Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Willie Taggart to Become the Next FAU Football Head Coach

Just my thoughts…

• My question about his "great recruiting" does his image get tarnished due to what happened at FSU?
• I'm not sure whether i like or hate the hire, I'll give him a chance and see what he does.
• His record sticks out as not so good, but do have to account for the time he was fixing broken programs.
• He has a great program in place, don't F it up!
• And, I'd feel better if he does keep Spencer on DC

Bottom line, we are all OWLS, no matter what, the ups and downs, the good and the bad, no matter the coach, we stick by this program. It's what unites us, it's why I love college football… as always GO OWLS!!!!
Back to the top

I think this is a decent hire and expectations may be a little high. Reading this thread reminds me of when Lane was hired. Taggart has had success at the G5 level. I think FSU was a dumpster fire when he took over and he needed more time to turn it around (though I acknowledge some questionable things this past season). Recruiting should be solid based on Taggert's existing connections which is huge. Overall, I think this is a time will tell hire just like Lane was.
Back to the top

Alright, so Jake Elman from the PBP filed a FOIA to so we all can see the terms of agreement.

Below are the biggest takeaways.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Talking to Jake, he was quick to remind me that this is just a memorandum of understanding. Therefore, it's missing several bits like the assistants' pool.

Back to the top

SCowl said

Bottom line, we are all OWLS, no matter what, the ups and downs, the good and the bad, no matter the coach, we stick by this program. It's what unites us, it's why I love college football… as always GO OWLS!!!!
Posted On: Dec 12th 2019, 9:59 AM #392215

:-]

Back to the top

I am enthusiastic that Taggart took $750k (a sizable chunk below what Kiffin was making) because 1) he has all that FSU money coming but more importantly 2) he recognizes the need to have more $$$$s for really good assistants.

I also expect we have the buyout money from Lane's departure to aid with the assistants, too!  Somebody else asked this, but does anybody know an accurate number on what we got from Lane/Ole Miss?
Back to the top

owlsdad said

I am enthusiastic that Taggart took $750k (a sizable chunk below what Kiffin was making) because 1) he has all that FSU money coming but more importantly 2) he recognizes the need to have more $$$$s for really good assistants.

I also expect we have the buyout money from Lane's departure to aid with the assistants, too!  Somebody else asked this, but does anybody know an accurate number on what we got from Lane/Ole Miss?
Posted On: Dec 12th 2019, 1:02 PM #392222

I think Taggart genuinely loves FAU. He mentioned he wants to stay a long time. Maybe he’s the guy that gets us in the top 25 
Back to the top

jgf2017 said

owlsdad said

I think Taggart genuinely loves FAU. He mentioned he wants to stay a long time. Maybe he’s the guy that gets us in the top 25 
Posted On: Dec 12th 2019, 1:11 PM #392223

If we win the Boca Bowl there is a very good chance we end the year in the top 25.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

owlsdad said

I saw that his buyout, including the house loan, was $2.3 million. 

With Taggart getting 750k there should be plenty of money left for him to have a good chunk of money for his assistant salary pool.
Back to the top

I want to say our assistant pool is 2.1 Mill. I'm hoping he took the 200k per year saved on his salary to put towards that pool making it 2.3 million. FAU if smart will hold onto kiff's buyout in the event we needed to buy Willie out of his contract. They could give Spencer a 100k raise and allocate the other 100k towards affording a solid OC. They could also take even just a million of the buyout money and be able to pay the coordinators an extra 125k each over a 4 year contract. spencer as of today now makes 275k. Say we followed the scenario above, we would be able to pay spencer 500k annually and the new OC 405k (weiss currently gets 180k). Nothing extra would be coming out of the athletics departments pockets to do that and would leave 1.3 million in buyout money for if willie doesn't work.
Back to the top
Control functions: