Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Patrick Chun, AD Florida Atlantic University

I just read that UTSA just hired a new athletic director.  I think Pat Chun has worn out his welcome.  He came to FAU from Ohio State with a reputation for fund raising.  The guy doesn't seem to have a social bone in his body.  I have witnessed him in a room with 3 people (a room that is setup for donors) and he doesn't even do a cursory hello or head nod.  The naming rights is still not completed.  The academic center (his signature project) is in a perpetual planning phase.  Attendance this season has been abysmal under his negligent leadership.  Something is not working if you can't capitalize on the excitement and even more important the winning of the program.  If you can't get it done under theses conditions you might need to move on.

Now on the positive he has improved the APR, kept the budget in check and I am sure many other things that the general fan base and community doesn't care about.  We made a significant investment in football coaches this season and we need someone who is willing to clean house and install the proper people in each position for the rest of the department.  We need LEADERSHIP!

Dr.  Kelly last season you thought it was unacceptable the performance of the football team and you chose to make a bold move.  Look at the empty seats Saturday and please make the decision that its time to make another bold decision.  GO OWLS!
Back to the top

My guess is Chun will get to ride the wave of the Kiffin hire and the success we are now finding in football at least for a little while.  I agree that the excitement and crowds are a little short of my expectations, but being new to college football this far South in Florida I am still trying to figure it out. 

An AD should be judged on:

Financials - this includes the decisions about programs and spend, but also about the ability to recruit donors/sponsors, raise awareness about the program, and drive revenue from revenue sports (football and basketball). 

Hiring good people - finding the right leaders for all the sports programs who can grow the student athletes, keep them moving towards degrees, etc.  This includes hiring, but also making tough adjustments when necessary.  

Performance of student athletes both on and off the field - winning football covers lots of warts, but we need to be moving forward in other sports (if we suck, get competitive) and improving APRs, graduation rates, etc.  

All 3 of those need to matter - 1 can outshine for a little bit, but all need to be on an upward trajectory. 
Back to the top

Well, there goes my "Everybody Thank Chun Tonight" sign I was gonna bring to game...
Back to the top

Hoot_N_Holler said

Well, there goes my "Everybody Thank Chun Tonight" sign I was gonna bring to game…

Posted On: Nov 18th 2017, 8:09 AM #373456

Just write it in red font.  Chun isn't responsible for Kiffin.  Dr Kelly can't be pleased about athletics business operations in relation to ticket sales.  Change needs to be made.  This is blatant failure with the current success of the program.

Back to the top

They only had one bartender per bar in the Acura club tonight…cmon guys you KNEW it was going to be a big game. 

Mickey Mouse
Back to the top

teambeer said

They only had one bartender per bar in the Acura club tonight…cmon guys you KNEW it was going to be a big game. 

Mickey Mouse
Posted On: Nov 19th 2017, 12:20 AM #373553

This.  AND the Hyundai Deck has been run extremely poorly as well all season.  They need to show out for the Conference Championship game.
Back to the top

My guess is the fundraising and naming rights deal will come a lot easier now after a season like this one.  It's not easy (almost impossible, really) to raise money or attract corporate partnerships when the team is 3-9 consistently.   
Back to the top

Hard to criticize after last night. I'm out of state so I can't get to the stadium much. When I do it's usually a poor game day experience.  I remember just getting into the stadium this year at the Navy game, security at the front was so overwhelmed as we were going in they literally threw much stuff passed the metal detectors all over the floor. Concessions were also run very poorly. Was surprised the stadium was still going through all these issues 6 or so years after it opened. Sad part is the people I bring who certainly aren't big fans wouldn't want to go back given how poorly the stadium was operated. I know it's a small sample size, but still.
Back to the top

d-owl said

Hard to criticize after last night. I'm out of state so I can't get to the stadium much. When I do it's usually a poor game day experience.  I remember just getting into the stadium this year at the Navy game, security at the front was so overwhelmed as we were going in they literally threw much stuff passed the metal detectors all over the floor. Concessions were also run very poorly. Was surprised the stadium was still going through all these issues 6 or so years after it opened. Sad part is the people I bring who certainly aren't big fans wouldn't want to go back given how poorly the stadium was operated. I know it's a small sample size, but still.
Posted On: Nov 19th 2017, 8:24 AM #373560

Perfect sample size! Like you only get to come to one game a year and this year was Marshall and service was poor. Bought less beer and less food due to it - DUMB BAD MANAGEMENT!

FAU FOOTBALL STADIUM - BEAUTIFUL SMALL STADIUM BUT VERY POORLY RUN!
Back to the top

So I know it has been mentioned multiple times, but what good does it do to put a wristband on people and then not take the ticket?  I saw them turning people away trying to get up to the deck/bar area last night who didn't have tickets, but I could easily walk back down with my wristband on and hand my already used ticket to somebody else.  Hard for me to believe the crowds I see at the bar/deck all bought $60 tickets (or whatever they cost per game).  If you want them to keep their tickets for souvenirs, you could still tear off the bottom portion - but easier just to take it and no wristband means no entrance at the top of the stairs.  That doesn't change significantly how many people hang out there rather than go to their seats, but it might put a few hundred more out in the stadium and make it easier for me to get a drink!
Back to the top
Control functions: