Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

New OL Coach - John Garrison

From FootballScoop:

FAU: Source tells FootballScoop UNLV offensive line coach John Garrison will be the new offensive line coach at FAU. Garrison has served as UNLV’s OL coach since 2015. He previously had coached offensive line at Nebraska as well.
Back to the top

I don't know much about him. This is interesting.
Back to the top

Played center at Nebraska from 99-02, they were really good back then.
Also has Coached at Nebraska, was the Oline coach when Ameer Abdullah ran consecutive seasons over 1500yds. Seems like a pretty good hire to me, as good as we'll get for this role. Was a Rivals top 25 recruiter in 2014.
Back to the top

teambeer said

Also has Coached at Nebraska, was the Oline coach when Ameer Abdullah ran consecutive seasons over 1500yds. Seems like a pretty good hire to me, as good as we'll get for this role. Was a Rivals top 25 recruiter in 2014.
Posted On: Jan 23rd 2018, 9:52 AM #376584

Sounds like a great hire. Like you said, as good as we can get for this position at this level.
Back to the top

teambeer said

Posted On: Jan 23rd 2018, 9:52 AM #376584

Has the credentials of a great hire.

Nebraska OLine is top 5 in the country year in and year out.  

Add the ability to recruit to that…seems like a homerun to me.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

He's updated his twitter banner to that great shot of the Boca Resort…go grab a couple cornfed boys and bring them to Boca this weekend, lets see if we can change some minds.
Back to the top

Just looked at UNLV stats.  They were a pretty mediocre team overall last season, but they did average over 240 yards rushing (2882 total yards, 5.5 yards per carry, 29 rushing TDs).  They did give up 24 sacks (2 per game) totaling a loss of 145 yards, so the running game actually produced a little over 3000 total yards.  I also looked at their 2016 stats and they were almost identical.

With his background I would expect him to be a good o-line coach, and I saw mention above about him being recognized as a good recruiter.  My only concern is his Nebraska and West Coast background and how he will be able to build relationships and recruiting in the South (and in Florida specifically).

But no doubt, he played at Nebraska when being a lineman there meant you were as good as anybody in the country.  And he coached there back when they were still playing well and running the ball extremely well.  So he should know what he is talking about.
Back to the top

I personally feel like we left a FAU guy hanging. A 2017 top 10 OL coach. Lets see if this guy can do what Justice could do. First move KiffIn has made that leaves me scratching my head. Why take a risk with an unknown when we know what we had. I wonder if Lane was holding a grudge because a young coach wanted to advance and things fell through.  Sound like what happened to KiffIn in his career. Hope it works out.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

I personally feel like we left a FAU guy hanging. A 2017 top 10 OL coach. Lets see if this guy can do what Justice could do. First move KiffIn has made that leaves me scratching my head. Why take a risk with an unknown when we know what we had. I wonder if Lane was holding a grudge because a young coach wanted to advance and things fell through.  Sound like what happened to KiffIn in his career. Hope it works out.
Posted On: Jan 23rd 2018, 3:39 PM #376591

Why do you think Justice wanted/or even could come back?

I sure he has other offers.
Back to the top

Your sure ? Tell us about it.
Back to the top
Control functions: