OwlBytes: 2019 FAU Football Fall Camp - August 19th
With less than two weeks to go until the Owls begin the season in Columbus, the team took the field for their 15th practice of fall camp. Today also marked the first Monday of the fall semester on campus.
- Javion Posey Buzz After a promising second scrimmage at quarterback, Lane Kiffin told reporters post game that true freshmen Javion Posey would begin work as a wide receiver. In assessing Posey`s performance today, Kiffin said “He looks good, natural athlete, very smooth, very good build for the position." The arrival of Cordel Littlejon to camp has given the team enough arms for the upcoming season. Posey could be used in a role similar as former WR John Franklin III played in 2017, where he averaged 14 yards per touch in a hybrid role. “He`s still a quarterback, at some point after the season, i'd assume you know he`d go back to quarterback”, said Kiffin today. In his first day of practice out wide, Posey was able to get separation from DBs. Posey passed the eye test while running routes and catching the ball.
- Jordan Helm Earns ScholarshipThe redshirt junior joined FAU as a walk on after completing a very successful career at Bartram Trail High School, just south of Jacksonville. As a senior, Helm was named to the Class 7A All-State First team. Helm projects to be featured on special teams, and secondary depth.
- Offensive Line Update The Owls appear set going into the season with senior Junior Diaz (photo) at center. The Miami Central High School Alum was granted a sixth year of eligibility after beginning his career at Tulane. The left side of the line is expected to be senior Brandon Walton at tackle and redshirt sophomore BJ Etienne at guard. Walton spent last season as the right tackle. It appears likely that Stonemen Douglas High School grad Nick Weber will open at right guard. Marquice Robinson and Doug Johnson Jr. continue to split reps with the first team at riight tackle. Both redshirted last season, and are entering their second season in the program.
- Banged Up Both senior WR John Mitchell and redshirt freshmen DB Teja Young did not practice today. Both were injured during saturday`s scrimmage. QB Justin Agner remains sidelined as well.
- Play of The Day In team drills, QB Chris Robison hit USF transfer WR Deangelo Antoine on a 30 yard post route. Antoine was able to maintain possession after a big collision with S Jordan Helm right at the goaline.
We've got a two-for-one today, with Head Coach Lane Kiffin up first:
RB Malcolm Davidson discusses his nickname of "Stallion", and his role on the team:
The Owls will return to practice tomorrow morning at the Oxley Center as the team is closing in on their final scrimmage which is scheduled for this Saturday. The final tuneup is closed to the public.