Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Potential Head Coaching Candidates to Replace Jarvis

Add topic

SI - Assistant Coaches Ready for HC Gigs

Good article from SI.com.  Plenty of names to keep an eye on for FAU.

http://college-basketball.si.com/2014/03/11/coaching-carousel-top-assistants/

A few of the names with Chun/Florida connections:
Jeff Boals, Ohio State. Has been involved in numerous jobs, including a finalist a few years back. With the success Thad Matta’s tree has had, Boals will be snatched up soon.

Chris Caputo, Miami. A prolific recruiter of the Washington D.C. area, the country’s most fertile recruiting ground. With his success at George Mason and now at Miami, Caputo will be a top candidate for any jobs in the Mid-Atlantic and in the Northeast.

Stan Jones, Florida State. Maybe serving as the Seminoles’ associate head coach for 12 seasons has thrust him a little under the radar, but two sitting head coaches at other programs independently cited Jones as a guy ready for the leap. He’s detail-oriented and has helped rebuild after rebuild.

Back to the top

Tim Welsh would be a great hire.

Tim Welsh - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Back to the top

Guest said

Posted On: Mar 12th 2014, 12:27 PM #329815

We need to be done with 50% guys.

Time to graduate.
Back to the top

Guest said

Posted On: Mar 12th 2014, 12:27 PM #329815

What makes you think so, Mr. Welsh?  I don't see any coaching experience in the past 4 years.
Back to the top

fauowls44 said

Good article from SI.com.  Plenty of names to keep an eye on for FAU.

http://college-basketball.si.com/2014/03/11/coaching-carousel-top-assistants/

A few of the names with Chun/Florida connections:
Jeff Boals, Ohio State. Has been involved in numerous jobs, including a finalist a few years back. With the success Thad Matta’s tree has had, Boals will be snatched up soon.

Chris Caputo, Miami. A prolific recruiter of the Washington D.C. area, the country’s most fertile recruiting ground. With his success at George Mason and now at Miami, Caputo will be a top candidate for any jobs in the Mid-Atlantic and in the Northeast.

Stan Jones, Florida State. Maybe serving as the Seminoles’ associate head coach for 12 seasons has thrust him a little under the radar, but two sitting head coaches at other programs independently cited Jones as a guy ready for the leap. He’s detail-oriented and has helped rebuild after rebuild.

Posted On: Mar 12th 2014, 11:11 AM #329812

Hmmm an ohio state guy you say….
Back to the top

We need Matt McCall at FAU he is a great recruiter.
Back to the top

Just saw a name on a coaching rumor site connected to the Jacksonville job, but I think he could be a fit here too.  Former WKU and South Carolina HC Darrin Horn. He was fired after 2012 at USC, but had a tremendous amount of success at WKU, leading them to the Sweet Sixteen.  If Jacksonville is a possibility for him, we should certainly take a look at him as well.  
Back to the top

Should have stayed at WKU…that was the beginning of their "downfall".

His trend at SC is concerning as well…did good with another coaches players, then tanked with his own.

Take a pass on considering Horn.
Back to the top

Rick said

Should have stayed at WKU…that was the beginning of their "downfall".

His trend at SC is concerning as well…did good with another coaches players, then tanked with his own.

Take a pass on considering Horn.
Posted On: Mar 19th 2014, 10:35 AM #330050

Still, he did an impressive job at WKU.  I'd give him a look just based on those years.  Lots of guys move up to "better" jobs and then don't match their former success.  I wouldn't dismiss any candidates because of that.  Plus, it's not as if our job is the most attractive job at the moment.  Not sure we are in a position to pass on even considering coaches with recent Sweet Sixteen success.  

Just saying if I were leading the search, someone with Horn's resume is someone I'd consider.  Certainly there will be many others as well.  
Back to the top

“There’s so few head coaching jobs out there,” McCall said. “It’s in the Conference USA. Who doesn’t like to live in Boca Raton? It’s a great place to live and I think there’s an enormous amount of talent in this state, mid-major players, high-major minus players, with the right talent … and we proved it when we were down there in winning the Sun Belt, you get the right group of guys and we did it predominantly with kids from the state of Florida, you can win.”

"This business is a cutthroat business,” McCall said. “When we were down there we had a tremendous amount of success and were able to win a conference title there. He’s always been very, very good to me and I’m very grateful to coach for the chance he gave me when I was coming off being director of basketball operations here at Florida. I wish him nothing but the best.”

McCall yet to be contacted by FAU
Back to the top
Control functions: