Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Offensive Coordinator Search to Replace Wright

LawOwl said

Maybe not up tempo but we need a spread based offense. We have too many athletes not to and i dont think this O isn't built for a pro style offense

Posted On: Dec 7th 2015, 9:03 PM #352898

Spread doesn't have to mean uptempo 

Back to the top

Bring back Gary Nord!!! No, but really. He might be our best option unless we open up our checkbook. If not, we'll be getting a QB coach from a bigger school or an OC from a smaller school. The reality of the matter is that we're not going to attract someone already established as an OC at the D1 level with out pay and current situation.

Back to the top

FAUfasho said

Bring back Gary Nord!!! No, but really. He might be our best option unless we open up our checkbook. If not, we'll be getting a QB coach from a bigger school or an OC from a smaller school. The reality of the matter is that we're not going to attract someone already established as an OC at the D1 level with out pay and current situation.

Posted On: Dec 8th 2015, 8:27 AM #352909

OMG NO
Gary Nord in his last 5 years coaching he only coached an offence 1 year over 400 yards per game (402)
Why do you want guy who would…..
1. Completely change the style of 'O  we run and recruited for.
2. Has not coached college football in three years. No other school has wanted him he can't find a job coaching a powder puff girls football team yet you want him.
Coaching the spread isn't rocket science find some young coach who put up big numbers at the FCS level and take your chances.
Don't get a guy who is failed and not been able to recover.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

FAUfasho said

Posted On: Dec 8th 2015, 8:27 AM #352909

OMG NO
Gary Nord in his last 5 years coaching he only coached an offence 1 year over 400 yards per game (402)
Why do you want guy who would…..
1. Completely change the style of 'O  we run and recruited for.
2. Has not coached college football in three years. No other school has wanted him he can't find a job coaching a powder puff girls football team yet you want him.
Coaching the spread isn't rocket science find some young coach who put up big numbers at the FCS level and take your chances.
Don't get a guy who is failed and not been able to recover.

Posted On: Dec 8th 2015, 8:40 AM #352910

100% agree with OC40.  An FCS coach who runs whatever type of offense Charlie is looking for would be ideal.  Someone who can come in and hit the ground running putting his system in play.

It shocks me all of you are looking for a guy who after leaving FAU got nothing done at his next job at purdue, and hasn't been hired since 2012 and didn't make anything happen when he did have a job.

Back to the top

First off, I'm not an advocate of bringing back Gary Nord.

But for the record, Gary Nord ran the most prolific offense we have ever had, hands down, and did it with FAR less talent than we have now - period.

What I can say is that another FCS guy is not the answer. We need to set the bar higher on that plane.

The current $155,500.00 to work with isn't the best, but it isn't the worst either…however to make the position attractive to a "hot" FBS candidate, it will  likely have to be raised.

Back to the top

Out of the regionally desirable , top 10 passing offenses in the FCS we have:

Samford - I've spoken about Trickett (moreso Chris Hatcher who I like as a HC) before, that's my choice if we were to go after a pass heavy FCS leader.
Jacksonville - Is it right that Kerwin Bell is the HC/OC there? Doubt we could afford him to be an OC.

Murray St - Just promoted their OC to HC this month…he's not going anywhere.
Back to the top

Completely change the style of O we recruited for?? he ran a pro-style and that's what we recruited for. We recruited a fullback for goodness sake! His record while on our staff was 9-3, 2-9,5-7, 8-5 and 7-6. And I'll point out again, offensive player development VANISHED when he left.

You're thinking that an "up and coming" FCS coach is going to want to come here. We already tried an FCS coach and now we're looking for a new OC. I'm not saying that it can't work, but it's not like that's the only option.

Any OC is going to be taking a gamble coming here because they know that this could be Charlie's last year if they don't succeed. Which is why I said you're not going to get an established coach. No one like that is going to leave a good job for the uncertainty of FAU.

Gary Nord is not the end-all be-all of offensive coordinators, I know that. But I'm realistic to what we have to offer to coaches. And it was just a name I threw out because it was the first thing that came to mind. I'll gladly take anyone that can score 30 points a game and I'll take whatever offense they run as long as it's not the triple option!
Back to the top

Rick said

First off, I'm not an advocate of bringing back Gary Nord.

But for the record, Gary Nord ran the most prolific offense we have ever had, hands down, and did it with FAR less talent than we have now - period.

What I can say is that another FCS guy is not the answer. We need to set the bar higher on that plane.

The current $155,500.00 to work with isn't the best, but it isn't the worst either…however to make the position attractive to a "hot" FBS candidate, it will  likely have to be raised.

Posted On: Dec 8th 2015, 9:35 AM #352912

To be fair we've technically only had "two offenses" maybe three if you count BW with Pelini and with Partridge.  Still Considering we've only had two offensive coordinators in FAU FBS history, and we just fired one of them, I feel as though we can look outside the only other one the program has known and get some new blood in here.  I will try to do some looking around to see if I can come up with some names.

Back to the top

Pelini and Charlie have recruited for the spread for four years now.
Spread offensives use full backs look up Billy Latsko and Philip Lutzenkirchen.

Also I hate the notion that "o we just tried an FCS coach so we better go a different direction''
Its like when ever you have defensive coach and he fails  you want and offensive minded coach if you have players coach and he fails then the fans scream for a players coach.

I promise their are tons of coaches at the lower levels right now who will be a great coach one day.
Its Charlie's job to find him if not he wont be here next year.

Again Nord  failed and now has not been in the game for 3 years.
Coaches who don't coach for years are the plague.

Back to the top

I am for Nord just from the fact that it seems to elevate certain posters blood pressure to an healthy level.  It could make their head explode.
Back to the top
Control functions: