Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

What went wrong this year?

Compare Robison this year to Milton & fine’ first year as starters. 

Room for optimism. Very similar quarterbacks too. 

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

So a team's ypc is going to go from 6.2 in 2017 to 5.1 in 2018 because of a different qb. That's over a yard drop off per carry. This doesn't have to be so complicated. We lost Briles. On top of that, we had a dysfunctional OL. There's no way a team's running game goes into the tank like that because of a change of quarterback. Motor went from 6.5 for his career to just over 5 this year I believe. The coaches didn't have control over the team. There were a lot of me first guys on the team. The problem was a lot of those guys weren't even good, so that's very hard to overcome. Obviously the RG was beyond awful. You're not going to average 6 ypc with such a trash situation.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

So a team's ypc is going to go from 6.2 in 2017 to 5.1 in 2018 because of a different qb. That's over a yard drop off per carry. This doesn't have to be so complicated. We lost Briles. On top of that, we had a dysfunctional OL. There's no way a team's running game goes into the tank like that because of a change of quarterback. Motor went from 6.5 for his career to just over 5 this year I believe. The coaches didn't have control over the team. There were a lot of me first guys on the team. The problem was a lot of those guys weren't even good, so that's very hard to overcome. Obviously the RG was beyond awful. You're not going to average 6 ypc with such a trash situation.
Posted On: Dec 8th 2018, 9:53 PM #384063

"That can't have anything to with QB play"-jgf2017

Back to the top

There's no way a team will go from being an incredible running team to not being middle of the road because of a different quarterback. That's like saying if Nebraska had a bad qb in the mid 90's they wouldn't have been able to run anymore. Are you seriously arguing this?
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

There's no way a team will go from being an incredible running team to not being middle of the road because of a different quarterback. That's like saying if Nebraska had a bad qb in the mid 90's they wouldn't have been able to run anymore. Are you seriously arguing this?
Posted On: Dec 8th 2018, 11:32 PM #384065

That wasn't your statement.  You said the QB had NOTHING to do with ypc going down.  Mathematically, if the QB is 3rd on the team in carries and they go from 5.1 to 2.9 it does have SOMETHING to do with it.

Back to the top

My statement is that the huge drop off from Motor's career of 6.5 ypc to 5.2, as well as the team's ypc going down by over a yard, has nothing to do with the quarterback. You don't experience such a huge drop off because of the quarterback. It, in my opinion is because Briles left. How does a running back's numbers go down so much because of a quarterback? It's absurd. This isn't the mystery one might make it out to be. We had no Briles. Also, we had a below average OL with an atrocious RG in particular, which crippled the offense. On defense our line was dismal without Taleni and Nagel. The coaches had no control over the team. There were a lot of me first players. I know it's the sexy thing to try to come up with different reasons.
Back to the top

Yeah I think that the ypc stat is very indicative of the type of regression the offense had. We still got yards but with turnovers, worse 3rd and 4th down execution, and somehow a less potent passing game other teams were able to load up on the run. The offensive line wasn't great but it seemed like the offense was very predictable and the other teams were keyed on the run. Also I don't know that exact math but it seems like most of Motor's best runs were called back due to penalties. Throw in a few 30+ yard runs and his YPC starts to look a lot better.

Im asking Santa for some big lineman and physical linebackers for Christmas. If Jalen Hurts wants to transfer here next year I'll take that as a late Hanukkah present.
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

My statement is that the huge drop off from Motor's career of 6.5 ypc to 5.2, as well as the team's ypc going down by over a yard, has nothing to do with the quarterback. You don't experience such a huge drop off because of the quarterback. It, in my opinion is because Briles left. How does a running back's numbers go down so much because of a quarterback? It's absurd. This isn't the mystery one might make it out to be. We had no Briles. Also, we had a below average OL with an atrocious RG in particular, which crippled the offense. On defense our line was dismal without Taleni and Nagel. The coaches had no control over the team. There were a lot of me first players. I know it's the sexy thing to try to come up with different reasons.
Posted On: Dec 9th 2018, 1:13 AM #384067

That's not how football works. There are ripple effects in production that may not seem immediately obvious. We essentially had 0 air offense with our new QB. As a result, we were left as a one dimensional running team. Which for most defenses is SO MUCH easier to defend. Most teams were stacking up the line of scrimmage with extra players. Teams did this last year to us as well but Driskel was able to get those passes out and collapse DEF.

Weak WR play and OL play will also affect running numbers. If players don't correctly hold or block correctly, the running back cant be effective. It also doesn't help that we lost some of our best OL players..

Back to the top

faufan2017 said

jgf2017 said

Posted On: Dec 9th 2018, 1:13 AM #384067

That's not how football works. There are ripple effects in production that may not seem immediately obvious. We essentially had 0 air offense with our new QB. As a result, we were left as a one dimensional running team. Which for most defenses is SO MUCH easier to defend. Most teams were stacking up the line of scrimmage with extra players. Teams did this last year to us as well but Driskel was able to get those passes out and collapse DEF.

Weak WR play and OL play will also affect running numbers. If players don't correctly hold or block correctly, the running back cant be effective. It also doesn't help that we lost some of our best OL players..

Posted On: Dec 10th 2018, 8:41 AM #384087

You can not ke him understand this he is just an unknowledgeable troll that wants to blame one player or coach as the reason for everything.

The fact he can not see that the ability the QB make difference in the simple shows his posts are nothing more than page filler.
Back to the top

You're the one that claims Briles had nothing to do with the 2017 offensive production and that it was Kiffin. You even said Kiffin was calling plays 2017 when he wasn't. Why? Because Briles was talking to the Driskel right when every play ended. If it was all Driskel, and that's why we ran for 6.2 ypc as a team in 2017, then why didn't Driskel make that big of a difference in the running game before 2017 under Partridge? I already mentioned how last year we averaged 50 ppg for a few weeks before Solomon and Woods came back. In fact, people were wondering why our passing game was so bad.
Back to the top
Control functions: