Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

National Attention, National Media mentions of FAU

Hoot_N_Holler said

ESPN mentioned the Marshall-FAU game on Sports Center Saturday morning…but only talked about Kiffin dialing up the safety and not covering the spread.  No mention of becoming bowl eligible, beating Marshall for the first time, Motor, etc.

Come on man…that along with Kiffin's rat poison Tweet is the story ESPN?
Posted On: Nov 4th 2017, 8:20 AM #372776

Pretty much, better than it used to be
Back to the top

Pretty sad.  I got back to the hotel room last night expecting to maybe see at least a couple of highlights.  It was non-stop NBA coverage that I couldn't stand to watch more than the 10 minutes I invested.  The back-to-back trick plays to finish a 3-play 94-yard drive when the other team had seized momentum is more than worthy of TV coverage.

Not to mention Motor's 2nd consecutive 200-yard rushing effort (he is in the top-5 in the NCAA).  You know, he is only leading the country in rushing TDs!!!
Back to the top

Newsflash guys: SportsCenter isn't the place to get CFB highlights, especially for a G5 team. College Football Final on ESPN2 and ESPNU is your best bet. After that, then don't expect ESPN to give us squat.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Even though the recognition would be nice, the stomping we have given C-USA after being the league doormats is good enough for me.
Back to the top

Good point - winning is more important than highlights.  Just sad that the world wants to call attention to any tweet Lane makes (pretty smart by him to get attention personally and for the team).  But with USF and UCF getting some pub with the down years of UF and FSU, you'd think our play and turnaround - particularly the stats by Singletary - would garner something other than regional coverage. 
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Good point - winning is more important than highlights.  Just sad that the world wants to call attention to any tweet Lane makes (pretty smart by him to get attention personally and for the team).  But with USF and UCF getting some pub with the down years of UF and FSU, you'd think our play and turnaround - particularly the stats by Singletary - would garner something other than regional coverage. 
Posted On: Nov 4th 2017, 1:06 PM #372784

Understood – but Lane as an individual is a bigger brand than the football program. He is going to catch headlines, not FAU – yet, no matter what FAU does in C USA. I'm fine with it actually because he is clearly putting the FAU name out there. I just hope Singletary starts getting a bit more shine nationally.
Back to the top

Unfortunately for us (and him), Singletary is being overlooked because the media is focusing on Bryce Love and Saquon Barkley, who are admittedly talented in their own right and doing their damage in P5 conferences.
Back to the top

Kiffin on a "coach of the year" list:

Ranking the top Coach of the Year candidates [Video]
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Posted On: Nov 7th 2017, 12:52 AM #372894

Just another guy who knows nothing about G5 or Conference USA.  I know it just some loser with his musings but any coach of the year talk from CUSA needs to start with UAB's coach.  Guy has been a miracle worker.
Back to the top

Just another guy said

owlsdad said

Posted On: Nov 7th 2017, 12:52 AM #372894
Just another guy who knows nothing about G5 or Conference USA.  I know it just some loser with his musings but any coach of the year talk from CUSA needs to start with UAB's coach.  Guy has been a miracle worker.
Posted On: Nov 7th 2017, 3:34 AM #372895
I actually totally agree right now - and certainly on a national level. Kiffin and company have helped this team out tremendously, so if we go undefeated through CUSA and win the championship with a team coming off three 3-9 seasons (that would be a 10-3 record) I think it is hard to argue he won't be in contention for at least the coach of the year in the conference.

UAB is coming off the ridiculous 2 years "off" because of some crazy people in Alabama, so their 6-3 record is amazing.  But I project them to probably be 7-5 when the season ends - a winning record and a bowl is serious coaching from a re-start program.  UAB was picked to finish last in the West, so that is further evidence of what they have been doing in Birmingham.

The theme of this thread is FAU getting attention/national media.  I don't think he is going to win this award (or even deserves it), but just being in the clip gets the program valuable exposure. 
Back to the top
Control functions: