Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Moving student section

Silver_Bullet32 said

yeah bringing back to football….geesh….

I think the school should consider kicking the start times back to 7pm….the sun can be brutal on that side of the field in the afternoon….that's really the biggest negative I see…
Posted On: Jun 15th 2019, 6:09 PM #386819

Hey now…deadlines. 🤣

I really like those late afternoon, early evening (5 p.m.ish) starts. The 6:30 ones for CBS SN games are good, too. And I think the days of the noon Saturday start times are gone.

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

I'm one of the season ticket holders being displaced from the Atlantic Sideline to the Home Side.  Not too bad a deal for me, better seats at the same price for 5 years.  But I pity the folks who use to get mini-plans for $66 and now have to pony up $225 just to sit in the shade.  Single game tickets on that side are also $75 to $85 a piece.  Yes, a few more students may be enticed to show up for a game but I fear at the expense of losing the locals, particularly families who can't afford a couple hundred dollars to see us trash Wagner on a Saturday night.
Back to the top

Thanks for sharing the info. I was wondering how they were going to handle  that.  
Back to the top

oldowl said

I'm one of the season ticket holders being displaced from the Atlantic Sideline to the Home Side.  Not too bad a deal for me, better seats at the same price for 5 years.  But I pity the folks who use to get mini-plans for $66 and now have to pony up $225 just to sit in the shade.  Single game tickets on that side are also $75 to $85 a piece.  Yes, a few more students may be enticed to show up for a game but I fear at the expense of losing the locals, particularly families who can't afford a couple hundred dollars to see us trash Wagner on a Saturday night.
Posted On: Jun 17th 2019, 9:13 PM #386849

Been quiet until now, but going to have to drop some dimes here.

One thing I have learned after working (for almost 10 years) at FAU and now in the private sector 15 years for a company that has to produce a product people actually want to buy rather than taxing another "body" for their operating budget, is that, bar none, the University does not hire people with business acumen.

This is obviously typical of government at large, but is worth pointing out when you see a school like Liberty, and what they have done in a very short amount of time.

We have made some stellar decisions on coaches but the wrong people are leading the way in other capacities.

With no admirable strategy to put forth and be recognized for, they actually have returned to the well of tax and spend and make it look like the students are getting something "extra" when they already pay $20M to fund operations to begin with? Is that a joke?

Case in point, why do we still not have naming rights to the stadium?

That is LAUGHABLE.

The Geo Group deal was $6M over 12 years, which equates to $500K annually.

Sell it for $250K per year! Who cares about meeting a "target price" out of the gate. Do something. It's been almost 8 years!

Besides, lost revenue.

And…

Rant over.

Back to the top

Was also waiting to hear from the displaced. I'm glad to hear it's not all bad. But I hear you saying mini-plans. Are those also sold in multi-year plans? I've been out of town a while (2012). Giving out the extra student seating did and does seem like the right move (if we can fill them), but not at the expense of "down-grading" those who've already paid… There's a lot to it (which we've proven in now another thread).

It does seem crazy that we haven't sold naming rights. I'd dream for a Carnival Cruise Lines, fortune five hundred(?), based out of south Florida and fitting with our "in Paradise" shtick. But at this rate and in this year, I'd settle for Bob's Small Retail at pennies on the dollars we don't have…

New semester starts in a few days, doesn't it? New players reporting, I'd hope.
Back to the top

...you meant, now they have to buy in the more expensive section. Got it.
Back to the top

Well on the naming rights issue, i think the school is lot more weary now of really trying to sell the naming rights, because of every company that may issue naming rights, will be scrutinze. I think maybe we should approach publix for naming rights. Its a company that everyone in Florida seems to love. As far as the students moving, lets move them back to the original sections, and do a fund raising campaign for a second digital video score board in the North Endzone. But that is my opinion.
Back to the top

I think Carnival would be an excellent choice - BIG Corp name, S. Florida home, entertainment based. And use the cruise ship horn after every Owl score, long and deep!!! Like Rick said, $250K a year for the past 8 years is $2 MILLION we don't have!!! FAU WAY overpriced everything from day one IMHO!
Back to the top

Rick said

Been quiet until now, but going to have to drop some dimes here.
Posted On: Jun 17th 2019, 11:20 PM #386851

I think this is a bit unfair to FAU.

We have had 3 different presidents and 3 different AD not counting interim in the last 10 years.

When I went to the coaches show last week I grabbed one of the Paradise club brochures and it has a graphic that displayed in the fiscal year July 1, 2017, to  July 1, 2018, the Paradise Club (used to be called the OSF) only raised about 390,000 dollars. This is unrestricted money from small donations, what people pay for parking, the donation amount is season tickets. In comparison, UCF raised around 5 million and even school like UNCC raised UNCC raised 2.3 million. I was told that for the fiscal year ending in the next couple weeks we will have nearly tripled our previous year.

Seeing a near 300% rise in Paradise donations doesn't reflect ''no strategy.''

From conversations, I have had with this new group (which is amazing by the way for anyone who has had interactions with Micheal Graffin or Alvin Hines in athletics) the past AD is his team lacked effort creativity. When they realized they could not raise money like OSU they did not know how to grow through grassroots.

They are doing a ton behind the scenes to build this just few fans and donors at a time. When I was in Orlando for the UCF game I and a few others were staying a buddy's house and athletics came by to drop off one the Paradise signs and other promotional gear. Having guys to the other side to Orlando on a game day to interact with some fans is how FAU will build.

I do not know where this group stands with naming rights, but I am glad we never ended up with a private prison group.

Also, Liberty is a very poor example as a good job because they have over 94,000 students online, so you can do the math on what they taking for athletics.

They are a private degree factory who lets anyone in who believes in that ideology.  

Back to the top

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

I think this is a bit unfair to FAU….Also, Liberty is a very poor example as a good job because they have over 94,000 students online, so you can do the math on what they taking for athletics.
Posted On: Jun 18th 2019, 3:43 PM #386860

It's been 8 years and we have no stadium naming rights…that's an unquestionable fail from leadership, and has nothing to do with the OSF and basically volunteer resources. No issue with them…glad they are doing better!

But thank you for making my point about Liberty in a way never intended….They invested in being the market leader in something and it paid off - big time. Where was FAU's leadership when online classes became a thing? Asleep.

However, online revenues and fees actually has very little to do with their athletic program growth and success…

They have an endowment of $1.43 BILLION, which is FIVE TIMES that of FAU ($275 Million).

That is the main point here…and is how they built the program so fast…and it requires leadership in the form of presenting a vision and obtaining buy in to accomplish…

Anyway, back to the topic, glad FAU students will be sitting in a better area this season - good for them.
Back to the top
Control functions: