Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Willie Taggart to Become the Next FAU Football Head Coach

illinoisowl said

Lots of negative comments on Facebook. As I recall there were plenty of negative comments about Kiffin when it was announced. 
My take on this is we are all arm chair quarter backs. We don’t know what White knows. What’s done is done. Let’s trust the AD and see how this works out. 
Posted On: Dec 11th 2019, 10:00 PM #392193

Facebook has lot of stupid people so what else is new?
Back to the top

d-owl said

The negative sentiment on here is ridiculous. This is not the ACC, Pac 10, Oregon or FSU. Mind you, I agree he did a terrible job at FSU – but those expectations are light years ahead of those here and he clearly was not ready for that. He can win here just like he won at WKU and USF afer turning those programs around, and he will be the best recruiter in C USA, period. With the right staff in place we can still thrive. I am absolutely fine with this hire and it's unreal to me how FAU fans somehow feel entitled enough to say a major hire like Taggart is a negative lol – unreal.
Posted On: Dec 11th 2019, 7:23 PM #392176

I sure hope all those ppl with comments attend a game. Many people commenting dont support the program! 
Back to the top

Owlguin said

He had some good recruiting classes before the recruits caught on (last year's FSU class was not good and he failed to bring in enough offensive linemen through the portal or transfers to meet his most pressing need, and this year's class was not going to be where it needed to be).
Posted On: Dec 11th 2019, 5:14 PM #392148

let's be fair,  24/7 has FSU as the #25 recruiting class in the nation…. even after Jacksonville 5 star QB Sims recently decommited…. c'mon fellas

"What counts is not necessarily the size of the dog in the fight - it's the size of the fight in the dog."
-Dwight D. Eisenhower
Back to the top

Taggart definitely wasn’t my first choice, but he was in my top 5. He’s always been known as a great recruiter, that’s half the battle in G5 football. I also think the FSU buy out will allow him to have a large pool of money to make hires for his staff. Won’t be shocked to see Spencer get a significant raise with the money they’ll be saving by FSU paying Taggart. I’m excited to see what he can do with a team that isn’t in need a of a rebuild. We have all the tools in place for him to be successful. Time to support our school and our team. Good luck coach Taggart #WillieWagon. 
Back to the top

Very excited about hiring Taggart.  Unlike some here, he was the first name I thought of as soon as Lane left.  I personally don't understand the negative response by some.  I get that FSU was a mess, however it was a bad situation there before he got there.  He's a very good recruiter, has deep Florida ties, a ton of experience as a head coach, and success at multiple G5 schools.  To me, he was the best option available and makes a ton of sense here.  Any hire is a risk, but I trust President Kelly and Brian White to get the hire right.
Back to the top

Not my first choice either but Walty's post said it best - EVERYWHERE Willie went was a disaster BEFORE he got there, FSU especially! WKU coming up into FBS level, USF 3-9 with Holtz, Oregon 4-8 under Helfrich.

THIS is the first good team and situation he has been given, let's all pray he can haNdle it well and make us dominant in CUSA year after year.

He DOES recruit very well! Coach Taggert - KEEP COACH SPENSER!!!!!
Back to the top

I am still trying to figure out what was so awful about Taggert on the field at FSU.

All the losses this year were to Bowl teams. 5 points to Boise, 7 points to Virginia, 2 points to Wake Forest included. And they did beat Louisville. They also beat Syracuse and N.C. State who were not good teams this year.

No, FSU is not ready to compete with Clemson or Florida (lost badly to them after Willie fired) and yes UM handled them easily. But something else is up when ya fire a HC mid-season of his second year when he is still using Jimbo's leftovers and the WORLD knows Jimbo left a dumpster fore in a hurry and totally bailed on FSU.

Let's hope that yet another schools STUPID expectations of immediate glory (FSU) dropped us a timely gift!
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

I am still trying to figure out what was so awful about Taggert on the field at FSU.

All the losses this year were to Bowl teams. 5 points to Boise, 7 points to Virginia, 2 points to Wake Forest included. And they did beat Louisville. They also beat Syracuse and N.C. State who were not good teams this year.

No, FSU is not ready to compete with Clemson or Florida (lost badly to them after Willie fired) and yes UM handled them easily. But something else is up when ya fire a HC mid-season of his second year when he is still using Jimbo's leftovers and the WORLD knows Jimbo left a dumpster fore in a hurry and totally bailed on FSU.

Let's hope that yet another schools STUPID expectations of immediate glory (FSU) dropped us a timely gift!
Posted On: Dec 12th 2019, 8:40 AM #392210

How's this? Made over 25 Million in the last 5 years, his lackluster career record is 56-62 and never won a bowl game. Just plain crazy….

Also on the repeated "good recruiter" comment. We don't need a good recruiter we need a good coach. For example, Charlie Partridge was a good recruiter but couldn't turn it into victories. So we hire LK who isn't a great recruiter but is one hell of a coach and look what happened.

I hope he proves me wrong….

Go Owls!

Back to the top

FAU fans have gotten pretty entitled lol. One coach ago, we were going 3-9 for the third consecutive year. Before the Lane Train rolled in, we were hiring D-line coaches and crack heads to lead the program. Kiffin was a generational hire for us, similar to Saban at Alabama. So I think we're probably ok to take a small step back, and give a guy who has coached at a couple P5 programs (with mixed results for sure) a chance, and see what he can do with a loaded roster and some of the best G5 facilities in the country, at probably the best location, G5 OR P5, in the country.

If we had made this hire after a couple 3-9 seasons, we would be praising Brian White and John Kelly as geniuses who somehow pulled off the impossible.

As long as we keep going to bowl games and competing for the CUSA championship on a regular basis, we'll be fine. We're a program looking for consistency, not national championships.
Back to the top

Although I maybe would have gone a different route myself, I'm honestly excited that we're in a position to be getting nationally known coaches, with proven success at some levels. Love it or not, this is still a new level for FAU football.
Back to the top
Control functions: