Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME DAY THREAD: FAU vs. Louisiana Tech - Feb 16th, 2017

Add topic

FAU hopes to bounce back against 2nd place LaTech
What: FAU (8-15, 4-8) vs. Louisiana Tech (18-8, 10-3)

When: Thursday, February 16th @ 7:30 PM

Where: Thomas Assembly Center

Series: The Bulldogs hold a slight 2-1 edge. FAU won the most recent match-up 63-61 in Boca after trailing by 24.

TV: None

Live Video: CUSA.tv *FEE

Radio: ESPN 106.3

Louisiana Tech Team Site: Here

Louisiana Tech at a Glance:

Offense - 76.2 PPG, 47% FG, 36% 3PT

Defense - 65.5 PGA, 41% FGA, 33% 3PTA

Rebounding - 37.0 PG Team, 34.4 PG Opponents

Notables

Louisiana Tech returns to Ruston following their sweep of UTEP and UTSA. Riding a four game win streak, the Bulldogs are now in second place in CUSA. Lousiaina Tech will clinch a first round by in the Conference-USA Tournament in Birmingham with a win tonight.

Forward Erik McCree is a favorite to win CUSA Player of the Year for his consistent play throughout the season. He averages 17.8 PPG, which is the sixth highest PPG average in CUSA. But his play in LaTech's four game win streak has been nothing short of remarkable, as he shot 17-25 from downtown for a 3PT conversion rate of 68%. Jacobi Boykins is a top three-point shooting threat as well , averaging 43% from the arch.

As a team, the Bulldogs have the #4 scoring offense and #3 scoring defense in the conference. This gives LaTech the conference's best scoring margin at 10.7, four tenths better than Middle Tennessee's.

FAU at a Glance

Offense - 70.7 PPG, 41% FG, 32% 3PT

Defense - 72.0 PGA, 44% FGA, 36% 3PTA

Rebounding - 36.6 Team, 39.8 Opponents

Notables

The Owls are back to square one. After putting the conference on notice by winning three straight, all on the road, FAU dropped two straight games against winnable opponents in North Texas and Rice.

Adonis Filer is still the only Owl averaging double digit points with 10.4 PPG. The Clemson transfer scored a team high 18 points coming off the bench against Rice. William Pfister had a solid game with 9 points and 9 rebounds before fouling out in the game's closing moments.

FAU's big men will need to have solid performance if the Owls are hoping to extended their road win streak to four games. Ronald Delph hasn't put up the numbers that he is capable of, and I don't believe it is because he has been relegated off the starting lineup. William Pfister has been close to couple of double-doubles since his introduction into the lineup against FIU, If there's one night where he needs to hit the milestone for FAU, it's tonight.

Latest Line

Louisiana Tech -12.5

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Owls are keeping with the same starting line up tonight, despite slow starts in losses against North Texas and Rice.

Back to the top

Owls FIANLLY race out to a fast to start, going up 9-5 early before Tech comes back to tie it up.

Back to the top

Tech has made only 1 of their last 7 FGs, but FAU has 3 turnovers in a span of the last 3:00.

Owls are currently out rebounding the Bulldogs 9-6.

Back to the top

Ronald Delph was getting double-teamed everytime he had the ball in the paint. Now, FAU can't penetrate Tech's zone defense to get the ball into the paint in the first place.

Tech now leads, 19-17 with 9:33 left in the half.

Back to the top

Owls retake the lead, but Tech ties the game back up on two straight three pointers.

Back to the top

FAU has now gone cold offensively, causing a scoring draught over 3 minutes long. This drought has only been exasperated by 3 turnovers in the same time span.

Back to the top

Solid start for FAU is overpowered by LaTech ending the half converting 10 of their last 12 FGs, including a three at the buzzer, puts the Bulldogs up by 10. This is the largest lead of the game for any team.

Back to the top

A few individual and team stats that I want to highlight while we're at the break:

Owls haven't taken a single free throw, while Tech has gone 8-12. Despite Tech's suffocating zone defense, the Bulldogs have only committed two fouls.

That same zone defense for Tech has caused 10 turnovers, compared to just 5 TO's against Tech.

Tech has gone 5-8 from the arc, good for 63%. They're hot three-point streak continues.

Owls are surprisingly beating the Bulldogs in rebounds 17-16.

McCree and Boykins have only combined for 16 points. The majority of Tech's points have come from the bench, 20 to be exact.

Back to the top

Tech races out to extend their lead early in the second half.

Back to the top
Control functions: