Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Cylla & Rutherford Leaving FAU

Add topic

Even though basketball is one of my least favorite sport, I still know more about the game then most. I just watched MTSU beat up on Minn. U. How can they be one of the top 32 teams in the nation and we are still looking for an identity. I'm not going to pretend I have the answer to our issues. Heck, the guys that get paid to do that can't. I also know that smaller schools like FGCU are in the dance and in the top 25 in baseball. Their AD is doing a great job. I am an uninformed fan that gets no answers from even the most knowledgeble  fans. Some one enlighten us uninformed as to what we need to change to improve to at least average. Year after year of the same quality ball. Something is wrong.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Even though basketball is one of my least favorite sport, I still know more about the game then most. I just watched MTSU beat up on Minn. U. How can they be one of the top 32 teams in the nation and we are still looking for an identity. I'm not going to pretend I have the answer to our issues. Heck, the guys that get paid to do that can't. I also know that smaller schools like FGCU are in the dance and in the top 25 in baseball. Their AD is doing a great job. I am an uninformed fan that gets no answers from even the most knowledgeble  fans. Some one enlighten us uninformed as to what we need to change to improve to at least average. Year after year of the same quality ball. Something is wrong.
Posted On: Mar 16th 2017, 7:10 PM #367783
Mark Knoll posted in a previous thread a great answer to your question, I believe it was a three part response but the main point was resources like pretty much an other business that exists.

Maybe Rick can post it, I don't know how or I would find it.

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

dusky256fc said

Posted On: Mar 16th 2017, 7:36 PM #367786

Not sure which one, so here they are…

Search - Forums - FAU Owl's Nest

Back to the top

Rick said

dusky256fc said

Posted On: Mar 16th 2017, 7:36 PM #367786

Not sure which one, so here they are…

Search - Forums - FAU Owl's Nest

Posted On: Mar 16th 2017, 8:08 PM #367787

Come on man, someone said I posted something good  :Big-Grin: That's a first!!

Here it is:

fauowl said

There are 3 things IMO that help to build college basketball programs, and they are all intertwined. Keep in mind, I am not advocating we do any of this because I am not the guy who will be donating the millions of dollars it takes to do.

1. Facilities
2. Budget (Investment in program)
3. Coaches & Staff pay

We are at or near the bottom in these categories for our conference, so I am not sure why everyone thinks we should be somewhere else in the rankings of results.

We can change coaches like we change our underwear if we want. We have been doing that since we went to D1 (I believe it was in 1994).  We have had similar results every coach.  Can we find that magic coach out there that can win? Yeah, but he won't build a program without these other pieces.

I hope we keep Curry and begin to slowly work on the building blocks.

I love the Burrow as a building. It holds great memories for me. I graduated in there.  But it is NOT a D1 basketball facility.  By my definition, it is a D2 facility and I define a D2 facility as one that has a concrete wall 20 feet behind the basket.  The new academic center will become a piece of the building blocks for all sports when completed and will be a huge step for all sports including basketball.

Our overall budget for the basketball program ranks near the bottom of CUSA; in the mid-range of the Sunbelt, and near the top of the Atlantic Sun.  I did the research on this a couple of years ago and am not going to update it because we have not suddenly surpassed everyone while everyone else stayed stagnant, so you get the idea.

Coaches and staff pay has inched up but I would say we probably rank middle to low in the CUSA.  

We rank in results very near where we rank in investments.  There is no easy quick fix solution because it takes money.  The reality is that we need football to win, soon.

Here are some of the arenas in our conference: UAB, Middle TN, Western KY.  You can quickly see the difference from ours.

Go Owls!

Posted On: Mar 14th 2017, 9:26 AM #367737
Back to the top

It is a super good post Mark and thanks for the pics showing what we are up against in recruiting. But I also think they they too have football, and baseball and tennis and soccer and……oh wait, we don't have lacrosse yet (we should). Bottom line is we ALL have multiple sports in both genders to run and pay for.

Heck, we JUST GOT tennis courts on campus IN S. FLORIDA!!!!! Next, maybe BR's in the baseball stadium…..Nah, too difficult and expensive for FAU apparently. SAD!!!!!!!!!!!

Yet THEY have a decent mid size facility to play their home game in, we still have a gym, a big gym, but a gym. Personally I can't imagine ANY recruit who visits these other conference teams or even many much smaller schools wanting to play in our big gym.

In todays' day and age it is about the facilities if you are not Power5 in FB or a Major in BB.
Back to the top

Mark I know you're a smart bussiness man.
It's a company and a leaders job to create an environment where you can keep top talent and grow it.
Why were players at a high rate doing this?

Back to the top

Shane Marinelli OC40 said

It's a company and a leaders job to create an environment where you can keep top talent and grow it.

I question Mark's intelligence!  I mean really an FAU fan store???   I know his wife agrees!!

Back to the top

owlcountry40 said

Posted On: Mar 16th 2017, 10:09 PM #367791

Thanks OC. Nice comments. But I left a cushy Fortune 500 job to open the first FAU Fan shop so the thought that I am a smart business man is very subjective  :Big-Grin:

Great question tho about why this happens a lot in college basketball.

There are hundreds of transfers a year.  I think a few years ago there were over 500 transfers in one year. Not sure what the numbers are now.  

IMO, AAU ball has damaged college basketball, especially at our level.  Kids play AAU ball where there is not a lot of structure.  The kids are told how great they are from a young age. The coaches in AAU want to make a name for themselves so they let the patients run the asylum.  They all think they are going to the NBA.  

When they get to a typical college program that has structure, they rebel because they don't know how the real world works because they have never had to participate in the real world.

Kids that go to Indiana, Duke, North Carolina, etc., tend to adapt better. That's why they are there and not at FAU.

There are no easy answers to our issues, but not having the money to invest in the program and not having a D1 facility only compounds the issues.  

We have had some serious "basketball" names at FAU: Sydney Green, Matt Doherty, Rex Walters, Mike Jarvis, Michael Curry, etc., and none have had any prolonged success.  

Also a big factor is that we move conferences for football and basketball suffers.  We play 2 conferences above our budget in basketball.
Back to the top

Really??? said

I question Mark's intelligence!  I mean really an FAU fan store???   I know his wife agrees!!

Posted On: Mar 16th 2017, 10:51 PM #367793

My wife absolutely agrees.  What the hell was I thinking?  :Laughing:

But I will say, I am having a blast and living the dream.  

What's money? I mean other than that thing you need to buy food.

Win some football games and everything will be just fine!!

Let's Go Owls.
Back to the top

fauowl said

owlcountry40 said

Posted On: Mar 16th 2017, 10:09 PM #367791

Thanks OC. Nice comments. But I left a cushy Fortune 500 job to open the first FAU Fan shop so the thought that I am a smart business man is very subjective  :Big-Grin:

Great question tho about why this happens a lot in college basketball.

There are hundreds of transfers a year.  I think a few years ago there were over 500 transfers in one year. Not sure what the numbers are now.  

IMO, AAU ball has damaged college basketball, especially at our level.  Kids play AAU ball where there is not a lot of structure.  The kids are told how great they are from a young age. The coaches in AAU want to make a name for themselves so they let the patients run the asylum.  They all think they are going to the NBA.  

When they get to a typical college program that has structure, they rebel because they don't know how the real world works because they have never had to participate in the real world.

Kids that go to Indiana, Duke, North Carolina, etc., tend to adapt better. That's why they are there and not at FAU.

There are no easy answers to our issues, but not having the money to invest in the program and not having a D1 facility only compounds the issues.  

We have had some serious "basketball" names at FAU: Sydney Green, Matt Doherty, Rex Walters, Mike Jarvis, Michael Curry, etc., and none have had any prolonged success.  

Also a big factor is that we move conferences for football and basketball suffers.  We play 2 conferences above our budget in basketball.
Even if half our budget went to football we still have more than FGCU.

In the end we have just hired bad coaches end of story.
If McCall was here we wouldn't be 27-67 over the last three years.
Back to the top
Control functions: