Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

IDEA: Improve The Burrow?

Add topic

Aw the Burrow. The home for FAU Basketball and Volleyball since the 80s. The venue is coming up to be over 30 years old. There are a lot bigger and modernized venues in College Basketball now a days. Any thoughts on how to improve and modernize the venue so it could continue to support FAU sports for years to come? 

Revolution- n. A large amount of change in a short amount of time.   FAU- n. The place where tomorrow begins.
Back to the top

Bulldozer?
Back to the top

GeorgiaOwl said

Bulldozer?
Posted On: Apr 8th 2017, 5:52 PM #368223

Bulldozer is an option. But you got to have something to put there afterwards. What where you thinking?

Revolution- n. A large amount of change in a short amount of time.   FAU- n. The place where tomorrow begins.
Back to the top

The97Revolution said

Aw the Burrow. The home for FAU Basketball and Volleyball since the 80s. The venue is coming up to be over 30 years old. There are a lot bigger and modernized venues in College Basketball now a days. Any thoughts on how to improve and modernize the venue so it could continue to support FAU sports for years to come? 
Posted On: Apr 8th 2017, 4:14 PM #368212

Aw the Burrow.  It holds some great memories for me.  I graduated in the Burrow 23 years ago.  

IMO there is nothing to be done to the Burrow to bring it up to the Division 1 level.  That would be a complete tear down, but I hope they don't tear it down.  

The following is just my feedback, not a demand. I don't donate enough money to make demands. Just offering up what I think our basketball program will need to advance whether it is 5 years away, 10 years, 15 years, it depends on when we are at a point to invest the required dollars.  

I would like to see a new Convocation center built to house the basketball program and host other events.  I think the arena that UCF has would be perfect.

If the Burrow is not a maintenance money pit, I would like to keep it for volleyball.  You don't see many D1 basketball programs on TV that have "lines" on the court for Volleyball.  It screams "small time."  The burrow is a nice venue for volleyball.  In the off season, it could be used by Campus Rec, and other events like OwlThon, etc.

During basketball season, it could be a secondary practice facility.  When visiting basketball teams come to town you have to provide practice facilities for them to practice.  Sometimes between the woman's program and the men's program and the visiting teams, practice facilities can be at a premium.  Having an extra facility to practice could be beneficial.

Also if we fixed it up a bit, and we ever got to host a CUSA basketball tourney, they could possibly use the Burrow as a secondary arena to play a few games.  

That's my 2 cents. love the Burrow, but sadly, it is not a facility for a division 1 basketball program.  Owls Up.
Back to the top

There should be no more "upgrading" the burrow.  If we want to be taken seriously after the athletic center is built we have to build an actual d1 basketball venue and use the burrow for practice, volleyball etc.  next up is the baseball stadium.

Anyone have 50 mil laying around they don't need?

GO OWLS!
Back to the top

fauowl said

The97Revolution said

Posted On: Apr 8th 2017, 4:14 PM #368212

Aw the Burrow.  It holds some great memories for me.  I graduated in the Burrow 23 years ago.  

IMO there is nothing to be done to the Burrow to bring it up to the Division 1 level.  That would be a complete tear down, but I hope they don't tear it down.  

The following is just my feedback, not a demand. I don't donate enough money to make demands. Just offering up what I think our basketball program will need to advance whether it is 5 years away, 10 years, 15 years, it depends on when we are at a point to invest the required dollars.  

I would like to see a new Convocation center built to house the basketball program and host other events.  I think the arena that UCF has would be perfect.

If the Burrow is not a maintenance money pit, I would like to keep it for volleyball.  You don't see many D1 basketball programs on TV that have "lines" on the court for Volleyball.  It screams "small time."  The burrow is a nice venue for volleyball.  In the off season, it could be used by Campus Rec, and other events like OwlThon, etc.

During basketball season, it could be a secondary practice facility.  When visiting basketball teams come to town you have to provide practice facilities for them to practice.  Sometimes between the woman's program and the men's program and the visiting teams, practice facilities can be at a premium.  Having an extra facility to practice could be beneficial.

Also if we fixed it up a bit, and we ever got to host a CUSA basketball tourney, they could possibly use the Burrow as a secondary arena to play a few games.  

That's my 2 cents. love the Burrow, but sadly, it is not a facility for a division 1 basketball program.  Owls Up.
Posted On: Apr 8th 2017, 6:34 PM #368229

I agree. The trouble is finding a place to place a new arena or convocation center. The site next to the stadium was originally included in the concept, but that will be the new Schmidt center. I think that another location for it would be the Ox site and practice fields, while keeping the Ox facade. FAU is also going to need another concert venue, since the old ones will be taken up by the Schmidt and the expansion of the Union. I agree with the Burrow staying for Volleyball and other events, though Campus Rec has a pretty big gym for basketball and events already. This should be part of the master plan of where FAU wants to go.

Back to the top

dusky256fc said

There should be no more "upgrading" the burrow.  If we want to be taken seriously after the athletic center is built we have to build an actual d1 basketball venue and use the burrow for practice, volleyball etc.  next up is the baseball stadium.

Anyone have 50 mil laying around they don't need?
Posted On: Apr 8th 2017, 6:37 PM #368230

I started a thread for the baseball stadium as well (IDEA: Dream FAU Baseball Stadium? - FAU Owl's Nest). I think Baseball and Basketball are equal prioritizes for FAU. The question is which one of these are going to be done first. The other facilities (Stadium, Softball, Soccer, Track, Tennis, Beach Burrow, Swimming) are up to standard, but these two need the most upgrades the soonest.

Back to the top

The97Revolution said

The trouble is finding a place to place a new arena or convocation center.
Posted On: Apr 8th 2017, 6:43 PM #368231

I don't think the trouble is finding a place for it, I think the trouble is finding the money for it.

It could go in Lot 5 where the current Rat's Mouth tailgate happens behind the stadium or on all the vacant land near Glades near the eastern most entrance to FAU.  We have the land, we need the $.
Back to the top

Mark said it. We need CASH and lots of it. There are a lot of things in my personal life that I want and will never have.
Back to the top

Local Owl said

Mark said it. We need CASH and lots of it. There are a lot of things in my personal life that I want and will never have.
Posted On: Apr 8th 2017, 7:07 PM #368234

The question is whether the post season earning we could generate (Bowls, Tournaments, CWS, etc.) can help with this. It may come down to team performances or conference realignments.

Back to the top
Control functions: