Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Talk of Hurts to FAU

I have read this multiple times today and even heard it on ESPN radio. After last night, everyone thinks it's a given that Jalen Hurts will transfer from Bama…..and most believe FAU is the at the top of the list because of his success with Kiffin. He would be eligible after next season which would allow Driskell to play out his last season (which isn't set in stone if Washington comes back ready for camp). I think we would welcome the transfer. He might not be a great SEC QB, but he'd make a very good CUSA QB under Lane's guidance (if he's here). Even if he was beat out, a talent like that at FAU wouldn't be wasted as a back up QB. He would probably switch positions and could be a weapon in that case as well.

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

…..and Lane hinting maybe we could have had Tua….hahaha….I love this guy…..

Lane Kiffin: 'No doubt' Tua Tagovailoa would have transferred if he didn't play Monday

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Saban is about winning, so he will allow them to battle during Spring and the Fall camp and will play whoever gives him the best chance to win.  At a factory like Alabama, it is much less about what you have done for me and more about what are you going to do for me next.  If that holds true, Hurts would have to turn down an opportunity to compete and play for another possible National Championship to go somewhere and sit out his Junior year.

My expectation is that Hurts will stay where he can have more NFL eyeballs on him.  If a position move is coming, my bet is he'd choose staying and splitting carries at RB for Alabama than coming here and spitting them with Motor  :Big-Grin:
Back to the top

I don't believe for a minute that Hurts is coming here. I just took that as Alabama fans ribbing him online.
Back to the top

Come here and do what exactly?  The cupboard isn't exactly bare.  Talented guy, but his future is brighter competing in Alabama than FAU
Back to the top

We don't need a rb at qb, we have good qb's and rb's and a crop of new receivers too!
Back to the top

FWIW, Kiffin just said on Outkick with Clay Travis that he's already talked to Hurts, and that Hurts is going to meet with Saban to have a conversation about transferring. I think Hurts definitely will transfer. Daboll hasn't developed Hurts at all, and there are a lot of programs that would love to have Hurts.

I wouldn't underestimate Kiffin's relationship with the players, and he's clearly kept in contact with his former players at Bama, and having a few staff members from Bama could be some really persuasive factors in bringing Hurts to FAU.

All that to say, I'd see him transferring to a P5 school long before FAU.
Back to the top

I am a little in the dark on knowing the actual rules, but is it acceptable for a head coach to be talking to and possibly been seen as advising a player who is not on his team?  Saying stuff in the media is one thing, but if Kiffin is really speaking directly with somebody who is on scholarship at another school before they have graduated or been released from their scholarship I would think can't be an acceptable practice by the NCAA.

For comparison, would it be allowed for say Willie Taggert to come talk to Motor and advise him that transferring to FSU and sitting out a year would be best for him?

No doubt it happens, but I am not sure how good it looks for Kiffin to be saying in the media that he is talking directly to Hurts.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Guess we have some roster space now?
Posted On: Jul 19th 2018, 9:54 AM #379136
Let the Jalen Hurts rumors get started after Saban's recent quote saying he wasn't sure Hurts would be on the roster:

Alabama's Nick Saban unsure whether QB Jalen Hurts will be on roster for opener

I think it is highly unlikely he transfers now (anywhere) - might as well stay, graduate, and then transfer next season without having to sit out.
Back to the top

"Well, I have no idea. I expect him to be there," Saban said.

NOT the style of quote you expect to hear from Old Nick.

I agree, best route is to stay one more year then be free to play immediately…

If we get another year out of Kiffin, and he leaves, what says you about the odds of him landing here?
Back to the top
Control functions: