Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The Way Too Early Look at 2019 Thread

JakeElman said

JakeElman said

I expected him to be here before fall camp starts early August, I still do. Joe Lewis is TBD on when he will be here but he is still planning on coming; his absence is for personal reasons, I’ll leave it at that…Taz Nicholson was waiting on transcripts/academics last I spoke to him…Jeremiah Ashe will be here I think early July, he was finishing a class. 

If my math is right (big IF) 11 of the players who signed either on NSD or ESP are part of this 19. Add in the six scholarship guys from last month (not counting Calvin Ashley) and Toombs/Howard who arrived early and you’re at 19. Which is fine? FAU also lost Bryant and Epson to the portal.

TL;DR: You got a good amount of guys who I think can make impacts this year - Dean, McCammon, Deante Nelson. We need to see what happens with Cook and Nicholson. 
Posted On: Jun 24th 2019, 8:23 PM #386928

One last post from me for now. Caliph Brice. So you’re at 20 as of now not counting Bryant and Epson. 21 if you want to count Calvin Ashley because he’s expected to get a waiver and play immediately. 
Posted On: Jun 25th 2019, 4:18 PM #386948

Two things:
(1) I love that you post on here Jake.
(2) I feel like 21 out of 33 is a pretty poor conversion rate for just getting the kids on campus. Thoughts?

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

NJOWL said

JakeElman said

JakeElman said

I expected him to be here before fall camp starts early August, I still do. Joe Lewis is TBD on when he will be here but he is still planning on coming; his absence is for personal reasons, I’ll leave it at that…Taz Nicholson was waiting on transcripts/academics last I spoke to him…Jeremiah Ashe will be here I think early July, he was finishing a class. 

If my math is right (big IF) 11 of the players who signed either on NSD or ESP are part of this 19. Add in the six scholarship guys from last month (not counting Calvin Ashley) and Toombs/Howard who arrived early and you’re at 19. Which is fine? FAU also lost Bryant and Epson to the portal.

TL;DR: You got a good amount of guys who I think can make impacts this year - Dean, McCammon, Deante Nelson. We need to see what happens with Cook and Nicholson. 
Posted On: Jun 24th 2019, 8:23 PM #386928

One last post from me for now. Caliph Brice. So you’re at 20 as of now not counting Bryant and Epson. 21 if you want to count Calvin Ashley because he’s expected to get a waiver and play immediately. 
Posted On: Jun 25th 2019, 4:18 PM #386948

Two things:
(1) I love that you post on here Jake.
(2) I feel like 21 out of 33 is a pretty poor conversion rate for just getting the kids on campus. Thoughts?

Posted On: Jun 25th 2019, 7:15 PM #386949

I’m here until an admin (or Lane Kiffin) makes me change my picture from the dogs. 🤣

Off numbers alone 64 percent isn’t great. Part of it, though, is who you’re getting and what these guys become. If Larry McCammon, Deante Nelson, and Kelvin Dean all become serious impact players within a year or two, we’ll probably look at the class more favorably than if they brought in 75 percent but a good amount of guys were backups or solely special teamers or transferred after a year. 

I think really it’s 21 of 31 because James Meeks is grayshirting and Joe Lewis would’ve been here in May if some personal issues didn’t pop up. Add Bryant and Epson at least showing up and you’re at 21 of a possible 29/31 depending on your POV. 

I guess it comes down to, which is better: five guys showing up but only three are seeing snaps with at least the second-team offense by year two or three, or three guys show up and two are impact guys?

Recruiting is weird like that, especially in football.

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

It’s  hard for me to understand why so many guys can’t make grades. I thought I heard that the Schmidt center will have tutors also. There’s got to be a way to get more qualify. It seems like all our best recruits are like 50/50 at best. While it is promising to have guys here like Deante Nelson and Eyan Cole, and it certainly shows they must have a great head on their shoulders for making it here, I was psyched when We got Wynn. Now he might be here in January? Yikes that’s what came to mind was we’ve been here before. And I forgot Toombs. Hopefully he’ll make it
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

It’s  hard for me to understand why so many guys can’t make grades. I thought I heard that the Schmidt center will have tutors also. There’s got to be a way to get more qualify. It seems like all our best recruits are like 50/50 at best. While it is promising to have guys here like Deante Nelson and Eyan Cole, and it certainly shows they must have a great head on their shoulders for making it here, I was psyched when We got Wynn. Now he might be here in January? Yikes that’s what came to mind was we’ve been here before. And I forgot Toombs. Hopefully he’ll make it
Posted On: Jun 25th 2019, 10:36 PM #386951

Once s prospect signs his NLI, what can FAU do to help ensure they qualify? Can they recommend tutors or assist in any way at all? Don't know, just asking but sure seems in the programs best interest to do so if allowed. I do realize sometimes we are able t get a kid that the BigBoys have basically given up on recruiting just because of grades or injuries so we sometimes take more risks due to this!
Back to the top

Toombs got here in January with Diamante Howard, Emmons, and Adrian Bryant. He’s currently in the top 5 of best hair on the team. 

I think there’s almost a trade-off, now. Madden has the overall ratings for players, right? Do you want the guy who will be an 82 when you know he’s a “safer” pick and he’ll be on campus in January or early May because he has no grade issues, or do you want the 86 who still has a ton of academic work to do? When you only have 25 spots, you might have to ask those questions especially in years you lose a lot of seniors. 

Back to the top

Toombs May have a top 5 haircut but he has an incredible name for a safety. Imagine what play by play guys will call him when he makes a big hit. He already had the best name on the team. Back on topic. Kiffin is the master of having tricks up his sleeve and picking up great players at the end of the day. Something tells me we’re in the running for a lot of disenchanted P5 receivers who may not get the starting nod and enter the ports in August
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

Toombs May have a top 5 haircut but he has an incredible name for a safety. Imagine what play by play guys will call him when he makes a big hit. He already had the best name on the team. Back on topic. Kiffin is the master of having tricks up his sleeve and picking up great players at the end of the day. Something tells me we’re in the running for a lot of disenchanted P5 receivers who may not get the starting nod and enter the ports in August
Posted On: Jun 26th 2019, 11:09 AM #386954

I hope so, we need help!
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

FAU also benefits from the Sport MBA program and how many grad students have gone into that upon transferring here. Diaz, Riles, Taleni, JF3, Peavey. If you decide this summer you want to play your final year(s) of college where you can work on your master’s, that program has shown it helps attract kids. 

I think what we saw the last two years with guys like Franklin and Peavey is going to become more common. Guys in their final year of eligibility will get to camp, realize their best chances may come elsewhere, and transfer early in camp without spending weeks or months in the portal. 

Back to the top

jgf2017 said

You're not going to ass anyone of value that wants to transfer in August. Maybe a walk on grad transfer, but there are not really any impact players in the portal.
Back to the top

Is Tahveon Nicholson going to JUCO?

Back to the top
Control functions: