Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: FAU vs. North Texas - February 24th, 2018

Add topic

FAU Men's Basketball hosts Senior Night against UNT

What: FAU (11-16, 5-10) vs. North Texas (14-14, 7-8)

When: Saturday, February 24th, @ 7:00 PM Eastern

Where: FAU Arena

Series: North Texas has dominated this series, 12-3.

TV: None

Live Video: CUSA.tv *FEE

Radio: ESPN 106.3

North Texas Team Site: Here

North Texas at a Glance:

Offense - 74.0 PPG, 45% FG, 35% 3PT

Defense - 72.0 PPGA, 44% FGA, 33% 3PTA

Rebounding - 37.5 PG Mean Green, 33.9 PG Opponents

Notables

One year removed from a last place finish in C-USA, the North Texas Mean Green have enjoyed moderate success in their 2017-2018 campaign. Currently sitting pretty at seventh place in C-USA, UNT has their ticket punched to the conference tournament. Currently, a four game skid has hurt the seeding outlooks for the Mean Green. But those loses should come with an asterisk, as all four have been by single digits, including an OT thriller to Western Kentucky.

The Mean Green can attribute their turnaround season to C-USA's fourth best scorer, Guard Roosevelt Smart. Originally a high three-star SG, Smart was the #8 player from Illinois in 2015, according to 247. Since arriving in Denton from the JuCO ranks, Smart has averaged 19.2 PPG and 39% 3FG.

FAU at a Glance

Offense - 68.6 PPG, 41% FG, 33% 3PT

Defense - 69.2 PPGA, 43% FGA, 35% 3PTA

Rebounding - 38.4 Owls, 36.8 Opponents

Notables

It is Senior Night at The Burrow. Ronald Delph, Gerdarius Troutman, Justin Massey, William Pfister, and Payton Hulsey will all bid faraway to the FAU faithful. As a collective, this is one of the most talented classes in the history of FAU Men's Basketball. The Owls will need them all to play at their best level in order to fight off a scrappy UNT side. FAU will be bound for the C-USA Tournament with a win and a Rice loss.

Latest Line

FAU -1

When I'm not in school, I'm schooling the CUSA Twitter game; Follow Me Here
Back to the top

Delph, Massey, Pfister, and and Hulsey start in their final game at The Burrow. Troutman will come in off the bench again, rounding out the graduating class.

Back to the top

Owls race to a quick 6-0 lead, forcing the Mean Green to an early timeout. FAU is moving the ball quickly up the court on a couple of fast break opportunities.

Back to the top

UNT star Roosevelt Smart heads to the bench after committing a pair of early fouls.

Back to the top

I take full responsibility for jinxing the team tonight. UNT easily ties the game, even with Smart riding the bench.

Back to the top

It's gone from bad to worse for the Owls. North Texas takes the lead, as FAU goes ICE COLD, which is followed by Jailyn Ingram leaving the court with an injury.

Back to the top

Owls go into the half with the lead. That was quite the final 3.5 minutes to end the half. FAU couldn't miss, while UNT struggled with turnovers and poor shot selection.

Back to the top

Very strange half when it comes to the stat sheet.

FAU is shooting 48% FG, but with 10 more attempts than UNT.

Both sides are struggling to hold onto the ball, with UNT committing 11 TO's to FAU's 9.

Owls are also giving up too many offensive rebounds, UNT has 11 to FAU's 2.

Finally, Justin Massey is on pace for a career day on his Senior Night.

Back to the top

JUST IN: FAU to rename the Men's Basketball team from the "Owls" to the "Justin Masseys"

Back to the top

It is ALL FAU right now. Owls can put this away by extending this run to 20.

Back to the top
Control functions: