Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Men's Basketball Sees Conference Streak Snapped in Home Loss to Old Dominion

Add topic

Men's Basketball Sees Conference Streak Snapped in Home Loss to Old Dominion

The Owls were unable to to extend their win streak to four games, falling to Old Dominion 73-62 after a disappointing second half performance and 21 turnovers.

The Monarchs (15-4, 5-1) steadily built its lead up in the first half, and held a 12-point cushion, 34-22, with 3:35 to go. FAU trimmed the margin to seven at the break, 34-27.

Gerdarius Troutman hit a jumper to cut the Owls’ deficit to two, 46-44, with 12:42 left in the game. It was the third time in the half that FAU pulled to within a bucket.

However, the Monarchs (15-4, 5-1) scored 12 unanswered points to go up 58-44 as Florida Atlantic went cold. The Owls didn’t closer than 11 points the rest of the way.

Notables

• Ronald Delph led all scorers with 19 points and 10 rebounds, his fifth double-double of the season and career 11th.
  • Justin Massey scored 13 points and Troutman added 10 points.
  • The Owls outrebounded ODU 37-29.
  • ODU was 20-of-30 at the charity stripe, while the Owls were 7-of-11.

The team will next face North Texas in Denton on Thursday at 8:00 PM.

UPDATED SCHEDULE: 2017-18 FAU Men's Basketball Schedule - FAU Owl's Nest
Back to the top

Massey had quite the run in the second half, which helped put the Owls within two.

Then a six minute scoring drought occurred, where we turned the ball over four times in just over two minutes.

That set the tone for the remainder of the contest.

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

I read online somewhere that we are now a Football school, any truth to the matter? 

ROLL OWLS
Back to the top

NJOWL said

I read online somewhere that we are now a Football school, any truth to the matter? 
Posted On: Jan 22nd 2018, 11:22 AM #376556
All you have to do is look at the funding for both programs.

We probably put 10-20x more money into football as basketball.

Look at it this way - a lot more money has been donated and borrowed on behalf of football.  We can generate ton more revenue from football.  Florida is a football state - taking advantage of geographic location.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

Florida is historically a football state but times have changed. UF has won two national championships over the last 15 years and FSU and UM are now good year in, year out.  There is also a ton of high school basketball talent in this state, and in South Florida.  And having some success in college basketball can put you on the map (Dunk City, anyone?). 
Back to the top

dore95 said

Florida is historically a football state but times have changed. UF has won two national championships over the last 15 years and FSU and UM are now good year in, year out.  There is also a ton of high school basketball talent in this state, and in South Florida.  And having some success in college basketball can put you on the map (Dunk City, anyone?). 
Posted On: Jan 25th 2018, 8:52 AM #376661

Times have not changed.  This is still by far and away a football state.

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

I agree with @walty12.  Florida as a whole has enjoyed a significant rise in basketball success in the last 15 years, but at its core the population and fan bases still covet football.  I am from North Carolina, and that is a basketball state - people identify with their schools based on that sport first (and schools are not just colleges - it is down at the high school level, too).  Same thing in Kentucky and Indiana.  It is not just about success, but it is what do people think of and want to be good at deep down?  FSU is a good example - they will enjoy a much better basketball season versus football this year, but I can't think of anybody who thinks "basketball" when they hear FSU.  Flip that at pretty much any school in the other 3 states mentioned.

I guess the million dollar question is which one would you rather have a national championship in?  I would expect every football-playing Florida school to answer opposite of basically every NC school.  Everybody will say they would take either, but one sport is more meaningful to each state's fans.
Back to the top

dore95 said

Posted On: Jan 25th 2018, 8:52 AM #376661

Yeah college basketball is second fiddle by a wide margin in the state of Florida. Except maybe at UNF and FGCU. 
Back to the top

If you look at baseball attendance at UF,UM, FSU, basketball may be third fiddle. Granted , not as many per game , but remember baseball has three game weekend series.
Back to the top
Control functions: