Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

state of the program

Re: state of the program

When I say "everyone saw this coming" I mean THIS year.  The two previous years (2009 and 2010), there was at least some hope and attempts to fix problems.  Just for some perspective(which people seem to be lacking around here), let's look at the history:

In 2007 and 2008, we win bowl games.  All is well…everyone is looking forward to 2009.  Then in 2009, we were 38th in the nation in total offense, but the D bottoms out.  Everyone calls for change and Coach fires Hoza (a move that everyone agreed was the right one).  Last year, the defense gets better, but the offense loses Rusty and all starting O-linemen and the offense bottoms out.  At this point, I agree, it starts to become fair game to wonder if bigger changes need to be made.  In spite of the 2008 Bowl win, it was our 3rd straight season of declining succuess.  In the meantime though, the stadium gets approved and ground is broken last October.  As soon as the stadium construction began, there was no doubt that Howard and the staff were safe for this year.  Howard had worked toward that stadium since he got here, had just won back-to-back bowl games less then two years earlier…it was an easy call to let him finish out the final year on his contract and give him a last chance to turn things around.  HOWEVER, at that point, it was also fairly obvious that Howard was going to step aside after this year.  As far back as the end of the 2010 season, both Howard and Angelos both said an extension wasn't being considered.  Then in August, Howard makes it official.  Again, I'm not saying to not be upset about our current state.  I'm just pointing out that it's real easy to sit here today and yell and hurl insults at coaches and other posters without looking at the whole picture of how we got to this point.

Back to my original point…Anyone with eyes could have seen we were going struggle this year.  In Spring practice, it was clear we had lost too many players on offense and the line wasn't good enough.  It's just that by the time practice starts, what are you really going to do?  You play it out and hope for the best.  I agree with you guys that it's the accumulation of too many years of bad recruiting.  Our recruiting has sucked since 2008.  No question about it.  I do give the staff a little bit of a pass on that because up until last October, they were at a severe disadvantage because of the stadium, but it also became an easy excuse for the them.
Back to the top

People are too worried about being sentimental, warm and fuzzy. And while that was happening so that HS could usher in the new stadium the program was collapsing before our eyes. I was all for HS coaching in the new stadium - but then you have to ask yourself at what cost? If FAU wants to sacrifice being competitive for sentimental reasons they shoudn't have gone to D1.
Back to the top

d-owl said

People are too worried about being sentimental, warm and fuzzy. And while that was happening so that HS could usher in the new stadium the program was collapsing before our eyes. I was all for HS coaching in the new stadium - but then you have to ask yourself at what cost? If FAU wants to sacrifice being competitive for sentimental reasons they shouldn't have gone to D1.

Sentimentality is a factor(just as it was at FSU and is at Penn State)…but the bigger factor here is MONEY.  As in, FAU doesn't have enough to pay Howard the last year of his deal AND hire another coaching staff at the same time.  That's just reality.  Plus, as I mentioned in my rant above, prior to 2010, they made a change they thought was going to help and then other problems sprang up, and by the time this off season came around, construction was already under way, and, for many reasons, it was just easier to let Howard finish his deal. 
Back to the top

d-owl said

People are too worried about being sentimental, warm and fuzzy. And while that was happening so that HS could usher in the new stadium the program was collapsing before our eyes. I was all for HS coaching in the new stadium - but then you have to ask yourself at what cost? If FAU wants to sacrifice being competitive for sentimental reasons they shoudn't have gone to D1.
POST OF THE YEAR!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Back to the top

FAU said

We are the worst team in the nation. This program is just flat out awful. I'm glad Angelos and Walty decided to keep Howard around for one more season…

When I drafted the contract I guess I put one too many years in there.  Again, we wouldn't have this board or be 0-5 or have a football team if it wasn't for HS…I am grateful for that so I defend him.

But you're right, just like FSU did we need to get rid of HS like Bowden and get the next coach in there so we can win again….oh wait, is that how that worked out for them?

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

I said this after the troy games last year. No one wanted to listen Howard just had ring the stadium now he just embarrassing himself.  Any one who has defended Howard is eating crow right now and you know who you are.

You still dont get it.  I never stated that keeping him would give us an 8-4 season….I simply said it was the right thing to do and still believe it is.  Your punk attitude isn't going to get me to change my opinion of what HS has done for us.  Unlike most of you I have character and will say and stand by my opinions.

You have to be able to handle the bad times as a fan to enjoy the good times.  There are right ways and wrong ways to handle situations and I think no matter the record this has been handled right.  

Back to the top

walty12 said

FAU said

We are the worst team in the nation. This program is just flat out awful. I'm glad Angelos and Walty decided to keep Howard around for one more season…

When I drafted the contract I guess I put one too many years in there.  Again, we wouldn't have this board or be 0-5 or have a football team if it wasn't for HS…I am grateful for that so I defend him.

But you're right, just like FSU did we need to get rid of HS like Bowden and get the next coach in there so we can win again….oh wait, is that how that worked out for them?

FSU has lost to two top ten teams  and another soon to be ranked team with a back up QB awful point.
Back to the top

walty12 said

owlcountry40 said

I said this after the troy games last year. No one wanted to listen Howard just had ring the stadium now he just embarrassing himself.  Any one who has defended Howard is eating crow right now and you know who you are.

You still dont get it.  I never stated that keeping him would give us an 8-4 season….I simply said it was the right thing to do and still believe it is.  Your punk attitude isn't going to get me to change my opinion of what HS has done for us.  Unlike most of you I have character and will say and stand by my opinions.

You have to be able to handle the bad times as a fan to enjoy the good times.  There are right ways and wrong ways to handle situations and I think no matter the record this has been handled right.
Winning is the only way to do the right thing sorry you can tell your self that it is morally better that we kept him for the extra year it is not that way anymore no matter how much want to it to. Your belief might set the program back 3 years.
Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

walty12 said

FAU said

When I drafted the contract I guess I put one too many years in there.  Again, we wouldn't have this board or be 0-5 or have a football team if it wasn't for HS…I am grateful for that so I defend him.

FSU has lost to two top ten teams  and another soon to be ranked team with a back up QB awful point.

FSU is supposed to be a top 10 team that beats those teams.  And a bad QB??? Sound familiar?

Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

walty12 said

owlcountry40 said

Winning is the only way to do the right thing sorry you can tell your self that it is morally better that we kept him for the extra year it is not that way anymore no matter how much want to it to. Your belief might set the program back 3 years.

No, its not.  Youre the kind of fan that gets Rich Rodriguez hired. 

Back to the top
Control functions: