OwlBytes: 2019 FAU Football Fall Camp - August 5th
A promising morning quickly turned south as FAU attempted to complete Day 4, but had its first truly weather shortened practice of the season. The lightning hit about 30 minutes into the session and was then followed by a series of thunderstorms which sent activities in doors.
- "The Mob" In whats has become the nickname for the new Glenn Spencer led defense, several members of the Owl secondary have said they are adjusting comfortably to the new scheme. Cornerbacks are playing more man to man defense and are looking forward to being back on an island.
- Rising Stars FAU has many players who they can feature in the new look, and who could become a star therein. Some of the potential candidates including sophomore Ahman Ross, junior Zyon Gilbert, redshirt freshmen Armani Eli-Adams, and redshirt freshmen Teja Young. "There`s a lot of things we do to disguise certain coverages," said the former Palm Beach Lakes standout Young after practice in hopes of "keeping defenses off balanced."
- Running Back Room is Crowded Arguably the position of unlimited potential on the FAU roster, leading the group right now is transfer junior RB BJ Emmons and junior RB James Charles. In his first fall camp on campus, BJ Emmons has certainty looked the part. The former ESPN Top 300 player has great lateral quickness and was crisp out of his breaks in a limited practice session today. Tallahassee product Kelvin Dean (photo above) is another name to keep an eye on as he gains experience at the D1 level.
- Freshmen Connection Frequently paired together in route running drills to begin camp, QB Javion Posey and TE Rahmod Smith have shown solid chemistry. Posey was a huge target of the coaching staff during the process having flipped from Western Kentucky to FAU. The Owls are experienced at the Tight End position and will not need to rush Smith`s development.
- Quote of the day "The defense is really ready to make plays and show that we could be one of the best defenses in the country", said Senior DB Da`Von Brown.
Armani Eli-Adams discusses how he can become an immediate impact player for the Owls this season, and comments on unit chemistry.
In hopes that mother nature cooperates, the Owls will take the field again tomorrow shortly after 9:00 AM, while donning full pads for this first time this camp cycle.