OwlBytes: 2019 FAU Football Fall Camp - August 3rd
In contrast to yesterday morning, the Owls took the field under the steamy hot Florida sun for the entire practice on Saturday. Strength Coach Wilson Love led the team through warm ups, and the second day of fall practice was underway.
- Senior WR John Mitchell tears it up at practice For the second straight day Mitchell`s catching radius has given FAU defensive backs headaches. Accordingly, quarterbacks have not been not been shy about targeting the tall and rangy wideout, who is pictured above, early in camp.
- Play of The Day Sophomore S Armani Eli-Adams made a diving interception on a pass thrown by QB Justin Agner in team drills. Adams made a diving interception on a post route intended for Junior WR Brandon Robinson. "Coaches wanna see us get to the ball" said fellow DB James Pierre. Hopefully this becomes a trend for FAU`s growing secondary.
- Redshirt Freshmen RB Malcolm Davidson ready for a bigger role FAU fans may remember Davidson`s lone carry last season for 32 yards against Bethune Cookman where he nearly took it all the way before slipping on the turf. The Kissimmee native looks noticeably bigger in camp. The added weight will be beneficial as Davidson is right in the mix for carries out of the backfield.
- Incoming freshmen Romain Mungin practices at corner The speedster practiced as a Wide Receiver yesterday. The coaching staff has been moving him around early in camp to see if his skill set is best suited for offense or defense.
- Senior WR LaDante Harris transitions to CB Harris only has 6 catches in his three prior seasons in the program. The Glenn Spencer defense features more Defensive Backs on the field at a time. With a strong camp Harris could find himself in rotation during the season. "We got a lot of DBs now, so that`s a big help. We don`t have to put so much pressure on our bodies. We can rotate more and make more plays" said senior CB Chris Tooley after practice.
Not to be lost in the shuffle of yesterday's full monty of interviewees, here's QB Nick Tronti, discussing what he brings to the table in the quarterback battle that will continue to ensue as we move through camp, and how he approaches his own playing style.
The Owls return to the field bright and early tomorrow morning for a 9:15 AM practice and will don shoulder pads for the first time, marking their third day of the acclimation period, which will conclude on Monday.