Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Top 25 watch

If the ranking is supposed to rank the Top 25 teams currently than FAU should definitely be ranked. If it's supposed to rank the top 25 teams based on their performance averaged over the entire season then it's more iffy because of the Marshall loss and UCF blowout at home.
Back to the top

I also don’t think we’ll make it. Part of me wants us to not make it bc I don’t think the whole body of work is there. Although I don’t think there’s 25 teams that could beat us right now. Marshall was the one that did us in. After Minnesota they’ll have earned the top 25 ranking. Even if we don’t make it perhaps preseason 2020 we could although in preseason 2018 a ton of P5 schools with mediocre 2017 records jumped us 
Back to the top

Marshall also lost to Charlotte MTS and Western Kentucky teams that FAU beat by double digits (18, 15 and 11) Marshall beat FIU in OT while FAU blew FIU out of the building.

UCF lost to Pittsburgh but Pittsburgh lost to a terrible Miami Hurricane team who of course lost to FIU and La Tech.
Back to the top

I don’t expect the pollsters to look that deep.  They will simply look at the 3 or 4 teams that need to drop out of the polls, then they will look for any reason to move a P5 team in.  After that, they will look at all the teams with 10+ wins and give spots to the biggest names.  

Competing in a beauty competition against names like Texas A&M, UCF (who clobbered us as far as the pollsters will see), Air Force, etc. will be hard to overcome for the Owls.  But the biggest thing is to start somewhere close at the beginning of the season - which I think we can heading into 2020. 
Back to the top

So far #25 Texas A&M lost, #26 SMU lost, #19 Boise St. lost, #17 Memphis lost and #22 USC lost.
We shall cross our fingers and see.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

So far #25 Texas A&M lost, #26 SMU lost, #19 Boise St. lost, #17 Memphis lost and #22 USC lost.
We shall cross our fingers and see.
Posted On: Dec 29th 2019, 8:06 AM #392986

Oklahoma State was 25. A&m beat them and will probably just jump back into the top 25
Back to the top

An 8-5 A&M and 11-3 FAU might be the contention for who gets the #25 spot
Back to the top

I have a hard time believing we will get in over a fringe P5 program that wins a bowl game. Any excuse to rank the big schools. 
Back to the top

Lane's Love Owl said

I have a hard time believing we will get in over a fringe P5 program that wins a bowl game. Any excuse to rank the big schools. 
Posted On: Dec 30th 2019, 1:19 AM #393050

Have to agree with ya there, sadly.
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Lane's Love Owl said

Posted On: Dec 30th 2019, 1:19 AM #393050

Have to agree with ya there, sadly.
Posted On: Dec 30th 2019, 6:48 AM #393055

I agree as well but this is where we are so far in games I think matter:

Losers: #25 OK ST, #22 USC, #19 Boise,
Winners: #20 App ST

Still to play: #24 VI (most likely an L tonight)
                  #23 Navy vs K ST
                  #21 Cincy vs BC

So odds are we will have 5 losses in the bottom of the top 25 so there is a chance we slip in at 24 or 25.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top
Control functions: