Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The Way Too Early Look at 2019 Thread

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

Art Vandelay said

Maybe I missed it, but did Cook make it to Campus? Or is this an August 1st kind of question?
Posted On: Jul 11th 2019, 12:50 PM #387187

From what I know, Glover Cook, Xavier Roberts, and Jeremiah Ashe have qualified and will be here for camp.

Posted On: Jul 11th 2019, 1:33 PM #387189

I can second this. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

Odds talk. there was a second website but I've lost it. This stuff is mostly meaningless anyway.

C-USA Deemed the Tightest Title Race in the Country; FAU Has the Best Odds, But North Texas & FIU Close Behind | SBD

Back to the top

teambeer said

Shane, since we're a few weeks out from August 1 but a bunch of us are itching, lets talk WRs…seen some news lately that we have a few transfers.

Bama WR Chris Herring - know anything about him or will he just be adding depth? I can't really find anything on his HS stats, doesn't look like he played at Bama.
USF transfer - is he gonna play DB or WR?
Lewis from UCF- another slot guy?

WR is one of those positions where freshman can contribute, just look at the national championship game, who should we keep an eye on to break into the starting rotation by the end of camp?
Posted On: Jul 11th 2019, 3:17 PM #387191

A  couple of these WR"s coming are just coming to be bodies on scout team etc.

Herring does was at Bama for 3 years and does not have a recorded special teams play. Think how many times Bama is up 50-0 and he did not run down on a kick.

Rahsaan Lewis played DB as true freshmen, but switched to WR for UCF and had a nice spring game. I do not expect much this year though.

Deangelo Antonie is playing WR ( I do not know why he is a DB on the roster). I would expect him to quickly become a contributor on offense and the return game.  
Back to the top

Shane, what do you know about the local walk-on Dane Stratton, can he contribute? Seems like with so many openings we only need a couple of these guys to step up and even be just decent move the chains type of receivers - that would help the D too!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Shane, what do you know about the local walk-on Dane Stratton, can he contribute? Seems like with so many openings we only need a couple of these guys to step up and even be just decent move the chains type of receivers - that would help the D too!
Posted On: Jul 12th 2019, 6:01 AM #387196

The only freshmen at WR that might contribute this year is Deante Nelson(this is just a guess by me based on their talent level now), but they still need to figure out his position along with Roman Mungin.

I expect many guys to be way ahead of walk-ons.

You have to think a team uses 85 scholarships and has about another 30-35 walk-ons on the roster, yet only 3-5 walk-ons truly contribute.

If you take 10-15 walks on players a year you hope 3 can help your football team.

Back to the top

I just want to add a player like Jordan Merrell ( I know Jake agrees) taking the next step is what will truly help our WR core.

He had a nice spring and was highly recruited coming out, so I think we will seem him contribute this year.
Back to the top

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

I just want to add a player like Jordan Merrell ( I know Jake agrees) taking the next step is what will truly help our WR core.

He had a nice spring and was highly recruited coming out, so I think we will seem him contribute this year.
Posted On: Jul 12th 2019, 9:19 AM #387199

He impressed me this spring. He’s the No. 2 slot right now - Dante Cousart was limited this spring coming back from the broken leg but he should be good to go when camp opens - but it was good to see JM take a step forward. 

I like Stratton, FWIW. Not saying he’ll contribute a ton this year but that was a good local pickup. He’s got good hands and hey, maybe he’s a name to know for 2020 and beyond. It’s just hard to look at a true freshman walk on that’s not a kicker or punter and know how much of a chance they have at seeing field that first year. Although the revised redshirt rule helps give more guys opportunities. 

Twitter: @JakeElman97
Back to the top

But what about Eyan Cole and his brother. I thought he was going to be a contributor. But just as with so many guys; including Wynn who may be here in January. I wonder if anything new is out there on that front. It’s upsetting Wynn won’t be here and Cole it seems for some reason isn’t getting starter reps
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

But what about Eyan Cole and his brother. I thought he was going to be a contributor. But just as with so many guys; including Wynn who may be here in January. I wonder if anything new is out there on that front. It’s upsetting Wynn won’t be here and Cole it seems for some reason isn’t getting starter reps
Posted On: Jul 12th 2019, 11:27 AM #387201

Eyon Cole doesn’t have a brother on the team and has been here 3  weeks like most freshmen. What are you taking about not getting “starter reps?” He has not been a part of a single sanctioned practice. 

No one knows if Wynn will be here in January or August.
Joe Lewis and James Meeks are enrolling in January.

Our starting WR’s core will be Mitchell, Harrison and Wright. If (big if) stay healthy they group is good enough to win in C-USA when you factor Bryant and Raine as well. 

It’s extremely rare to see true freshman receivers make an impact as its a one of more difficult positions to transition to. Cole came from a running offense and only had 18 catches his senior year. It’s a major transition to go what we run from a team that ran a Wing-T.

Guys who play early are guys who have elite athletic ability and a team can use the player in some simple packages. It really comes down to who learns the playbook fastest. Some guys it takes them a year to really adjust to college and start to make an impact on the field. It’s impossible to predict what freshmen will play. 
We can not depend on any of them to win for us this year. If a few emerge early it is a bonus. 
Back to the top

Well hopefully these guys that are looking good can make a contribution. I recall Mitchell having trouble staying healthy. Him Pico and Willie sounds like it isn’t as good as last years and no one could get open with Robison having all day to throw and I mean all day he got amazing pass protection. It was shocking that with that much time no one could get open. One thing that was crazy was that last year Willie starting running a lot of medium to deep routes not too deep but the last half of the season they had him running routes that slot guys don’t run. Maybe that was because they were trying anything they could to get some sort of production out of the WR’s. I really think that we’ve become known as a running school. We got how many great looking running backs but the WR class without Wynn (who knows if he ever plays) really isn’t looking that good
Back to the top
Control functions: