team that wears out or breaks down physically.
Posted On: Dec 28th 2017, 10:46 AM #375979

There is a big difference wearing down against conference USA schools compared to Oklahoma.

The one thing that scares me about our offense. It’s great how fast we go when we’re going up and down the field scoring, but when we’re the underdog, and we go three and out and held the ball for 60 secs is what scares me against a team like Oklahoma. 

I love your enthusiasm, but the bias that comes off your posts is off the charts lol
Back to the top

OU will be an extremely tall task. Honestly i am just looking for them to play well in this game. There will be a lot of new faces and I would think gelling the first week against OU will be tough. Air Force is an interesting game, one we should win but could see it being tough. UCF is THE game next year IMO.
Back to the top
Control functions: