Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Willie Taggart to Become the Next FAU Football Head Coach

There is a big difference between the ACC and C-USA …

Maybe this is a better fit for Taggart.

Back to the top

CONFIRMED.

Willie Taggart will become the next Head Coach of FAU Football!

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

I am not happy with the hire but I an not going bury a guy before he coaches his first game.
Back to the top

The negative sentiment on here is ridiculous. This is not the ACC, Pac 10, Oregon or FSU. Mind you, I agree he did a terrible job at FSU – but those expectations are light years ahead of those here and he clearly was not ready for that. He can win here just like he won at WKU and USF afer turning those programs around, and he will be the best recruiter in C USA, period. With the right staff in place we can still thrive. I am absolutely fine with this hire and it's unreal to me how FAU fans somehow feel entitled enough to say a major hire like Taggart is a negative lol – unreal.
Back to the top

I am not going to lie, I am not thrilled with the hire, but I have to trust what President Kelly and Mr. White are doing. Taggart I hope you keep Coach Spencer. With the team we have coming back next year, we have the potential to win 10+ games in 2020. Go Owls 🦉!!! 
Back to the top

My contacts at FSU said his problem was not so much recruiting as he lost control of the team. Part of that is the fault of Jimbo Fisher and how he left the team. Taggert never got on top of the team and basically it was a rudderless ship. Look Lane has issues like that at Tennessee when he ran a film called the USC way to a proud Tennessee program.  He learned from those mistakes. He also had issues at USC which truly was his dream job at the time.

He rehabilitated himself here at FAU. I am hoping Taggart can do the same. What he did at FSU was god awful from everything I read and people I know at FSU. It does help that he had a great stint at WKU.

Again you can not effectively second guess the hire until you see the results on the field.
Back to the top

Willie signed a five year agreement with FAU.

That's about all we know about the contract for now.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Great hire

Followed him since he was here at Western Kentucky

History

Took over a team that just moved up to division one in WKU and had a 20 game losing streak
Turned that program around and better than when he arrived

Went to USF and had to do a complete rebuild in the middle of season ditched the pro offense and implemented a spread showing his willingness to change USF took off after that and were definitely better than when he arrived 

Oregon recent success but only won 4 games the year before he got there he increased the win total to 7 and had an outstanding recruiting class coming better only one year but better than when he arrived

At this point every program he had taken in was better when he left 

FSU is the only program that he has not had that happen and who knows maybe he could have with more time

Now for the first time he can come in and coach a team that is not a rebuild and I believe he will do a great job and finally be able to show he is an excellent coach 
Back to the top

82cat said

Great hire

Followed him since he was here at Western Kentucky

History

Took over a team that just moved up to division one in WKU and had a 20 game losing streak
Turned that program around and better than when he arrived

Went to USF and had to do a complete rebuild in the middle of season ditched the pro offense and implemented a spread showing his willingness to change USF took off after that and were definitely better than when he arrived 

Oregon recent success but only won 4 games the year before he got there he increased the win total to 7 and had an outstanding recruiting class coming better only one year but better than when he arrived

At this point every program he had taken in was better when he left 

FSU is the only program that he has not had that happen and who knows maybe he could have with more time

Now for the first time he can come in and coach a team that is not a rebuild and I believe he will do a great job and finally be able to show he is an excellent coach 
Posted On: Dec 11th 2019, 8:08 PM #392182

Thank you, great post.  Unfortunately facts don’t seem to matter to some.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

I think it is a matter of 0-20, against 10-3 in two-of-three seasons with two league championships…

Always easier to slip with a new staff being put in place given the curve, etc.

He deserves his chance…

On a side note:

"…all of us are looking forward to being here in Paradise for the foreseeable future."
Back to the top
Control functions: