Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Roundup of Bowl Projections 2017

sjacks78 said

St. Pete against USF would be a fun one. Would USF even want to play that game though?  
Posted On: Nov 10th 2017, 1:42 AM #372958

From a prestige standpoint, no. It'd probably be like us playing in the New Orleans Bowl.

From a ticket standpoint, probably. Just because the university makes money off of reselling tickets to their fans that they purchased from the bowl sponsors so the biggest crowd would theoretically be a home crowd.

Whether the city wants it - much like Boca with the Boca Raton Bowl - is another matter.
Back to the top

Hoot_N_Holler said

SB Nation has FAU vs USF in the Boca Raton Bowl as of 11/12/17 (post week 11, going into week 12).

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2017/11/12/16639480/bowl-projections-2017-college-football-playoff-predictions-after-week-11

Posted On: Nov 12th 2017, 10:59 AM #373201

they just don't know what they are talking about then.
Back to the top

Why is not the Boca Bowl vs. USF the best for us????

1) Vs. a Top Group of 5 team with a nationally recognized Coach.

2) NO travel expenses (profit) PLUS with all band and cheer HERE!!!! (NEVER happen for n away game).

3) Get the 2 weeks practice AT HOME as well!!!!

4) Home crowd! We worried about the Um affect but it was not that bad right? USF would NOT be as strong as UM's following!

Unless we get Independence or Belk invite, I vote BOCA!!!!!!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Why is not the Boca Bowl vs. USF the best for us????

1) Vs. a Top Group of 5 team with a nationally recognized Coach.

2) NO travel expenses (profit) PLUS with all band and cheer HERE!!!! (NEVER happen for n away game).

3) Get the 2 weeks practice AT HOME as well!!!!

4) Home crowd! We worried about the Um affect but it was not that bad right? USF would NOT be as strong as UM's following!

Unless we get Independence or Belk invite, I vote BOCA!!!!!!
Posted On: Nov 12th 2017, 6:12 PM #373235

Well the city and business owners would prefer tourists.  Also, us not playing in the Boca Bowl gives us two shots at publicity.  
Back to the top

Some truth to that, but I'm not sure USF is going to the Boca Bowl. Lots of where they go depends on the UCF game, but as a school they probably also weigh travel/expenses versus the St. Pete bowl - which pays more than Boca.  I would think it will be St. Pete if against somebody like USF, Heart of Dallas if against a big name (for somewhere between $800k and $1.1M), or if an Independence or Belk Bowl are offered we jump at that.  Playing USF would seem like a minimum of St. Pete because that pays something like $135k more per team. 
Back to the top

I don’t know if you guys remember the 07 matchup against the bulls but they brought a TON of fans, 10k in my estimation. 

How many fans did Temple bring when they played? Or WKU? I sure don’t think they travel as well as a whole crew from Tampa. I could argue that our hotels would see a lift for at least one night
Back to the top

teambeer said

I don’t know if you guys remember the 07 matchup against the bulls but they brought a TON of fans, 10k in my estimation. 

How many fans did Temple bring when they played? Or WKU? I sure don’t think they travel as well as a whole crew from Tampa. I could argue that our hotels would see a lift for at least one night
Posted On: Nov 12th 2017, 6:56 PM #373241

If I remember they were #2 in the country, big difference than a mid to lower tier bowl game against a CUSA team.

They have a terrible fan base, I have watched a few of their home games this year.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Even if they brink 10K, we will have 20K - about like the UM game actually. I am pulling for the Independence but Boca would be great too IMHO!
Back to the top

Just throwing this out there, but if FSU beats UF and UL-Monroe, they are bowl-eligible.  I would expect the Noles to get a bigger bowl because of their name and the crowd that will travel (certainly not because the football they are playing), but that means they back into one of those possible "upgrade" landing spots for a team from somewhere like CUSA.

But, for totally hypothetical reasons, if we had the choice of playing USF or FSU which would you guys choose?  Easy answer if it is FSU in an Independence or Belk Bowl because of the financials, but I am saying if it was the same bowl would you want to play a 6-6 FSU or a 9-2 USF?
Back to the top

FSU - POWER 5!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to the top
Control functions: