Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Observations

As the season nears I think we have to search for another identity.  Briles is gone, Motor is gone, Whyte is gone, Azzeez  is gone and Chris Kiffin is gone.  Everything that made 2017 memorable is basically gone except for Kiffin and Monte. Now our new way to win is to play solid defense and score enough to beat opponents.
Glenn Spencer is the key to this formula. Last season Charlotte was ranked #23 nationally in total defense and don’t even have he level of our skilled players we do.  They held The Volunteers to 20 yards rushing on the road at Neyland stadium. The key is to get Robison going, he can only get better.  He has the experience and  knows what to expect in a crazy game atmosphere, throwing Tronti will be disastrous since our receiver corps is still sketchy. What made us special in 2017 was how we caught people by surprise, no one thinks we will do anything this year and that’s fine.  I do believe OSU can struggle in the first games at the shoe or against certain opponents, Ohio years ago comes to mind. If you play clean ball and get stops then you have a chance. If our kicking and punting is bad the game will end terribly. What do you think is the X-factor to get an upset against OSU or even UCF?
Back to the top

Devine intervention
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Devine intervention
Posted On: Aug 7th 2019, 5:54 AM #387451

Against OSU, yes.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

If the team plays to their potential then we will be in the game with a chance to win. 
Back to the top

Have you been watching college football these past few years? Adequate defense is the best pretty much any program can hope for. To win you need explosive offense, it’s the way the game has trended because of evolution in play calling and players safety concerns.

Robison is the X factor. If he plays up to what his talent level allows, we will be up there. If he does not, then maybe we can hope for 6 wins. 

Compare Robison’s first year to Milton & Fine. Pretty similar. He has the physical attributes. Now he just needs to get it together between the ears, which I believe he can and will do. 

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

I'm excited to see what Glenn Spencer can do with our talent and I agree that the offense, in the end, will dictate how successful we'll be but I can't say that I "believe" that Robison will get his act together. Nothing he's done while being at FAU can warrant anyone saying they "believe" he'll change. We just have to hope he does.

Me, personally, I'm done with giving him high expectations, or even just reasonable expectations at this point. I'll just accept what we get from him, good and bad. I had reasonable expectations for him last year because he does have flashes of great talent and since he still had Motor to help bail him out in tough situations but he misses Spring practices this year when knowing he'd be QB1 going into this year and I'm now over it.

My eyes will be focused on the defense and how well Spencer changes it up, last year's defense was hard to watch.

Joe Lascari
Back to the top

The issue is not Robison it’s the receivers have to get open. But I want Tronti to be the starter 
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

The issue is not Robison it’s the receivers have to get open. But I want Tronti to be the starter 
Posted On: Aug 7th 2019, 10:34 AM #387456

I think it's a bit of both. I know he was highly rated out of HS, but sometimes that doesn't necessarily translate on the field. He has a strong arm but I think there were a lot of flaws on display last year, especially decision making – that could come with experience though.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

Posted On: Aug 7th 2019, 10:34 AM #387456

I want the best quarterback to throw footballs for us. Whoever is better plays. I don’t care who it is. I think Robison has the highest ceiling.

For example, if we ever want to take down a a real P5, we need a QB with Robisons ceiling. If we want to win the conference and never beat a real P5 (which is totally fine with me), then a Driskel-esque QB will be fine. I’m ok with that but would obviously prefer to make more national noise, better for the program and #theFAU. 

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

Talent-wise, and ONLY talent because we already know we can't fully trust him off the field, yes Robison shouldn't be looked at as the first issue. I also wouldn't completely blame it on the receivers though, Robison made quite a few questionable throws and decisions. But he's young so you take the good with the bad with his on-field play at this stage of his development.

I want the better QB to be the starter.

Speaking of receivers, I can't think of anyone on this offense that needs to step it up more than Willie Wright. His speed and athleticism is too good to have just 2 TD's last year. Will be looking forward to seeing if he can bounce-back this year and prove his freshman year wasn't just a mirage. He also looked out of place after that illegal hit that gave him a concussion late in the year so hopefully his mindset is ok.

Joe Lascari
Back to the top
Control functions: