Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

So do we root for Troy?

Re: So do we root for Troy?

SeminOWL2006 said

owlfan1 said

SeminOWL2006 said

Also root for Minny, Michigan, and Texas.  It will make our season seem that much better if 4 of our losses were to really good, top 25 teams….1 to luck, and one just bad game.

Now lets go beat those Chip Chip Chippewas!

GO OWLS!

I will be rooting for Michigan State. I think Michigan will be at home this year.  ;D

GO OWLS!!!

Oh man I pulled a Howard!

Usually thats a good thing, See current FAU bowl invite as an example.

;D

I have come here to chew bubble gum and kick @$$ and I'm out of bubble gum.

Back to the top

owlfan1 said

dmarkey said

Family connection or not I really dont care if they win or lose. Check out their board. They aren't happy we're going bowling! Especially after we went last year and they sat at home being 8-4. Oh well! We have Howard!

GO OWLS!!!!!!!!

They aren't happy because we made a more visible bowl and we are getting a bigger payout. I still say root for any in conference rival in non-conference and bowl games. Makes the conference as a whole look good.

GO OWLS!!!

This is absolutely NOT TRUE.  No one on the Troy board has even mentioned this. This subject hasn't even been spoken about.  WE are all happy FAU made it, no one is berating you, and everyone is going to pull for FAU whether you folks believe that or not.

BTW, the payouts are based on the number of tickets you sell.  That 750K IS NOT a guarantee, it is the sum of tickets provided the participating university, times the price of the ticket.  You actually only receive the dollars for the amount of tickets sold.  Then you have to subtract the cost of sending the team, band and boosters/administration, to get the final dollar amount.
Back to the top

Navarre said

owlfan1 said

dmarkey said

Family connection or not I really dont care if they win or lose. Check out their board. They aren't happy we're going bowling! Especially after we went last year and they sat at home being 8-4. Oh well! We have Howard!

GO OWLS!!!!!!!!

They aren't happy because we made a more visible bowl and we are getting a bigger payout. I still say root for any in conference rival in non-conference and bowl games. Makes the conference as a whole look good.

GO OWLS!!!

This is absolutely NOT TRUE.  No one on the Troy board has even mentioned this. This subject hasn't even been spoken about.  WE are all happy FAU made it, no one is berating you, and everyone is going to pull for FAU whether you folks believe that or not.

BTW, the payouts are based on the number of tickets you sell.  That 750K IS NOT a guarantee, it is the sum of tickets provided the participating university, times the price of the ticket.  You actually only receive the dollars for the amount of tickets sold.  Then you have to subtract the cost of sending the team, band and boosters/administration, to get the final dollar amount.

I don't think that's right. Hawaii Bowl was possibly interested in FAU they knew FAU wouldn't bring many fans. Any place that invites FAU knows they're not going to bring many fans. In fact ESPN listed the payout amounts for the bowls. I'm sorry but I'm going to have to say you're wrong on this one. The payout for this bowl is $750K whether we bring 100 fans or 1,000 fans

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

SeminOWL2006 said

owlfan1 said

SeminOWL2006 said

Also root for Minny, Michigan, and Texas.  It will make our season seem that much better if 4 of our losses were to really good, top 25 teams….1 to luck, and one just bad game.

Now lets go beat those Chip Chip Chippewas!

GO OWLS!

I will be rooting for Michigan State. I think Michigan will be at home this year.  ;D

GO OWLS!!!

Oh man I pulled a Howard!

No harm no foul. I am sure a lot of people can't wait to see FIU play Central Michigan.  ;)

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

Navarre said

owlfan1 said

dmarkey said

GO OWLS!!!!!!!!

GO OWLS!!!

A team does not need to sell all tickets to get the payout. However the total dollar value of unsold tickets is subtracted from the payout amount. Therefore it really benefits a team to sell as many of their allotted tickets as possible.

GO OWLS!!!

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

I don't see Notre Dame bringing all of their fans to Hawaii. Yeah they may bring a lot but not 100,000 fans.

http://stories.icerocket.com/content/2008-2009-bowl-payouts-0

A list of Bowl Payouts

My two favorite teams are FAU, and who ever is beating FIU!
Back to the top

Jab979 said

Navarre said

owlfan1 said

dmarkey said

GO OWLS!!!!!!!!

GO OWLS!!!

I don't think that's right. Hawaii Bowl was possibly interested in FAU they knew FAU wouldn't bring many fans. Any place that invites FAU knows they're not going to bring many fans. In fact ESPN listed the payout amounts for the bowls. I'm sorry but I'm going to have to say you're wrong on this one. The payout for this bowl is $750K whether we bring 100 fans or 1,000 fans

I think Navarre Trojan is correct on this.  The potential payout comes from tickets sold.  We will obviously fall short and lose money on this bowl.  The exposure we receive, however, is what makes it worth our while.  Saying we went to 2 bowls in 2 years is great for recruiting, but don't expect a big pay day.

…and yes, we should root for Troy because it is good for the conference which makes it good for FAU.

Go Owls!!!
Back to the top

I just did a 20-page report on some of this stuff. From my report:
In fact, they reported that a bowl game appearances two-and-a-half times more lucrative than an NCAA men’s basketball tournament appearance. (Rhoads & Gerking, 2000)

That's in regards to the alumni donations the fiscal year following a bowl appearance. And you can't forget the Flutie Factor…

“The Flutie Factor,” named for Boston College quarterback Doug Flutie who threw a hailmary pass to upset Miami in 1984, is a term used to describe an increase in admission applications for a university after a major victory for that university’s athletic program. Boston College saw a 12-percent increase in their applications in the following year, and many credit it to the over-abundance of highlights and replays of the Flutie hailmary pass.

Other schools that have experienced the Flutie Factor include: Oregon State University, who reported a 20% increase in out-of-state applications following the 2001 Fiesta Bowl victory over Notre Dame (Mixon Jr. & Trevino, 2003) ; Miami saw a 33-percent increase in their applications for the three years directly following their national title in 1987; and Georgia Tech, even though they didn’t win the title outright, shared a national title victory in 1990 and saw a rise in their admission applications by 21 percent for three years succeeding the shared title. (Frank, 2004)

And then the report goes on to talk about bowl games being free press for the school - especially because schools get to do promotional commercials during the broadcast.

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

Navarre said

[

A team does not need to sell all tickets to get the payout. However the total dollar value of unsold tickets is subtracted from the payout amount. Therefore it really benefits a team to sell as many of their allotted tickets as possible.

GO OWLS!!!

GO OWLS!!!

This is correct. Problem is if tix don't get sold, FAU eats the cost…..

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

I just did a 20-page report on some of this stuff. From my report:
In fact, they reported that a bowl game appearances two-and-a-half times more lucrative than an NCAA men’s basketball tournament appearance. (Rhoads & Gerking, 2000)

That's in regards to the alumni donations the fiscal year following a bowl appearance. And you can't forget the Flutie Factor…

“The Flutie Factor,” named for Boston College quarterback Doug Flutie who threw a hailmary pass to upset Miami in 1984, is a term used to describe an increase in admission applications for a university after a major victory for that university’s athletic program. Boston College saw a 12-percent increase in their applications in the following year, and many credit it to the over-abundance of highlights and replays of the Flutie hailmary pass.

Other schools that have experienced the Flutie Factor include: Oregon State University, who reported a 20% increase in out-of-state applications following the 2001 Fiesta Bowl victory over Notre Dame (Mixon Jr. & Trevino, 2003) ; Miami saw a 33-percent increase in their applications for the three years directly following their national title in 1987; and Georgia Tech, even though they didn’t win the title outright, shared a national title victory in 1990 and saw a rise in their admission applications by 21 percent for three years succeeding the shared title. (Frank, 2004)

And then the report goes on to talk about bowl games being free press for the school - especially because schools get to do promotional commercials during the broadcast.

And they say football programs dont help athletics.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top
Control functions: