Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Willie Taggart's STAFF Thread

Weis Jr had the ideal situation - use his crazy memory skills to help with game plans and play call suggestions, use his recruiting skills to provide value, and use his age to help connect/relate with the guys on the team.  In return, gain invaluable experience as a coordinator under a head coach who was doing a ton of the heavy lifting.

I know change is hard, and it can be even harder when you are coming off 2 of the best seasons in the program’s history in the last 3 years.  But Lane being gone will be the big impact on the offense and not Weis Jr.  We knew a new head coach would most likely bring a whole bunch of new coaches, and part of that is because some of the FAU coaches moved on.

I am happy that we kept nearly all of the early signing class, and hope the staff is named quickly so we can try and land some additional help come February.  I feel like the offense will be good because of the returning talent, but whoever the OC is they need to be somebody who can ensure Robison doesn’t regress. 
Back to the top

I’m looking forward to the staff being announced.  In theory we should have more money for assistants given Willie having a lower salary, and the buy out money we have coming.  It would be nice if we keep Spencer and Trickett, but I’m all in on what Willie wants to do
Back to the top

owlmart said

I’m looking forward to the staff being announced.  In theory we should have more money for assistants given Willie having a lower salary, and the buy out money we have coming.  It would be nice if we keep Spencer and Trickett, but I’m all in on what Willie wants to do
Posted On: Dec 20th 2019, 10:09 AM #392474

I agree! Dont force any coach to keep a staff. I would love for trickett to stay given his pedigree and recruiting ability. Raymond woodbie was just let go by FSU. Was a top 10 recruiter in the nation. His son plays for FSU as well. Would like to see him here and his son transfer in. 
Back to the top

This is 100% taggarts  call. It's his career  and reputation.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

This is 100% taggarts  call. It's his career  and reputation.
Posted On: Dec 20th 2019, 10:32 AM #392476

THAT IS FOR SURE, JUST LIKE WHEN COACH K CAME HERE.

THEY FAIL HERE, THEY NEVER GET ANOTHER POWER 5 SHOT - NEVER!

Make great choices Coach T - show you have learned from your prior Coaching mistakes - and Like Lane, you WILL get bigger opportunities agian!!!!
Back to the top

Woodie has been on Willie’s staff 4 different times.  I would think #5 is imminent.  And yes - I’d be happy for him to bring his son with him!!!
Back to the top

Blind faith in a proven winner in one thing but Willie T is not a proven winner (IE 56-62 and never won a bowl game).

I'm trying to be supportive but he's making it difficult. If you can't work with others and have to bring your buddies to every new job is concerning to me.

God forbid this goes south next year, you still gonna say his career and his reputation?

I hope he proves me wrong…..

Back to the top

cbboarder said

Blind faith in a proven winner in one thing but Willie T is not a proven winner (IE 56-62 and never won a bowl game).

I'm trying to be supportive but he's making it difficult. If you can't work with others and have to bring your buddies to every new job is concerning to me.

God forbid this goes south next year, you still gonna say his career and his reputation?

Posted On: Dec 20th 2019, 11:37 AM #392480

Most coaches bring coaches they know. Would you put your faith in ppl you know and have worked with before or ppl you barely know? These coaches have been successful at 3 of 4 places with willie. Does that mean because they got fired less than 2 years into a job when 80 percent of the roster was inherited they are bad coaches? Dan mullen almost brought his entire staff from Miss state. Most coaches norvell has hired have worked with him before. Thats just how college football is.
Back to the top

cbboarder said

How is he making it difficult? Technically all he’s really done is kept a pretty good group of recruits on board.
Back to the top

1OwlFLATL said

cbboarder said

Most coaches bring coaches they know. Would you put your faith in ppl you know and have worked with before or ppl you barely know? These coaches have been successful at 3 of 4 places with willie. Does that mean because they got fired less than 2 years into a job when 80 percent of the roster was inherited they are bad coaches? Dan mullen almost brought his entire staff from Miss state. Most coaches norvell has hired have worked with him before. Thats just how college football is.
Posted On: Dec 20th 2019, 2:54 PM #392488

To me this is very basic. You don't fire guys from a winning program to bring in guys from a losing program.  That makes no sense to me. Bottom line is Willie T has a losing record. You can't hide the facts….

Dan Mullen is a winner, that's why he brought his staff.

Do you think Saban hired Kiffin because he likes him? No, he hired him because he's a winner and learned to work with him for the betterment of the program.

Yes, I think their bad coaches. They had 2 years to turn FSU around in a weak ACC and failed (a very weak ACC)! The only School in the ACC with more talent than FSU is Clemson.

Sorry to be so negative but I continue to struggle with this hire……

Go Owls!

Back to the top
Control functions: