Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Observations Part 2

The game against AF was a tricky game; tbh MW teams are hard to play with because of their style of play and combination of strength and speed.  Some of those teams are a poor man’s Power 5 team and compete with those caliber of teams from time to time (Boise St., SDSU, AF, Hawaii).  Robison looked great, he was poised and he throws the ball very nicely.  He reminds me of a young Rusty Smith but with a better throwing motion and arm, he may break a lot of records if he stays the starter.  The thing that makes Kiffin special like I have mentioned before is how he coaches up these players.  Robison had a tough game mentally against OU, but bounced back beating a MW service academy team while breaking the single game yards record at FAU.  Durante and Willie Wright are a good combo and are becoming a great duo at the receiving corp.  I looked at our schedule and CUSA is not that great this year, we are nowhere close to the other Group of 5 leagues.  This shows in out of conference play,  teams like Charlotte and WKU are not that good and it reflects with their scores against other teams.  If we can establish a run game again then I could see us being better offensively than last year, because we could beat you in the air and on the ground.  Singletary needs to get going, it seems like he’s too timid and the play calls  for him have been bad.  Singletary is finesse back, he’s great because of what he can do with the ball in his hands with decent spacing.  When you call a play up the middle with no space he’s like every back running into a wall.  Robison is good and all but we can’t forget what made us successful last year, if Robision has another anemic game or has a bad throwing day we need to utilize Singletary.  He is still our best player, I can see him having a monster game against Bethune Cookman and he needs it.  Now the defense did step up, and succeed stopping the triple option, however we are still giving up a lot of yards and too many points.  I hope this positive start for us getting better on that side of the ball will balance out around conference play. Our punter is not good, and our special teams can cost us a game this year.  UCF is the real measuring stick not OU as far as talent and Florida bragging rights, if we can beat them as a ranked team on the road it will catapult us back into the convo of being ranked.  Plus if we win we would have probably ended the longest winning streak in the nation.
Back to the top

faufan300 said

UCF is the real measuring stick not OU as far as talent and Florida bragging rights, if we can beat them as a ranked team on the road it will catapult us back into the convo of being ranked.  Plus if we win we would have probably ended the longest winning streak in the nation.
Posted On: Sep 10th 2018, 4:54 PM #380594

Agreed that AF is a tricky game to evaluate because the score was closer than it should have been – kind of like Marshall last year, beating ourselves to make the game more interesting than it had to be. UCF though, will be a very tough game for us from what I've seen so far. We aren't going to beat them if we have no special team play and no running game. Remains to be seen how this pans out. What we can't afford as a program is to be absolutely humiliated on national TV again. At the very least, we need to put up a good showing for national perception and any chance to get ranked at the end of the year.

Back to the top

Given what CUSA looks like so far, running the table in the conference is not going to impress the pollsters any more than it did last season.  But of course it is still a big deal for the Owls.  UCF will also be looking to make a statement every chance they get a big audience, too.  So it is an important game for both teams.  FAU to try and show they belong and that the OU game was an outlier - UCF to keep their string of wins going (as I expect they hammer UNC this coming week assuming the game is played and not canceled due to Florence).
Back to the top

To me I am rooting for the OSU Cowboys to beat Boise and for UCF to beat a bad UNC. Then WE have to do our jobs and take down UCF the following week. Only way we still have any shot at the Group of 5 slot.
Back to the top

Doubt that the UCF - UNC game will be played this weekend.
Back to the top

Unless the storm tracks further north  (which I think it very well may). And IF UCF were to run the table again, THIS will be used to keep them out again! Too weak a schedule.

But let's ruin that party ourselves Owls!!!!
Back to the top

Oddly, UNC might actually HURT the UCF strength of schedule.  The Tarheels still have some guys suspended, and have been absolutely AWFUL so far - getting beat soundly by ECU last week, who was coming off a loss to FCS-level North Carolina A&T the week before.

Crushing UNC I don't think would help UCF much (they were a 14.5 point favorite last I looked).
Back to the top

Back to the top

essency said

They have 2 weeks to prepare, but honestly this could help in that there could be rust from an unexpected week layover and still some unknowns re: our football team, which won't necessarily be answered by the Bethune Cookman game, a game where we can get some of our momentum back from last year. This UCF game is arguably the most important game in FAU history to this juncture. I'm serious – we can lose, but we have to have a good showing.
Back to the top

d-owl said

essency said

They have 2 weeks to prepare, but honestly this could help in that there could be rust from an unexpected week layover and still some unknowns re: our football team, which won't necessarily be answered by the Bethune Cookman game, a game where we can get some of our momentum back from last year. This UCF game is arguably the most important game in FAU history to this juncture. I'm serious – we can lose, but we have to have a good showing.
Posted On: Sep 11th 2018, 1:02 PM #380615
I think this may benefit us.  With FAU  playing a game and working out all the kinks it will get us prepared while they sit and practice lightly.  On a Friday night primetime game I can see us being the toughest competition they have seen all year at that moment in time, thus catching them by surprise. They have been playing nobody's but this is where we can steal one from them as they look ahead for to their next game.  We need the run game to get established and we need to work on special teams.  Once the run is established I think we will be hard to stop on offense.  It could be back and forth scoring,  but as far as intangibles and experience we will have the edge.This is the biggest game in program history, they are ranked and have the longest winning streak in FBS.  A win will be a game changer and an all-timer.
Back to the top
Control functions: