Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Running Thread: 2011 FAU Coaching Search update....

Re: Running Thread: FAU Coaching Search update....

Running Thread: FAU Coaching Search update....

BeastOwl said

Not everyone has quit on this team, I'll be there rooting for those guys that haven't given up.  Maybe pride, not coaching will give us a win.

+1

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

Actually I give him a plus 2! Players have to have it in THEM they need to win and are gonna win, after all, they are the ones returning next year (they hope!), IT IS THEIR TEAM!

Maybe we can learn something from Ted's live blog today starting at 11 regarding this "empty backfield" coaching situation as of Dec. 6! And the State of the University speech tonight would be A GREAT TIME to boost the program forward with an announcemet would'nt it? We all love the Coach but this has just gotten pathetic to keep going down in flames just for his sake. He is a big, STRONG man of character, he knows what is best for the program he loves!
Back to the top

One coaching job is now filled.  UNM is going to hire former Notre Dame coach and current ESPN analyst Bob Davie.  Interesting hire…he's been out of coaching a long time. 
Back to the top

Cool, not a name from our "prefered" list!
Back to the top

Come on big name big name no whammy!

FAU - We got Bowls!
Back to the top

duder said

I heard on the radio that Rich Rodriguez is sniffing around about the Arizona job….

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Silver_Bullet32 said

duder said

I heard on the radio that Rich Rodriguez is sniffing around about the Arizona job….

Also heard TUlane for Rich as well

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

I posted this in a different thread, to stay on topic, I am posting this here as well

Sources told Owl Access Angelos has talked with the following candidates about the possibility of coaching FAU next season:

•Former Texas Tech coach Mike Leach
•Former Miami coach Randy Shannon
•Former USF coach and current 49ers assistant Jim Leavitt
•Former N.C. State and former FSU assistant Chuck Amato
•Current North Alabama coach Terry Bowden
•Former Clemson coach Tommy Bowden
•Former FAU offensive coordinator and current Purdue OC Gary Nord
•FSU Associate head coach Eddie Gran

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top

Not sure if it's on purpose, but that list breaks down almost in the order of who I would hire.  You have the top tier:  Leach is obviously the top target.  I'd probably go Leavitt #2, Shannon #3, but you can make a good case for either.  Leavitt has had more success, but Shannon is the better pure recruiter.  Then you have the Bobby Bowden candidates:  Amato and his sons.  Amato is a decent name, but he is 65.  Does he want to commit to running a program again at his age?  On the plus side, he likely wouldn't be using FAU as a stepping stone.  I'd have no issue with either Bowden…although I haven't heard that Tommy is interested in returning to the sidelines.

Then you have the long shots.  Nord is a good recruiter and had success here, but wasn't successful in his first head coaching stint and I'd rather have the program go in a completely new direction.  I know nothing about Gran.  I don't like that he's never been more then a position coach.  He's supposedly a good recruiter, but he's not the name we are looking for.   The next coach needs to a draw…and at least initally, if we introduce Eddie Gran as our coach, that's not exactly going to fire up the fan base.
Back to the top

So let's place our bets.

I'm betting on Leavitt

FAU Class of '87
Back to the top
Control functions: