Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The Way Too Early Look at 2019 Thread

Bowl projections?

That's truly LOL material in February…how desperate for clicks are they?

Back to the top

owlsdad said

Speaking of way too early, here are some bowl projections.  I obviously don't pay too much attention to the teams (this does NOT have FAU making a bowl), but I did find it interesting that the Boca Bowl now doesn't have a tie-in with CUSA.

College Football Bowl Projections for the 2019 Season - Stadium

Posted On: Feb 22nd 2019, 8:12 AM #385287

They alternate every few years, so I think C-USA will get the direct tie-in again probably next year. Maybe 2021 at the latest. But stuff always changes with these bowls - it was supposed to be CUSA/AAC in 2017 and it looked like Temple would play FAU, but obviously that instead became Akron - so we'll see what happens come December.

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

Just looking through the roster. I didn't see Junior Diaz. Was that the answer to his getting another year? or an over-sight? Also wondering how those last few coaching changes will look. Whoever posted those construction photos, thanks for the up-dates.
Back to the top

Art Vandelay said

Just looking through the roster. I didn't see Junior Diaz. Was that the answer to his getting another year? or an over-sight? Also wondering how those last few coaching changes will look. Whoever posted those construction photos, thanks for the up-dates.
Posted On: Mar 1st 2019, 8:46 PM #385380

We will hear something soon on him and Ray Ellis, especially with less than three weeks until spring camp. Everything I've heard is both look like they're going to happen, but FAU and Tulane need to work together on Junior's as opposed to Ray's, where it's just FAU making a case to the NCAA. It's entirely possible both are either finalized or close to being finalized, FAU just hasn't announced it yet.

If NCAA does say no on Junior, which I don't see happening but is obviously always an option, I would think Tarrick Thomas or Zack Bennett is your guy at center. Maybe they slide someone over?

Back to the top

The thing I have my eye on is whether UCF will be ranked when they come down here week 2. Their first game is at home against FAMU. So that's obviously an easy win, but I'm worried they won't be ranked. In what I guess are meaningless polls most of the way too early preseason polls have UCF either barely in the top 25 or not even in it. It will be really close to see if they come down here ranked. I'm not sure we've ever hosted a ranked team, I don't think we have. Also, obviously it's looking like a much more winnable game with what happened to Milton
Back to the top

Back to the top

First National publication I have seen of Owls 2019 expectations is out, SB Nation;

FAU football preview 2019: Lane Kiffin’s team is a crapshoot - SBNation.com

Real good stuff but quite honest as well!

Back to the top

On the positive side, the projections actually show the Owls could be favored in 10 games and the writer is going with 8 wins.  On the realistic side, the article is basically saying who knows based on last year and the loss of key guys like Motor, Whyte, Durante, and 1/2 the 2-deep on D.
Back to the top

Spring camp starts tomorrow, so some extra early notes/things to watch/etc. I just tweeted some of this out and others are in the spring advance I posted.

* We're waiting on an official roster and coaching staff. Some of the names missing from the online roster might be in camp, others might not be. What matters is who's in a helmet and jersey tomorrow. I always go back to former lineman Bryan Beck: he was on the roster last spring but wasn't practicing. Some of that stuff is compliance-related. I have a list of who's missing from online and if I don't see them out there tomorrow but they're on the official roster, that's interesting.

* Lane Kiffin is talking to media tomorrow and Saturday. He's only expected to talk after Saturday practices this spring. Just worth pointing out.

* QB battle is expected to be between Robison, Tronti, and Littlejohn. It's only spring practice so I'm not expecting any to look like Tom Brady out there and clinch the starting job, but I'm excited to see Tronti and Littlejohn finally get meaningful reps. This is the first time Kiffin's really had three legitimate QB options in a spring (nothing against Steven Frank, but spring '17 was always between Driskel and Johnson with Parr out).

* I genuinely don't know how many, if any, position battles will be decided or close to being decided by the spring, especially with how many kids are coming in this summer. But if someone impresses at the open offensive tackle spot the way BJ Etienne did at LG last spring, we might know what FAU's starting OL will look like by the end of April. I'm interested to see how many jobs are truly open on the defense. Does Kiki Leroy replace Azeez? Who starts at the CB spot opposite James Pierre? All it takes for someone is a fantastic spring to close in on not only a starting job, but more reps.

* My plan, at least at the start of camp, is to have Twitter threads with observations and such. I think that's the best way to say "Willie Wright had a tremendous catch" or "Noah Jefferson just made a great play to stop the running back behind the line. He's really impressed me so far." If you're not following met yet (shameless plug), @JakeElman on Twitter. I'll pin each thread each day so you can ignore my tweets about the Yankees.

I'll be at every practicing barring something insane. Hoping for a good spring and not too many rainy days - or days of practice after Yankees losses.

Back to the top

I’m pretty shocked and upset to read in an article from last week that apparently Cameron Wynn didn’t qualify academically (among others). It says Wynn might be here in January. Wasn’t this guy the highest rated in our class we just can’t catch a break. Without the promising Wynn, it just looks like another year of not so good receivers
Back to the top
Control functions: