Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Mid-Season Thoughts

duder said

I would agree with FauFan that our best shot for recognition is playing a bigger school with the chance for victory.  If we lose, we lose.  If we win we've pulled the upset.  On the other hand if we destroy say a Central Michigan or Akron again, no one really pays attention.

Posted On: Oct 15th 2018, 3:29 PM #381974

Pains me to say this but we've had two chances to play bigger schools this year and they weren't pretty.

If we could go on another run this season like we did last year I might be willing to forget what I witnessed in Norman and Orlando, but for right now…smacking down Central Michigan or Akron sounds kinda comforting.
Back to the top

Hoot_N_Holler said

Pains me to say this but we've had two chances to play bigger schools this year and they weren't pretty.

If we could go on another run this season like we did last year I might be willing to forget what I witnessed in Norman and Orlando, but for right now…smacking down Central Michigan or Akron sounds kinda comforting.
Posted On: Oct 15th 2018, 9:06 PM #381989

I hear ya.  I have no illusion that we could beat a juggernaut in a normal game, but if get lucky and get a "left out" SEC (or insert any other big conf.) team that lost out on a major bowl and is stuck playing us  in Boca or New Mexico we might have a shot  :Laughing:

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

Hoot_N_Holler said

duder said

I would agree with FauFan that our best shot for recognition is playing a bigger school with the chance for victory.  If we lose, we lose.  If we win we've pulled the upset.  On the other hand if we destroy say a Central Michigan or Akron again, no one really pays attention.

Posted On: Oct 15th 2018, 3:29 PM #381974

Posted On: Oct 15th 2018, 9:06 PM #381989

Ok OU is one story and as for UCF. That was a two score game with 10:00 we ran for over 300 vs them. We lost by three scores and lost TO margin by three. The difference in that game was vet QB vs young one in the road. 

I have no worries about playing any other AAC team.
Back to the top

Yeah, I agree with you on UCF.  It felt great when we took the lead, though short lived - those UCF scoring drives before and after half time were deflating in the stands.

I had all the confidence in the world during the Conference USA run last season.  Would have been nice to be in a bigger bowl game when we were firing on all pistons - I think we could have hung with just about anyone.

I haven't watched Cincinnati, Houston, or USF play this year so I can't really form an opinion.  Did watch parts of UCF and Memphis this past weekend - good game, the Tigers could have won that one.

Back to the top

USF does not impress me - typical kinda boring Charlie String team. Lot of close wins this year.
Back to the top

Cincinnati is similar to USF - not really sure how good either one of them are because they haven't really played any good teams.  USF has wins over Georgia Tech and Illinois, and Cincy beat UCLA - but none of those teams are very good.  USF still has games left against Houston, Cincy, and UCF.  There is a more than decent chance both teams can get to 10 wins (almost guaranteed they each get to at least 9), but they very well may have 2 (for Cincy) or even 3 (for USF) losses against the only good teams they ended up facing all year.

CUSA tie-ins are:
Gasparilla vs AAC
Bahamas vs MAC
Boca vs AAC
New Mexico vs Mountain West
Hawaii vs Mountain West
New Orleans vs Sun Belt
First Responders (formerly Heart of Texas) vs Big Ten

And secondary tie-ins with the Independence (ACC and SEC) and Frisco (AAC and MAC).

But of course as others have said, FAU needs to take care of business and get to 6 or 7 or 8 wins for any of that to matter.  As a thread looking at mid-season thoughts, I think the second half is an easier schedule compared to the obvious tough games we had early, but we need to play much better if we want to be better than 3-3 in the last half of the slate.  I think we have at least 4 more wins in us (but think we can get 5 and hope for 6 with another chance at a CUSA championship).  8-4 we are marketable with our coach and Motor.  9-4 even a little more so.  All the stars align and it could be 10-3 and conference champs again.  But if we don't improve 3-3 the rest of the way and 6-6 overall is not out of the question.  A 6 or 7-win season would probably have the Boca or Bahamas Bowl written all over it.  Of course, 8-10 wins could result in that, too!

Hopefully we see more confidence return after the ODU game helps erase some of the bad memories from the 2nd half at MTSU.
Back to the top
Control functions: