Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Observations: Kiffin

In 2017 when our marketing was better we centered it mostly on Kiffin and it worked,  I remembered reading on here how someone said we should not tie the school to Lane.  We were winning and it didn’t matter it’s like we were the band and he was the lead singer. Now that our marketing isn’t good if he leaves it’s better because we are not bound by Kiffin. The school and program are bigger than him and separate, we can thrive without him. Don’t forget,  he needed us more than we needed him,  it’s not like we were a storied program with 5 national titles (Like Nebraska) this was his last chance. 

One of my coworkers played O-line for Taggart at WKU and he never liked Taggart, said he was an opportunist and just cared about the next high profile job he can get and not the players. Kiffin did mention it’s not about the money and pressure, or high profile job no more, but then still taking offers.  He is still an opportunist himself, I spoke to someone that said the same about Kiffin, he doesn’t care about FAU only himself, at this point seems about true considering if he dips out when we need him the most.

Think about it if he leaves after the conference championship it will hurt us.  He will inconvenience us, no head coach at the bowl unless Spencer coaches, loss of our 2020 recruiting class and staff.  We will be back at square one.  Does Kiffin care? Maybe but probably not, if he did he wouldn’t be courting sorry Arkansas in our backyard. If he stays we stay on high alert for a successor our guard should be up if he leaves good luck.  

His time here is a bit skewed a smart AD would look at this risk analysis and make a discussion off these factors. I am playing devils advocate at an outsiders perspective. He won with Partridges players,  had one losing season in one of FBS’ worst conferences, never got FAU ranked( close but no cigar), never beat a ranked team, never beat a Power 5 team,still tweets foolishness that brings more unwanted media attention to a school; that’s a hard pass.  

Now say we are ranked now top 25, beat UCF and OSU then yes that’s more of a hey this guy is winning tough out of conference games and on verge of winning a conference championship. He’s hireable with making a dollar out of 15 cents. Do you think he leaves, and if he messed our chances at a CUSA championship or a high profile bowl because of this stunt, would you still respect him?
Back to the top

I'm happy he came here and if he goes to a P5 job it proves we're a launching pad. Qualified coaches will be lining up for the job and I have a lot of faith in our AD White. Enjoy it. Its like with attendance. I had a blast at the game Saturday even if it wasn't a sellout or whatever. The Schmidt Center is amazing and we have a lot to offer. Honestly, I think Kiffin does care about FAU. Whether he leaves this offseason or not, it doesn't mean anything about whether he cares about FAU. I think he wants us to succeed. Then he'll get credit for building our program. Whether that's true, I don't know. I appreciate Kiffin. But if you want no lip service, he was handed the highest paying job in the conference (maybe behind Littrell) and the highest assistant coaches pool. These were huge things. He took a strength coach from Bama (not the worst team to take an assistant strength coach from). And proceeded to fill the staff with incredibly skilled coaches. Then, he hired a DC because we have the resources. All of this is pre Schmidt Center, which hasn’t opened yet. Personally, I think he doesn’t get a P5 offer and will be back next season. I have no idea if this is right, but I heard on another site that the Arkansas BOT is not ecstatic over Kiffin. It seems like the AD knows Kiffin, and that’s the only reason he offered Kiffin, as he still has no other offers bc he hasn’t proven enough yet, things you’ve talked about like P5 wins, top 25. Think impartially if you were thinking about Hiring Kiffin he’s still way too risky, you would probably want to see another couple years to see if he can really build and sustain a program. Basically he got lucky bc of the Arkansas AD but got shot down by BOT I may be wrong 
Back to the top

I think you have to be naive in thinking Lane was going to stay for too long.  He may not go to Arkansas, but the way things are setup now schools are going to be hiring replacement coaches after conference championships on a yearly basis because of when the early signing day occurs.  I won’t hold that against Kiffin or Norvell or <insert name of G5 coach who gets a P5 gig>.  I like my company, but if somebody came along and offered me 4x the pay and an opportunity to play in front of bigger crowds and for bigger prizes - hard for me to pretend I wouldn’t entertain that idea. 

As for him winning with Partridge’s players, I guess I would ask how was Charlie doing with those guys?  Lane as the FAU coach will end up being beneficial for both sides for however long he is here - he is winning with those players and has continued to bring in talent.  

Yes - it will be an immediate blow to recruiting and the bowl game if he were to leave.  But go back and read threads from the time he was hired and I think most people said they assumed this would be a 3-4 year “stepping stone” job and would be happy if he brought immediate success.  I’d say hosting the C-USA championship and playing in bowl games in 2 of the 3 years (so far) would qualify. 
Back to the top

owlsdad said

I think you have to be naive in thinking Lane was going to stay for too long.  He may not go to Arkansas, but the way things are setup now schools are going to be hiring replacement coaches after conference championships on a yearly basis because of when the early signing day occurs.  I won’t hold that against Kiffin or Norvell or .  I like my company, but if somebody came along and offered me 4x the pay and an opportunity to play in front of bigger crowds and for bigger prizes - hard for me to pretend I wouldn’t entertain that idea. 

As for him winning with Partridge’s players, I guess I would ask how was Charlie doing with those guys?  Lane as the FAU coach will end up being beneficial for both sides for however long he is here - he is winning with those players and has continued to bring in talent.  

Yes - it will be an immediate blow to recruiting and the bowl game if he were to leave.  But go back and read threads from the time he was hired and I think most people said they assumed this would be a 3-4 year “stepping stone” job and would be happy if he brought immediate success.  I’d say hosting the C-USA championship and playing in bowl games in 2 of the 3 years (so far) would qualify. 
Posted On: Dec 3rd 2019, 11:51 PM #391429
This^

Additionally, IMHO the year 2 letdown was caused but high turnover in the coaching staff. We lost OC. DC, OlineC, Etc…It's nearly impossible to recover from something like this unless your Alabama.

Do I want coach to go to Arkansas, hell no! But I'll root for them if thats where LK ends up. Lane resurrected this program and I will always remember that fact.
Back to the top

Lane did his job and more. FAU football was on the verge of irrelevancy. I want him to stay but I am not going to cry about the great job he has done here.
Back to the top

IF lane leaves, let's look at the positives. We are at the top of our conference. The FAU  hc job will be a very attractive job.
Back to the top

faufan300 said

In 2017 when our marketing was better we centered it mostly on Kiffin and it worked,  I remembered reading on here how someone said we should not tie the school to Lane.  We were winning and it didn’t matter it’s like we were the band and he was the lead singer. Now that our marketing isn’t good if he leaves it’s better because we are not bound by Kiffin. The school and program are bigger than him and separate, we can thrive without him. Don’t forget,  he needed us more than we needed him,  it’s not like we were a storied program with 5 national titles (Like Nebraska) this was his last chance. 

one of my coworkers played O-line for Taggart at WKU and he never liked Taggart, said he was an opportunist and just cared about the next high profile job he can get and not the players. Kiffin did mention it’s not about the money and pressure, or high profile job no more, but then still taking offers.  He is still an opportunist himself, I spoke to someone that said the same about Kiffin, he doesn’t care about FAU only himself, at this point seems about true considering if he dips out when we need him the most.

Think about it if he leaves after the conference championship it will hurt us.  He will inconvenience us, no head coach at the bowl unless Spencer coaches, loss of our 2020 recruiting class and staff.  We will be back at square one.  Does Kiffin care? Maybe but probably not, if he did he wouldn’t be courting sorry Arkansas in our backyard. If he stays we stay on high alert for a successor our guard should be up if he leaves good luck.  

His time here is a bit skewed a smart AD would look at this risk analysis and make a discussion off these factors. I am playing devils advocate at an outsiders perspective. He won with Partridges players,  had one losing season in one of FBS’ worst conferences, never got FAU ranked( close but no cigar), never beat a ranked team, never beat a Power 5 team,still tweets foolishness that brings more unwanted media attention to a school; that’s a hard pass.  

Now say we are ranked now top 25, beat UCF and OSU then yes that’s more of a hey this guy is winning tough out of conference games and on verge of winning a conference championship. He’s hireable with making a dollar out of 15 cents. Do you think he leaves, and if he messed our chances at a CUSA championship or a high profile bowl because of this stunt, would you still respect him?
Posted On: Dec 3rd 2019, 11:16 PM #391427
One question, If someone came to you and offered you triple your current income would you pull a “stunt” and be an “opportunist” and jump on the opportunity to triple your income and advance your career?

I think your understanding of his time here is a bit skewed.  Although technically correct the fact is he took a perennial bottom dweller with 3 wins and will most likely win the conference 2 out of 3 years and have accounted for over 25% of our 101 wins in 3 out of our 19 seasons. He will be leaving us with the new academic center (which I don’t believe for a second would have happened without him here), at the top of the conference with some amazing talent and probably one of the most desirable head coaching positions in the G5.

We are in the G5, EVERY good coach will eventually get poached.  That is the landscape we live in.  That doesn’t mean they are terrible people.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

…or, this is just a big stunt to keep the "rat poison" away from the players before such important games. He entertains the Arkansas AD because of their personal connection (I didn't know about that) and takes advantage of that to keep his players focused.

just sayin'…
Back to the top

No brainer
Back to the top

faufan300 said

One of my coworkers played O-line for Taggart at WKU and he never liked Taggart, said he was an opportunist and just cared about the next high profile job he can get and not the players. Kiffin did mention it’s not about the money and pressure, or high profile job no more, but then still taking offers.  He is still an opportunist himself, I spoke to someone that said the same about Kiffin, he doesn’t care about FAU only himself, at this point seems about true considering if he dips out when we need him the most.

Posted On: Dec 3rd 2019, 11:16 PM #391427

Lane has brought so much good to this program, and has raised the level of the program to a top 5-10 G5 program. I only dreamed of the success we have had during his time here as Head Coach. With the Schmidt center and the leadership of President Kelly and Brian White, and the parting gift of a buy out. I have no doubt if Lane leaves we will bring in a quality replacement.
Back to the top
Control functions: