Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: Charlotte @ FAU - January 12

Add topic

FAU Takes on Charlotte Saturday at The Burrow

What: Charlotte (3-11, 0-3) vs. FAU (11-5, 2-1)

When: Saturday, Jan. 12th @ 4:00 PM Eastern

Where: The Burrow

Series: FAU and Charlotte split the all-time series at 3 wins a piece.  Charlotte won the most recent contest 85-78.

TV: None

Live Video: CUSA.tv(FEE)

Radio: ESPN 106.3

Charlotte Team Site: Here

49ers at a Glance:

Offense – 59.9 PPG, 41% FG, 30% 3PT

Defense – 69.4 PPGA, 44% FGA, 34% 3PTA

Rebounding - 30.9 PG, 32.4 PG Opponents

Notables

A struggling Charlotte team travels to Boca looking for their first road win of the season. Despite their woes, the 49ers have been competitive recently in games against FIU and Marshall, with those two losses coming by a combined 4 points. The 49ers do own a strong non-conference win over Oklahoma State.

The 49ers are led by Co- Conference USA scoring leader PG Jon Davis. The Senior is averaging 27.5 PPG in his last 4 games. He is an early candidate for Conference USA player of the year. Davis had been sharing the backcourt with talented Freshmen Malik Martin. The Staten Island native was averaging just a shade below 10 PPG. Martin has been inactive the past three games due to knee soreness.  His status in uncertain for Saturday`s matchup.

Jon Davis may be the best pure scorer in the conference, unfortunately he does not have a strong supporting cast. The resurgence of Sophomore F Milos Supica has taken some pressure off Davis. The native Serbian is a very efficient scorer, shooting 56.1% from the field. One week ago, Supica broke out with 23 points against Marshall.  Freshmen G Brandon Younger has been a spark for the 49ers. He is coming off a 16-point performance against FIU.  His length at the wing could cause the Owls some trouble. Younger is only averaging 6.3 points per game this season.

Owls at a Glance:

Offense – 73.0 PPG, 42% FG, 31% 3PT

Defense - 68.6 PPGA, 41% FGA, 29% 3PTA

Rebounding - 40.8 PG, 36.2 PG Opponents

Notables

The Owls enter Saturday’s contest as one of the hottest teams in Conference USA. FAU has won three of the last four, including two straight and are hopeful to remain perfect (6-0) in the Burrow for the season.

Last game vs Old Dominion, transfer F Xavian Stapleton lit up The Burrow scoring 23 points, including four three pointers. The Senior is still not 100% recovered from a knee injury and will closely be watched on court by Coach Dusty May.

The victory over Old Dominion was unusual for FAU, as G Anthony Adger struggled offensively.  The Senior only scored 13 points. Freshmen Guard Michael Forrest scored 12 points, and transfer G Richardson Maitre stepped up with 13 points as a starter. Great steps in the right direction by two guards playing their first season of Division I basketball.

FAU now leads CUSA in rebounding, averaging 40.8 rebounds per game. Charlotte ranks third in CUSA in limiting opponent rebounds with 32.4 per game. With some serious battle expected battles in the paint, FAU will need to keep rotating bigs in order to stay fresh and stay out of foul trouble.

Opening Line: FAU -9
Back to the top

Based on the numbers, this line is conservative…

IMHO, should be a low double-digit win…that is, provided we play like we did last night.

Hope so!

Go Owls  :Love:

Back to the top

I never thought I would be writing this. Can't wait for today's game.  I'm excited to see if this team can play like they did Thursday. If so, they could make a heck of a run. Amazing what coaching can do to a program. I would love to see the student section packed. This team deserves it.
Back to the top

Told y'all the students would come back and be rowdy  :Winking:

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Dusty May liked how the Owls started on Thursday against Old Dominion, so he makes no changes for this afternoon's matchup against Charlotte.

Back to the top

Despite the same lineup as the ODU contest, the Owls cannot match Thursday's fast start.

Back to the top

Owls had a nice 7-0 run to give us the lead, but a slew of turnovers allows Charlotte to retake the advantage.

Back to the top

FAU just can't hi their shots right now. Charlotte hasn't scored in over two minutes of game time, but that is a moot point as the Owls have converted one of their last ten.

Back to the top

Now we're hitting our shots! Forrest is having himself quite the day. He leads all scorers with 10 points and two three-pointers.

Back to the top

Charlotte dominated the finals four minutes of the half. It seemed like the visitors were going to go into the break with the lead until Adger hits a three as the horn goes off.

Back to the top
Control functions: