Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Skip navigation

GAME THREAD: North Texas vs FAU - 01/19/13 @ 7:00 PM

Add topic

Re: GAME THREAD: North Texas vs FAU - 01/19/13 @ 7:00 PM

GAME THREAD: North Texas vs FAU - 01/19/13 @ 7:00 PM

I think we really needed this one to prove that we are a legitimate contender for the conference title. Granted there's still plenty of ball to be played but the inconsistencies with this team really worry me. The other night against Troy, we looked like we were turning the corner a little bit to be tournament caliber team. After tonight, I still don't know who this team really is.
Back to the top

FINAL QUICK STATS:

UNT 37.5% FG, 22.2% 3PT

FAU 37.5% FG, 35.0% 3PT

Tony Mitchell returns to form after not scoring against FIU to post 24 points and 8 boards.

Greg Gantt has 22 points for the Owls, with Moody adding 12.

Sekelja continues making progress, with 8 points (4-of-8) and 7 boards.

UNT takes the glass 38-36, and registers 6 blocks to the Owls' 3.

FAU goes 10-of-17 at the line (58.8%).

On a positive note:

The Owls register a positive assist to turnover ratio, although slim at 13-to-12.
Back to the top

ERROR: A link was posted here (img) but it appears to be a broken link.

Back to the top

Owl_Ranger said

I think we really needed this one to prove that we are a legitimate contender for the conference title. Granted there's still plenty of ball to be played but the inconsistencies with this team really worry me. The other night against Troy, we looked like we were turning the corner a little bit to be tournament caliber team. After tonight, I still don't know who this team really is.

Agreed, they were kind of disjointed tonight, all around. But I will say they came back from a big deficit early in the game. A few weeks ago I think we would have folded, so of there is a positive , that's it. I don't understand not calling to at the end there, but it may not have mattered anyway. Tough and frustrating loss
Back to the top

Tough loss. This came down to all the little things about the game of basketball, boxing out and making free throws. We fought hard to come back after struggling early. That shows some heart and maturity. However, we are very young and we just cannot put teams away yet. That's at least 3 games now (ULM, Stetson and now UNT) that we should have won had we just made a couple plays to seal the game. I'll point to two things tonight: we make one more box out to prevent them from that stupid lay up at the end of the game or we make ONE more free throw and we win this game.

Not calling a time out at the end of the game is quite puzzling, especially because we usually get good shots out of our time outs. I'm interested to hear Coach's explanation.

Also, I'm bummed we lost because the students showed a little more support and a game like this could do wonders for boosting attendance.
Back to the top

It was so frustrating to see them drive right to the basket, unchallenged, especially late. UNT had so many jams. And the turnovers! So undisciplined. This game was so winnable.

Back to the top
Control functions: