Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Texas Preview 2008

Re: Texas Preview 2008

Texas Preview 2008

fbdad said

I really must have struck a nerve with the UT fans.  There were replies such as "Aw, that's cute!" and "ROTFLMAO!".

But the best was, "They win one bowl game vs. a 6-5 team, and they think they can play with the big boys?"

No shocker there.

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

jared:
BUY THOSE TICKETS

Those are awesome prices! It's worth any extra money to fly jet blue because of the nice planes

I'm a proud lifetime member of the FAU National Alumni Association. Are you a member? Join now at www.faualumni.org.
Tradition in the Making, One Alum at a Time…
Back to the top

smittysahoot said

jared:
BUY THOSE TICKETS

Had to laugh when I read this.  I reminded me of:

IRON MY SHIRT  -  IRON MY SHIRT

I just checked Jet blue, its 129.50 including tax each way.

Like things, love people.
Back to the top

fbdad said

I live in Corpus Christi and posted this quote on my office bulletin board…

“With the continued development of our young football team, I’m convinced it is time to leave behind the idea of ‘advanced training games’ starting with Texas. I’m confident we can measure up to the level of the Longhorns.”—FAU coach Howard Schnellenberger on opening the 2008 season at Texas.

I really must have struck a nerve with the UT fans.  There were replies such as "Aw, that's cute!" and "ROTFLMAO!".

But the best was, "They win one bowl game vs. a 6-5 team, and they think they can play with the big boys?"

Uh, yeah, UCF never even won a bowl and they almost beat them. Anyway, we'll see what happens this season. I talked to some of the players today and they're all convinced they're going to do it. It's not even a "We'll see what happens" or "We'll put some points on the board" kind of thing. It's a "yes, we're going to beat Texas" kind of thing. Let's see if they can deliver. They're practicing now, in the offseason, to prepare. Not the entire team but all the big name guys – Smith, VanCamp, Harmon, Gent, Bonner, Jean… you name it.

Third string QB Carl Fick is much smaller (height and muscle-wise) than VanCamp and Smith. Those guys are like The Two Towers of Offense compared to Fick. A couple of the players said Fick is very confident and makes good decisions though so we'll see. I think if Kooi and Wilbert live up to expectation, it's going to be a tight battle for starting QB come 2010.
Back to the top

fbdad said

“With the continued development of our young football team, I’m convinced it is time to leave behind the idea of ‘advanced training games’ starting with Texas. I’m confident we can measure up to the level of the Longhorns.”—FAU coach Howard Schnellenberger on opening the 2008 season at Texas.

It's all good…I like taking them by stealth, it's what Owls do.

I remember the scores at the following games in the first half of each game:

Florida: 28-20 (FL) with 0:10 left in the half
Oklahoma State: 14-6(OSU) with 0:16 left in the half
Kentucky: 21-10(UK) with 1:28 left in the half
South Florida: well 7-7 at the half and a close game total.

respectable 1st half, for advance training. I think It was all part of the plan. Coach was saving our boys in the "advanced training" games for the Belt title (and the Bowl Game). The starters in the first half, then save them for the real goal last year. This year will be different…It's gonna be all out baby! and it will take these teams by total suprise!

-Go Owls!
Back to the top

The team has gotten better every year since the 2-9 2005 season. No reason to think the same won't happen next season. I don't think anyone really expected to beat Troy and go to the UNO Bowl. It seems like we couldn't compete at that level yet but surprises seem to happen. Remember Hawaii when we were D1AA and 4 years old.

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top

prowler said

fbdad said

It's all good…I like taking them by stealth, it's what Owls do.

I remember the scores at the following games in the first half of each game:

Florida: 28-20 (FL) with 0:10 left in the half
Oklahoma State: 14-6(OSU) with 0:16 left in the half
Kentucky: 21-10(UK) with 1:28 left in the half
South Florida: well 7-7 at the half and a close game total.

respectable 1st half, for advance training. I think It was all part of the plan. Coach was saving our boys in the "advanced training" games for the Belt title (and the Bowl Game). The starters in the first half, then save them for the real goal last year. This year will be different…It's gonna be all out baby! and it will take these teams by total suprise!

-Go Owls!

Not to rain on the parade, but unfortunately the 1st half means very little when the final score is a 4 touchdown margin (aside from USF of course).

I think the Texas game will open some eyes and FAU will be competetive for 4 quarters although a win is a very difficult task. I feel a lot better about Michigan State than Texas.

GO OWLS!!!

2017 and 2019 Conference USA Champions
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

I think the Texas game will open some eyes and FAU will be competetive for 4 quarters although a win is a very difficult task. I feel a lot better about Michigan State than Texas.

You and me both but I'm going to remain hopeful anyway.
Back to the top

owlcountry said

owlfan1 said

You and me both but I'm going to remain hopeful anyway.

So do I, I feel like that is the game that everybody needs to try and travel to.  East Lansing in September will be a crazy time.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

owlfan1 said

Not to rain on the parade, but unfortunately the 1st half means very little when the final score is a 4 touchdown margin (aside from USF of course).

It means everything when all your starters are sitting on the bench for the second half…and your depth is nothing but underclassmen. This year will be different.

-Go Owls!

Back to the top
Control functions: