Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The Way Too Early Look at 2019 Thread

GeorgiaOwl said

All the questions being raised are valid to me.

MY question is has our young 2nd year OC learned and improved. My concern was and still is until shown otherwise this year, the AWFUL 2nd half drop off on the O side of the ball, especially in HOME games.

Was this just a fluke, an anomaly, a coincidence? Or was/is this a real problem, being outcoached in the 2nd halves of games, meaning better half time adjustments, better half time motivation, not keeping the pedal to the metal to put teams away?

That was worse than the D falling off a lot last year, which WAS at least partly due to these 2nd half failures on the O.

I tell ya guys, I am gonna really HATE seeing the FSU O explode this year under Briles if ours struggles to put up points again. I know we did not drop off that far in yards, but POINTS are all that matters. Ya gotta finish the drives.

Here's to praying that Coach K's boy genius OC improves as much as some of the players do! Go Owls!!!!
Posted On: Jul 15th 2019, 7:14 AM #387231

The second-half issues become more interesting, at least to me, when I think about all the times players admitted to getting complacent in the third quarter when they saw the scoreboard. It’s worth noting a few of the guys that openly acknowledged it aren’t with the program anymore for one reason or another. I’m not saying getting complacent is why they went 1-4 in one score games, but guys mentioned it after MTSU and you flip that game and you’re 6-6 with a good shot at making a bowl game because Lane sells. 

This from Robison a couple days after MTSU:

“We look at the scoreboard and we start to be like, ‘OK, we got them,’ and then our playing goes down. We just got to learn how to not do that and play throughout the whole game.”

If you can correct that this season, that’ll be huge. You shouldn’t have to need to correct it - and no, Weis Jr. and Pecoraro are not to blame; there’s not one specific person at fault here - but clearly it’s something that bothered them last year. And I do think you have to ask, up 21-10 at halftime against Charlotte at home, was that a problem again? I’ll take off my tinfoil hat here. 

Source: Florida Atlantic players admit taking “foot off the gas” after glancing at scoreboard in recent losses | FAU Focus

(Ignore weird format, the format changed when we stopped using the blog for some reason)

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

Just bought my plane tickets for the games. Now there's nothing between me and 01AUG (regarding FAU Football, I have a life or whatever). There's suddenly an extra weight of boredom.
Back to the top

Art Vandelay said

Just bought my plane tickets for the games. Now there's nothing between me and 01AUG (regarding FAU Football, I have a life or whatever). There's suddenly an extra weight of boredom.
Posted On: Jul 17th 2019, 7:52 PM #387259

Just booked our flights and hotel for the UCF game. Cant wait to be back in Boca. St. Louis is awful this time of year.
Back to the top

outofstateowl said

Art Vandelay said

Posted On: Jul 17th 2019, 7:52 PM #387259

Just booked our flights and hotel for the UCF game. Cant wait to be back in Boca. St. Louis is awful this time of year.
Posted On: Jul 17th 2019, 8:13 PM #387260

My plane ticket has been purchased since June and I just got my tickets from Hoot N Holler (Michael) yesterday!  Can't wait for the games!!!
Back to the top
Control functions: