Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

Tale of the tape...

Add topic

Ted Hutton was able to garner the details of the "way things went down"…

One comment:

What coach, with any sense of respect, calls thier assistant coaches (with families) at 11:15pm to meet at midnight  and says to "come to my home"…lol…what a joke…it can wait until morning mr. drama…….

Anyway, this was a good read:

April 15, 2008
The abrupt end to the brief Rex Walters Era

> Posted by Ted Hutton at 9:10 AM

Before we get into the whys, here’s a breakdown of how this whole thing went down.

Thursday morning: Rex informs FAU AD Craig Angelos he is heading to California to interview for the job. Rex had approached San Fran, so the Dons didn’t have to notify FAU, so this was the first Angelos knew about the potential defection.

Friday evening: Rex returns home and he and Angelos talk. Rex tells him he wants the job and the interview went well and the search committee would be making someone an offer over the weekend.

Sunday, 9:30 p.m.: Angelos hears from Rex for the first time since Friday, and Rex tells him he has been offered the job and that he is working out details in the contract.

Sunday 11:15 p.m.: Rex calls his assistants and tells them to come to his home, he also calls Angelos, who has gone to bed, and leaves a message on his Blackberry.

Midnight: Rex informs his assistants he is leaving to take the San Fran job. He will be on a plane early in the morning, and tells them he will talk to the team via a conference call late Monday morning after he arrives in California.

Monday, 8 a.m.: Mike Balado shows up at Angelos’ house and asks him if he knows what has happened. Angelos had not checked his messages, so gets the news from Balado, who also becomes the first official candidate for the job by telling Angelos he is interested in replacing Rex.

Monday 11 a.m.: With word spreading that Rex is gone, Angelos decides he can’t wait for a conference call and calls a meeting with the players to deliver the news. “They were disappointed. I told them not to panic, that we were going to get a coach as good or better than Rex.”

Monday 1 p.m.: San Francisco officials, who had planned on introducing Rex Tuesday, announce a press conference for 7 p.m. EST Monday instead.

Monday 7 p.m.: Rex Walters officially introduced as new coach of the Dons. During his 15-minute speech and Q&A, Walters thanks a lot of people, but no one from FAU, which gave him his first head coaching job.

There you have it. If it seemed to come out of the blue, that’s because it did. San Fran did a good job of keeping the lid on things, and even had the interviews well off-campus to be sure no one spotted the candidates.

BURNING BRIDGES

Angelos and FAU prez Frank Brogan were not pleased by the way the whole thing went down. That is evident the way they called Rex out in the press release issued last night.

"While we are disappointed in how Coach Walters handled this situation, specifically as it relates to its affect on the team, program and university…” was the line.

You rarely see something like that in any kind of official release, and make no mistake, it was in there for a reason.

This does not mean there were problems between Rex and Angelos up to this point. Both sides assure me they had a good working relationship, and while it is kind of hard to believe anything Rex says these days, I do believe them on this point.

But Brogan/Angelos did not like Rex bolting on them on such short notice and on the heels of the Mercer affair, and leaving them to handle the fallout yesterday morning, including having to face the players in place of the coach who was abandoning them.

Rex will be back in Boca on Wednesday. Should be interesting.

Later…

Ted Hutton - Sun Sentinel
Back to the top

Re: Tale of the tape...

Next coach needs to be one who leads by example with some sort of moral fiber.  I will forgive coaches for moving onto other jobs, but if you're going to be a college coach and an ambassador for a university you need to lead by example.

THis means when you leave your job (not to mention the first place that gave you a job) you don't tell your boss you're leaving over a phone message and consider it done.  Secondly, you plan on telling your team by conference call man they must have been really close.  What a lesson to teach college kids.  On top of that everyone finds that unacceptable so you never have to tell your team b/c your bosses found it so absurd that the kids had to listen to media leaks that they had to tell the players themselves.

What a coward.

Good riddance, he can teach the Dons how to live a life filled with commitments and strong character.  I hope the University of San Francisco is now second guessing how this went down.
Back to the top

Tale of the tape...

apetbrown said

Next coach needs to be one who leads by example with some sort of moral fiber.  I will forgive coaches for moving onto other jobs, but if you're going to be a college coach and an ambassador for a university you need to lead by example.

THis means when you leave your job (not to mention the first place that gave you a job) you don't tell your boss you're leaving over a phone message and consider it done.  Secondly, you plan on telling your team by conference call man they must have been really close.  What a lesson to teach college kids.  On top of that everyone finds that unacceptable so you never have to tell your team b/c your bosses found it so absurd that the kids had to listen to media leaks that they had to tell the players themselves.

What a coward.

Good riddance, he can teach the Dons how to live a life filled with commitments and strong character.  I hope the University of San Francisco is now second guessing how this went down.

Leaving for more money and opportunity is one thing….to be a 38 year old man and not act like a professional is a disgrace.  I really think Rex will have a great career as a coach, but the fact that he left FAU like he was quitting the night shift at 7-11 is insulting. 

Teambeer is the most knowledgeable FAU sports fan I know, way smarter than me.
Back to the top

apetbrown said

"…he can teach the Dons how to live a life filled with commitments and strong character."

Appearantly not…this is what he thinks he is in thier lives for:

""There are two things I control with you guys (pointing at the team); I control how much you run and I control how much you sit." "

rex walters - April 14th, 2008 News Conference

the guy has great standards…but as you eluded to, he's a very poor role model at best……
Back to the top

Now I understand that we are all upset AT THE WAY Rex left us. He did NOT do it the proper way and that is something that disappoints me.

HOWEVER… after speaking to, 2 FAU basketball players they did tell me that in the conference call with Rex (that was done in the locker room on Coach Balado's phone), Rex did say that he appreciated everything that the players and the staff did for him and " I will always be there for each and every one of you to help you achieve whatever it is you want to achieve in life. I will be in Boca on Wednesday, if you would like to come and talk to me, please feel free." he also said while he is coaching "The Dons" that he will still be working for the players at FAU and will help them "with life after basketball".

Take It Or Leave It…..

~B U T T E R~
Back to the top

Sounds like a pretty good conference call dialogue for an "asshole". I don't challenge Hutton's timeline, but wouldn't it have been as accurate to reflect the fact that he did talk to his players and staff.

I am more concerned about his apparent disregard for protocol in not knowing that USF was not obligated to inform FAU.  Could the "international search" committee have dropped the ball in not telling Walters how to handle the notfication process.  In any event, if as Hutton professes, Rex initiated the contact with USF, then his earlier statement that he was not "looking" rings hollow.

Since his integrity (unlike many popular opinions, I will string him up after the trial, not before) is at issue, maybe Hutton could request an interview with RW when he returns.  There is a chance that the "timeline" will change to some extent, and even include the conference call to the staff and players.

As it stands right now, USF's hands are clean, FAU's hands are clean, the "Search committee's hands are clean, and it will be a cheap hanging since we only need enough hemp for one noose—right!!!!!!!!
Back to the top

Butterfly4 said

Now I understand that we are all upset AT THE WAY Rex left us. He did NOT do it the proper way and that is something that disappoints me.

HOWEVER… after speaking to, 2 FAU basketball players they did tell me that in the conference call with Rex (that was done in the locker room on Coach Balado's phone), Rex did say that he appreciated everything that the players and the staff did for him and " I will always be there for each and every one of you to help you achieve whatever it is you want to achieve in life. I will be in Boca on Wednesday, if you would like to come and talk to me, please feel free." he also said while he is coaching "The Dons" that he will still be working for the players at FAU and will help them "with life after basketball".

Take It Or Leave It…..

thank you for that last line

i now know who you are

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Butterfly4 said

Take it or leave it….

No offense to you:

i'll leave it…

He had a chance to thank the players, etc in person and in public forum - he didnt.

"Come by and see me if you want to talk"…WHAT A JOKE…

i would be there for my guys so much that i would EXPECT a formal fairwell, a meal, something…and i would initiate it…

the "tuck and run" is telling it all - FEELING GUILTY…or simply doesnt care…

Back to the top

Definitely enjoy the info.

I will leave it.

Rex will not be there for them.  Proof is in the pudding.  Man left in the middle of the night without letting anyone know. 
Back to the top

Butterfly4 said

Take It Or Leave It…..

The way I read this is, "I'm feeling a little guilty here. I'll tell you things you want to hear to make me feel better".

FAU - THE REAL SLEEPING GIANT
Back to the top
Control functions: