Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Thoughts on tickets for FAU vs. OU Game

jgf2017 said

I'm not dismissing OU. But they haven't won a NC since 2000. Out of all of the "elite" programs, they're the one I want to play if we have too. I'd have much less confidence about our chances if we were playing at OSU or Alabama. Those are programs that are a level above OU. They're not good enough to win a NC. 
Theres an inferiority complex some here have that it's like we don't even belong on the same field as Oklahoma. That we're still the program that was down for so long. We're not. We have a 10 game winning streak, I don't even think we've trailed in any of the past 7 games or something like that. I'm treating this like we're a big time program and they're not Bama 
Posted On: Aug 13th 2018, 3:28 PM #379380

Love the enthusiasm, but OU is on a totally different level. Let's act like who we are - a mid-major program that's had four winning seasons in the last 14 years, and is finally good enough to dominate a relatively weak G5 conference. CUSA has historically been a weak conference compared to MWC, AAC, and even the MAC. In fact, the last couple years, the Fun Belt has even been considered a stronger conference. Acting like we're big time program with a winning history and long tradition of excellence and championships is unrealistic, and takes away from the fun of who we are - a scrappy little program that's working to knock off some of the big programs, and regularly win in our own conference for the first time. As an alum of both FAU and Bama, I can say for a fact that FAU is far more exciting than the greatest school in college football history, and I have way more fun at FAU games and forums. Don't diminish what we're doing now by pretending we're something that we're not.
Back to the top

I think that Peavey getting first team reps may bring out the best in De’Andre and Robison for sure.  I see him as a game manager like Driskell, and who knows he may even have a better arm.  Peavey and De’Andre will start, one Qb will be the decoy and the real starter will get into the game somehow.  Similar to last year, when Parr had flashes, but Driskell showed that he was way ahead of the curve to start.  I think once De’Andre has more arm strength he will be the starter, his mobility will stretch defenses. That will take a lot of pressure off from Singletary to produce since teams will be sending their best guys at him.  For me losing Briles was difficult because of his upside.  With Briles being at FAU it probably put the pressure on Kiffin as well bringing the best out of himself. If Kiffin did bad he was probably   the next coach in waiting. I have a friend that went to USC and he told me Kiffin calling plays as head coach was not good.  Kiffin needs to stick to coaching the team which he is good at.  If Weiss Jr.  is a savant, and got this job at an early age, let him be  creative with the offense.  As for talent we may not be OU getting the best of the best, but we have pieces that are ranked within the best.  You can have the best talent in the world, but if you can’t coach up that talent it will be wasted.  My point is FAU has heart; 13 years ago this is a 70-0 bodybag game win for OU. We have had glimpses of giving Power 5 teams trouble in small spurts (KU ’05, Minn. ‘07, USF ‘07 UF ‘15,UM ’16, Wisconsin ‘17), we need it all to come together in 4 quarters of a game.  These players believe in Kiffin, and with the successes of last year believe that they can compete and belong.  In order to win a game of this magnitude you first need to believe you can win,  then execute, have heart & will, and maybe a bit of luck on your side.  I like the challenge of this game, but scheduling lower level Power 5 teams should’ve been our strategy, but money talks and maybe the payouts were too low.  You have to do the unthinkable to get respect nowadays.  We can’t keep thinking negatively as fans.   Sure we have been down for a long time, but everything is coming together finally.  We should’ve been further along the process and been this good years before, but somethings come later than sooner.  All you can do is compete and anything can happen.  Look at teams like Troy , Houston and Boise St., all were laughing stocks until they got that signature win.  Troy is in the Sun- Belt and still beat LSU on the road last year.   They are proofe that these games are winnable. We are better now, and lets see how far the rabbit hole goes.
Back to the top

Last year OOC:
Navy
Wisconsin
BC
Buffalo

This year OOC:
Oklahoma
Air Force
BC
UCF

I like this year's slate a whole lot better, especially if FAU wants to get considered for higher-tier bowl games.  I am not going crazy and predicting a NY6 game, but if FAU plays OU well and pushes - or even beats - UCF that is top-25 competition and will get you votes for rankings and possibly bigger paydays for bowl games.

Remember 2017 had a 1-3 start, so even a 2-2 start against a better schedule when the team is already on people's radars will be good for the program.  Playing USF and UCF makes a lot of sense - I don't know if playing other mid-majors is great for the program unless the team can't compete and goes back to what you guys call "body bag" games.  I could see replacing BC with another mid-major (play the Sun Belt or other G5 school to have a data point in head-to-head).  But for financials and for media coverage/attention playing at least 1 highly-ranked team makses sense to me.

One thing I do agree on is that the players and coaches have to believe they can compete.  What any of us in the stands or on a message board think carries no weight what-so-ever.  I think there are a bunch of guys on this squad who are excited to be on as big a stage as possible.
Back to the top

The skill level of our kids has risen greatly. For me, I'm old school, what's most important is our O-line and D-lines can no longer be beaten on a regular basis. Our big boys are now able to play with anyone. That makes a huge difference.
Back to the top

owlsdad said

Last year OOC:
Navy
Wisconsin
BC
Buffalo

This year OOC:
Oklahoma
Air Force
BC
UCF

I like this year's slate a whole lot better, especially if FAU wants to get considered for higher-tier bowl games.  I am not going crazy and predicting a NY6 game, but if FAU plays OK well and pushes - or even beats - UCF that is top-25 competition and will get you votes for rankings and possibly bigger paydays for bowl games.

Remember 2017 had a 1-3 start, so even a 2-2 start against a better schedule when the team is already on people's radars will be good for the program.  Playing USF and UCF makes a lot of sense - I don't know if playing other mid-majors is great for the program unless the team can't compete and goes back to what you guys call "body bag" games.  I could see replacing BC with another mid-major (play the Sun Belt or other G5 school to have a data point in head-to-head).  But for financials and for media coverage/attention playing at least 1 highly-ranked team makses sense to me.

One thing I do agree on is that the players and coaches have to believe they can compete.  What any of us in the stands or on a message board think carries no weight what-so-ever.  I think there are a bunch of guys on this squad who are excited to be on as big a stage as possible.

Posted On: Aug 14th 2018, 12:37 PM #379395

I'd agree with this - we have a chance to make the OU game interesting, and we have a chance to beat UCF. So yeah, I'd see us being 2-2, with a chance of being 3-1 by the time conference play opens up.
Back to the top

Look at this great discussion I was missing out on while at work today!

Don't even know where to start.

*We have good players because Partridge did a great job of recruiting.  Kiffin has added his own and coached all of them at a higher level.  This causes greater achievements with the same people.

*We've learned how to win - the practice, the preparation, the competition, the desire not to lose, etc.  This is done by coaching and causes greater achievements with the same people.  Our players now believe they are winners.

*As a G5 team, if we are to beat a P5 team the best time to do that is the beginning of the season when the opposing team hasn't quite hit their stride.  Why would OU schedule us in the first place?  Why is UF playing Charleston Southern, etc.  For a big program, the first game is usually known as the suspension game.  This is why FAU fans are excited about this one.

*I'll probably miss Kendall Briles.  I like Kiffin as the CEO.

*We're not big, but we're scrappy and having fun.  As you'll hear me say more this season, enjoy every minute!

Back to the top
Control functions: