Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Miami (OH) LB / ST coach Matt Edwards to join FAU coaching staff

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Photo Courtesy Miami University

According to Football Scoop, Miami (OH) linebacker / special team's coach Matt Edwards will reportedly join FAU's coaching staff.

The news comes one day after defensive line / special team's coach Brett Diersen departed the program to take a position at Northern Illinois.

Edwards coached two seasons at Miami (OH), after spending eight years working at Kent State. While with the Golden Flashers, he was assigned the responsibility of the defensive line unit and worked along side current Owls' defensive coordinator Pete Rekstis. In 2010 Kent State's defense set a new single season school record for sacks.

Hailing originally from West Chester, Ohio, Edwards played linebacker at Miami (OH) from 1999-2002 and started as a true freshman.

Edwards primarily recruited in Ohio, but landed some prospects out of Georgia while at Kent State.
Back to the top

Re: Miami (OH) LB / ST coach Matt Edwards to join FAU coaching staff

Seems like a good hire...hope he brings some offensive linemen with him
Back to the top

Andrew said

What are sacks?
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

Andrew said

In 2010 Kent State's defense set a new single season school record for sacks.
What are sacks?

QB sack.
Back to the top

Owl2Doc said

TeamBeer said

Andrew said

What are sacks?

QB sack.

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic because we haven't had many sacks the last few seasons.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

Owl2Doc said

TeamBeer said

Andrew said

What are sacks?

QB sack.

Pretty sure he was being sarcastic because we haven't had many sacks the last few seasons.

No red font………..

;D
Back to the top

Miami (OH) LB / ST coach Matt Edwards to join FAU coaching staff

Ha ha c'mon fellas! Ya'll are getting a little slow over the holidays  ;D yes, I mentioned it because there's a REALLY good chance  that we've been the worst team in the NCAA ranks over the last five years. I know we finished 116th out of 120 this year, but I can't think of a guy that's been a QB terror…ever for FAU. Ramon Rickards? Josh Pinnick? I remember Michael Hancock used to get into the backfield more than anyone but then would just run around aimlessly once he got back there  :)

I've been waiting for Corey Henry to become the guy everyone thought he'd be 3 years ago!
Back to the top

TeamBeer said

Ha ha c'mon fellas! Ya'll are getting a little slow over the holidays  ;D yes, I mentioned it because there's a REALLY good chance  that we've been the worst team in the NCAA ranks over the last five years. I know we finished 116th out of 120 this year, but I can't think of a guy that's been a QB terror…ever for FAU. Ramon Rickards? Josh Pinnick? I remember Michael Hancock used to get into the backfield more than anyone but then would just run around aimlessly once he got back there  :)

I've been waiting for Corey Henry to become the guy everyone thought he'd be 3 years ago!

Very true TeamBeer, very true!
Back to the top

Well that vacancy didn't last long.

TeamBeer said

I remember Michael Hancock used to get into the backfield more than anyone but then would just run around aimlessly once he got back there  :)

Got a visual and laughed hahaha
Back to the top

Here's FAU's release:

Florida Atlantic University Head Football Coach Carl Pelini has announced that Matt Edwards has been named FAU’s defensive line coach.

Edwards comes to FAU from Miami University-Ohio where he served as special teams coordinator and linebackers coach. After 10 years, Edwards will be reuniting with another former Red Hawks’ defensive coordinator Pete Rekstis, who also served as defensive coordinator during Edwards’ first year with the team.

“I’m blessed with the addition of Matt Edwards,” said Pelini. “He has extensive experience as a defensive line coach and as a special teams coordinator, but more importantly, he is a good person who genuinely cares about his players.”

Edwards began coaching in 2003 as the linebackers coach at the College of Wooster. He then spent eight seasons working at Kent State starting out as a graduate assistant and was eventually named defensive line coach. During his career with the Golden Flashes, Edwards coached numerous players who received MAC honors, including Roosevelt Nix, MAC Defensive Player of the Year in 2010, and Danny Muir, former starter for the Indianapolis Colts.

In 2011, Edwards returned to his alma mater and coached the Miami Red Hawks’ defensive ends before taking on the responsibility as special teams coordinator and linebackers coach.

Edwards began his collegiate playing career as a linebacker for a team that finished his freshman season with a 10-1 record. He then moved to defensive end and served as team captain his senior year. Edwards earned his bachelor’s degree in sport organization in 2002.
Back to the top
Control functions: