Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

The Way Too Early Look at 2019 Thread

We could also use one of the talented running backs out wide as well to create matchup problems 
Back to the top

To the guys that know positions and depth…can we realistically believe we can beat UCF?

I’m a homer so Im always going in thinking we’re going to win but with the recent news how do we honestly think this game will play out?

Can we match up with these guys and last 4 quarters?  This is not P5 but they are getting close, is depth a big issue like all p5 teams?

I have been reading all the previews and they are all high on UCF, I was hoping we were getting them at home with a drop off and the recent qb issue.  Am I kidding myself?  

No mater what on game day I’m going in saying we’re going to win this one but want to hear what you guys think.

BTW, I know the Buckeyes are going to keep lol us that irrelevant.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I think we’re going to get hammered personally. What to me was just about hopeless turned into a glimmer of hope with the news that The 2nd qb got hurt too. Perhaps we have a shot now that the qbs got hurt but I just don’t see the power shift happening this year. There are serious concerns with the receiver corps which could make it really hard for us to move the ball. We lose by 17
Back to the top

The UCF game could very likely mirror last year's UCF game (and a loss by 17 wouldn't be far off). But our QB (I'm assuming here it's Robison) and kicker won't be freshmen anymore. Improvement there (for the QB I mean decision-making, not receiver-play, which, I dunno, we'll see…) could mean a lot. I'll reserve setting my hope-o-meter until news from camp comes out.
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

To the guys that know positions and depth…can we realistically believe we can beat UCF?

I’m a homer so Im always going in thinking we’re going to win but with the recent news how do we honestly think this game will play out?

Can we match up with these guys and last 4 quarters?  This is not P5 but they are getting close, is depth a big issue like all p5 teams?

I have been reading all the previews and they are all high on UCF, I was hoping we were getting them at home with a drop off and the recent qb issue.  Am I kidding myself?  

No mater what on game day I’m going in saying we’re going to win this one but want to hear what you guys think.

BTW, I know the Buckeyes are going to keep lol us that irrelevant.

Posted On: Jul 13th 2019, 12:08 AM #387207

I obviously want to see how some things develop in camp first, but we can absolutely 100 percent beat UCF.  I do not want to harp on last years game too much as G5 teams tend to change a lot year to year, but it was not men vs boys or depth issues last year.

We lost by 3 scores because we had three turnovers and they had 0. Pretty basic football math.

We ran for 326 yards in a game we were not a threat passing.

Before last years game, I did an average of what UCF's and FAU's 247 composites per player average over 4 years and they were only like a point ahead of us. They have more talent, but it's not close to the same jump compared to if we were playing Miami.

UCF's true separation was Milton who is an all-time great college QB. There were 4-5 plays in the game where we had it defended perfectly and he made plays that continued drives.

Brandon Wimbush is a big inaccurate passer(had 49% completion percentage) who does not throw as good on the run.  UCF fans say the system is more QB friendly, but Wimbush can not sniff how great Milton is.

UCF was also not as good on the road last year.

Back to the top

I agree with Shane 100%. Last year's game was totally different.  The bigges being Milton vs Robison. The key to this season will not be our wr's. It will be Robison's head. The game needs to slow down in his head. Once it does he will make correct  decisions. I think  this is going to be a breakout season for him. His age, experience,  and talent  are ready. I also think fau fans will see a very different  style of offense.  No more 50-50 run pass. And iur new old school dc will gave our d running and hitting . Instead of thinking, running, thinking more, then hitting.  Our d will win a game or two this season. Two years ago I though OC 40 was crazy. Today I almost always agree with Shane's analysis.  I'm glad OC 40 has left, and Shane is here.
Back to the top

We’ll see. I don’t like our chances but of course I’ll be at the game supporting. We have too many question marks going in and honestly, I don’t know if Robison will beat out Tronti in the fall. Yes he is more talented but Tronti seems to possess a little bit of Driskel juice in that he seems to be a very smart game manager who is more athletic than Driskel was which seems to be what makes the Lane Train go at full speed. Not sure if he is ready to take control of the O a lot will depend on how well Robison can lead the guys this fall camp but you have to think there’s not a lot of confidence in him right now from his teammates.

I think we start 2-2 in non conference beating Ball State and Wagner though beating UCF would be huge for us as we trend to be the best G5 team in the state. The D will be much better this season and be better coached so I expect them to really impress get back to creating turnovers  The conference slate seems to be a little easier this year with MTSU, ODU, WKU and Charlotte looking like they will slip a little due to heavy losses in talent. We seem to have FIU’s number but this could be championship year for them. I think we split the games against them and Marshall and split the games against the two West foes. I think we get back to a bowl game at 8-4 or 7-5 but Marshall will end up winning the division. Probably Bahamas or Hawaii Bowl for us
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

Well hopefully these guys that are looking good can make a contribution. I recall Mitchell having trouble staying healthy. Him Pico and Willie sounds like it isn’t as good as last years and no one could get open with Robison having all day to throw and I mean all day he got amazing pass protection. It was shocking that with that much time no one could get open. One thing that was crazy was that last year Willie starting running a lot of medium to deep routes not too deep but the last half of the season they had him running routes that slot guys don’t run. Maybe that was because they were trying anything they could to get some sort of production out of the WR’s. I really think that we’ve become known as a running school. We got how many great looking running backs but the WR class without Wynn (who knows if he ever plays) really isn’t looking that good
Posted On: Jul 12th 2019, 6:17 PM #387205

I’d love to see us use Willie the same way we used Lucky Whitehead a few years ago. Tunnel screens and outside screens galore!
Back to the top

LawOwl said

We’ll see. I don’t like our chances but of course I’ll be at the game supporting. We have too many question marks going in and honestly, I don’t know if Robison will beat out Tronti in the fall. Yes he is more talented but Tronti seems to possess a little bit of Driskel juice in that he seems to be a very smart game manager who is more athletic than Driskel was which seems to be what makes the Lane Train go at full speed. Not sure if he is ready to take control of the O a lot will depend on how well Robison can lead the guys this fall camp but you have to think there’s not a lot of confidence in him right now from his teammates.

On paper this team will need a game manager at QB as you said, and Robison showed me nothing last year to make me think he can be an effective one. Things can change and maybe his third or so chance to get himself right will be the charm for Robison. I'm just not optimistic about that.
Back to the top

I think we know what we have. Robison is a guy that will light it up if he has receivers. But he doesn’t have anything close to a respectable receiving core. I’m talking even worse than last year with no Kyle Davis, no Cameron Wynn, and a heck of a lot of the same faces as last year. You have to hand the reins to Tronti Imo. You can’t let Robison be the qb with such awful receivers. It’ll be a repeat of last year.
Also, it might not be a sexy thing to talk about, but our OL is coming off of a terrible year last year. Our Center is below average and isn’t strong enough to bully anyone like Woods did in 2017. Yes it’s not the fun thing to talk about, but it’s going to be very hard to dominate with a bad Center that isn’t strong enough. It’s not 2017. And I’m not sure that Robison is more talented than Tronti. He was Mr. Florida which shows he must possess a lot of talent. Besides a better arm presumably
Back to the top
Control functions: